LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Running Back Position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by Cattledog:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
No one would trade us for a twice injured veteran RB by the name of Hunter.

Maybe Hayne makes the team, but its not at the expense of RB. I dont care what his YPC were. There is no way I see him as an effect inside runner. I dont even think he'll be effect against first string defenses. He's strong with great vision, but lacks real speed and runs way too high.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Dont sleep on Hunter.

Hey guys, I am from down under, so forgive the lack of understanding.
What is the big deal with 'running high' and 'above pad level'.
Down under we play a pretty brutal contact sport, which goes non stop for 40 minutes each half, 17 men on each side, 12 replacements per game, 13 on the field at one time, 6 tackles in offense and then you get your line set quick smart and prepare for 6 tackles in defence. No pads, no helmets etc.
So not sure about the significance of 'pad height' and 'running high'
It sounds by reading some other posts here, it is more of a player 'self preservation' issue.
Jarryd's mixed it up with plenty of Front Rowers, Second Rowers and Locks before down south, so not sure he is particularly interested in 'self preservation', and is prepared to take a risk of personal safety in order to make some yards. Is it not up to him?
Or is it best to play 'safety football' and take 'no risks' and get a pissweak outcome.
I always thought that Risk and Opportunity are friends, but the way you guys are talking, that is not always necessarily the case in NFL or acceptable?
For a novice, why not?

It is a little of both. Yes running high makes you susceptible to getting lit up and your opinion on how he will hold up to that is certainly valid...but Pad height is key to making good yards in traffic in the American game also. If you run high in tight spaces it is much easier for the defenders who are often several inches to a foot taller and more than 100 lbs heavier to get their hands on you as you run through the gaps. Also the linebackers and secondary can see you much more clearly coming out of the backfield and are more able to anticipate what gap you will hit and meet you there at the hole.

Both good points, but im pretty sure the coaches are teaching him proper RB skill. He is a Rookie in the NFL, he does need to learn to run low ( Gore was great at that ). I have a good feeling Haynes will make the team and do fine here.
Originally posted by Constantine:
Both good points, but im pretty sure the coaches are teaching him proper RB skill. He is a Rookie in the NFL, he does need to learn to run low ( Gore was great at that ). I have a good feeling Haynes will make the team and do fine here.

I hope he learns to get low at the right times and not completely alter his running style.
  • JaGuR
  • Veteran
So what I am hearing regarding Hayne is, he is a great pt, doesn't need to change anything, but as a rb, just design one or two plays a game for him, that suits his running style and forget all the stuff where he needs to get low.

Getting low will come to him eventually I guess :/

We had a really nice race horse once, could really gallop, only problem was he used to run with his head very high.

We added rings to his gear that forced him to lower his head when he galloped, but the problem was he couldn't stretch out and was terrible at galloping.

I hope adding rings to Haynes gear doesn't stop him from stretching out :)
[ Edited by JaGuR on Sep 2, 2015 at 4:32 AM ]
Originally posted by Geckko:
I hope he learns to get low at the right times and not completely alter his running style.

We will see, I have more faith that he'll learn the potion then being a bust
Share 49ersWebzone