LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

2015 Preseason Game 2: Thoughts on the second preseason game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Buchy:
My thoughts:

1) Kap was fine, I think we're just working some fundamentals and knocking the rust off him and I like what I have seen in terms of the rhythm to the game for him. Nice reading and pass to Hyde, same again to McDonald and a good pass to Torrey Smith as well. His ball placement looks better and he looks a little calmer out there.

2) Hyde is going to be a beast. Really impressed by him.

3) Oline run blocking is impressive, need to tighten up pass blocking and not sure on Martin yet, he needs time to grow and develop and I would rather see Thomas start at RG.

4) Davis looks good as well, he will be a great 2nd back as he develops.

5) Defense looked massively improved and I think we will see in the top 10 or even top 5 if we can generate pass rush.

Agree. The running game and defense looks legit. I think we can ride those two things alone to a winning record, and I believe the passing game will be improved with this emphasis on tempo, rhythm, outlets to the RBs.
Thoughts on Okoye?
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Thoughts on Okoye?

He was pretty consistently driving linemen back into the pocket again this week. Dude is incredibly strong.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Thoughts on Okoye?

He was pretty consistently driving linemen back into the pocket again this week. Dude is incredibly strong.
he will never unseat purcell . never
Always love this thread.

Armstead - I think what we are seeing is him playing his way into game shape. Despite missing most of the summer he is doing pretty well imho. The whole 1st round cliche of him supposed to come in dominating is beyond me. The first 5-10 picks, agreed they should be starting caliber right off the bat… but any draft scout will always say there is only X number of guys worthy of first round picks and the number is usually in the low teens. There is a reason the guy on the jets was picked early compared to others lasting past the 1st 10 picks. Armstead is doing very well considering constant double teams and not being in game shape just yet. He has shown some good football IQ already and will only get better.

Davis - another RB showing promise. Need Rathman to get on him about some of his dancing but so far it has not been too excessive. Learning to take what one can get is very teachable. One or two cuts and then just go forward, can trust TR to get that through to him.

Lemonier - Disappointing again. Gets caught up too easily with the lineman and has no 2nd move.

Patton - Ill give him a pass on his bonehead play cause its preseason and everyone is trying to do something spectacular. Though the Simpson suspension may have saved his roster spot for some time.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Thoughts on Okoye?

who has the bet you or NC ?
Thoughts on Okoye?

Put Okoye and Armstead around Purcell. Impenetrable!
It looks like the running game will be fine...so I hope the passing game is a point of emphasis in the dress rehearsal 3rd game. From Kaepernick to the receivers to the OL, gotta think a crisp, clean, efficient performance would give them a boost of confidence and ease concerns heading into the regular season.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Thoughts on Okoye?

who has the bet you or NC ?
i just do not believe this guy will make it, it has nothing to do with my possible improbable name change should he make it. at least hayne has made plays, he has been a difference maker. all we know from my son is that is has been "disruptive". i just think he has to show more against number ones and twos before he can think about making this roster which is deep in talent in my opinion , especially along the line. now if one of the d lineman guys all of a sudden come down with some bad injury then we have a different conversation
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
It looks like the running game will be fine...so I hope the passing game is a point of emphasis in the dress rehearsal 3rd game. From Kaepernick to the receivers to the OL, gotta think a crisp, clean, efficient performance would give them a boost of confidence and ease concerns heading into the regular season.

yes please... run game averaging 5 a pop and run blocking has been great. Can we please work on the pass blocking and passing game? Give guys like Patton, Ellington, White, Bell, Celek a chance to show what they got and earn their spot although some are already locks they still need the confidence boost.

So what I want to see:
Hayne get more work at RB
Hunter start and get lots of work
a lot more passing (dont have to show our stuff but move the ball and get these guys some confidence)
pass protection
purcell and okoye to play early, see who gets the 7th dl spot if they keep 7.
acker/reaser get work early
ward and mccray get some work against 1st/2nd string, we know what dahl brings
score a touchdown (or 2!) especially on 1st string offense
continue to get armstead and carradine plenty of work
skov and bishop need time to settle that battle if we keep 5. (if bellore is 5 for st)

Great job as always Marvin49. So excited to see 49ers football out there. We keep improving & the defense shows signs of being a very dangerous & exciting to elite type of defense for sure.
I thought as a whole the team played pretty inspired. My only negative coming out of this game was settling for 3 points when they get in to the red zone.
As for Patton, if he breaks that one after losing yards everyone would be all over him. He tried, he failed, it's preseason. He made up for it with a TD on special teams later on. The guy has talent. I'd like to see him get some passes and get in to the flow of the game and see how he fares if he doesn't have to try to over-compensate for his lack of opportunities.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Marvin, you were listening to 95.7 this morning weren't you? All I could do was roll my eyes and shrug it off when I heard them comparing Hayne and Armstead. Comments like that show us exactly how much football knowledge they really have

Oh and whenever that caller with the thick Filipino accents gets on I have to turn the radio off.

Apparently they missed him eating two blockers on Eli's sack too...
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Marvin, you were listening to 95.7 this morning weren't you? All I could do was roll my eyes and shrug it off when I heard them comparing Hayne and Armstead. Comments like that show us exactly how much football knowledge they really have

Oh and whenever that caller with the thick Filipino accents gets on I have to turn the radio off.

Yes.

They are terrible...especially considering Lorenzo Neal is one of them. I don't have an issue with him, but the other guys are terrible. They've had jems like "Kap isn't smart because he wears a wristband for the plays". Um, so do Brady and Luck.

There was a time in my life where I used to love talk radio. Then, I started to realize that they really had no clue what they were talking about and did nothing more than regurgitate popular misconceptions for the sake of having
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Yes.

They are terrible...especially considering Lorenzo Neal is one of them. I don't have an issue with him, but the other guys are terrible. They've had jems like "Kap isn't smart because he wears a wristband for the plays". Um, so do Brady and Luck.

There was a time in my life where I used to love talk radio. Then, I started to realize that they really had no clue what they were talking about and did nothing more than regurgitate popular misconceptions for the sake of having something to air.

95.7 the game used to be pretty decent when they first hit the airwaves. They've changed radio hosts a lot over the years, and now they're complete garbage. It's actually excruciating to listen to, especially when they talk football. They have no clue what they're talking about.
What is the best 49er sport talk radio? I'm not from the area, I'm stuck in the Green Bay area, so I'm not familiar with the radio in SF. I enjoy sport talk radio but not when it's all Packers. Any suggestions? 95.7 the game seems to be more Raiders
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

they don't understand complex concepts.
armstead was disruptive. he pushes lineman back into the qb. he jumps and bats passes down. he is a menace. and he's just getting started.

I'm telling ya, if we put AA on one side and the Brit on the other during passing situations with some speed on the outside (Lynch, Harold) they will destroy the offense...
Share 49ersWebzone