LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Preseason 2 - The Good, the Bad, The Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The Good:

1. If I was Jim Tomosula I would name Jaryd Hayne the starting punt and kick returner. First time I have looked forward to punt returns.
2. Mike Purcell, is it just me or did he make the roster and make someone else gone or traded
3. Mike Davis 4th round RB
4. HURRY up offense, no threat of delay of game penalty
5. We watched a calm head coach on the sideline
6. throwing to RB
7. Special team play

The bad:
1. Is it me, or is Marcus Martin struggling
2. Gaskins is not an NFL RB, Hayne looked so much better
3. Long passing game, non existent

The ugly:
1. if you are in two fights during practice, please show up on the game tape Tank Carradine
2. Vance McDonald appears to have as many injuries as catches
3. Shank Skov in coverage
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
Offense starting to scare me. Maybe once bush is in their opens it up some. Red zone we just collapse. Smith needs to make that catch. We look like we made progress from last week so that's good.

The defender made a great play. That isn't going to happen the majority of the time.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:

The Bad:

-The WRs as a group did not look very good. Was hoping a player would emerge for the WR3 position, but this group feels thin once again.

Exactly how are the WR's supposed to emerge when most of them didn't get more than 1 target, and then you throw in Thompson in the 3rd quarter and that is pretty much the end of any possibility for the passing game. Anderson made a nice play but that was it. It seemed like they were more than content to just run the ball again, as long as the passing game gets short shrift, don't expect much from it, if you can't throw on vanilla preseason defenses, it does not bode well for the regular season.

It is hard to get a read on any of the WR's with how anemic the passing offense has been and especially the issues with pass blocking thus far.
Good
Bowman looks great
Purcell played well
Hyde looked good
Hayne impressed

Bad
Arik Armstead is not 1st round talent..way too raw and too long of a learning curve for a team that needs talent now

Ugly
Marcus Martin..I'm just not sure if he is really this bad
good: faster paced offense

bad: redzone offense

ugly: aj jenkins making catches
That big fella Purcell with the intercept TD is the greatest thing i have ever seen,bigger than Godzilla and still faster than everyone in Australia
o line still sucks, esp. the right side. I wish they would've put boone at that RT and let Kilgore, Looney, Thomas, and Martin battle it out for the interior line positions. But then again, I'm not getting paid the big bucks to run a football team.
Originally posted by Tulip:
THE HAYNE PLAYNE

He's played 2 football games in his life, already becoming a fan favorite. That 34 yard run he switched carrying hands and threw a brutal stiff arm in one smooth motion. He's had 18 touches 235 yards how many stiff arms and ankle breaking moves? He honestly looks like one of the best return men in the game, Reggie Bush ain't no slouch either
Originally posted by kezar49er:
Good
Bowman looks great
Purcell played well
Hyde looked good
Hayne impressed

Bad
Arik Armstead is not 1st round talent..way too raw and too long of a learning curve for a team that needs talent now

Ugly
Marcus Martin..I'm just not sure if he is really this bad

Armstead was in the backfield and collapsing the pocket quite a few times. He played pretty well IMO
offensive play calling in the redzone was bad. The ghost of Roman and his stained pizza boxes haunts this team.

Here is what I'm thinking:

I liked Kap. Looked good and calm and this O line is giving him time.

As far as #3 WR, I really believe Bruce Ellington of healthy can be a good slot wide receiver and a #3.

Hyde looked great tonight and can't wait to watch him this year.

Defense looked disruptive and Bo is another animal. Love that guy so much. Moody also played well along with Skov and a good game today was played by Desmond Bishop. Sure tackling, spin move to create pressure! Sure it was against a 4th string running back but a good play is a good play.

Cornerbacks looked good. Acker played well (hope he is okay) and Reaser was really sticking his guy. I liked Dontae too I think he is a real good find in that draft. Can't wait for Ward to join this group I think he will be good.

Tartt looked so good. I like a young Kam Chancellor comparison. Sure he isn't as amazing in coverage or nearly what Kam is but I like the comparison and potential. McCray looked very good too and a special teams beast.

D Line was awesome. Purcell is making the team (Bye TJE I think) and Armstead had a good pass deflection and caused good pressure. Give him time. Also, The line backers in Harold and Lynch. Lynch looked great today. Harold has potential and goes and gives his all every play.

Hayne looked awesome. The guy is so fun to watch and I would take him over Hunter at this point.

Overall I have huge optimism for this year I think we can shock the world. Can't wait for this year boys.

Go 9ers.
Hayne is a stud, no doubt about. Still needs work but man is he fun to watch. Purcell played well again, Tartt had a nice hit. Pinion continuing to prove he can do the job. Liked Mike Davis a lot as well. I'm beginning to wonder if Kendal Hunter makes the team this year. Armstead showed some strength as did Dial. I think the defensive line might be pretty good this year. Now if only the team had a QB. Kaepernick once again held the ball to long and rolled away from a check down receiver who was wide open on the other side of the field. He ended up throwing the ball away which is a slight improvement over running out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. If it's true that the team will only go as far as he carries them then I think we are looking at another long season. I have never been that big a fan of his but I have to admit I like Kaep less and less every time I see him play.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Hayne is a stud, no doubt about. Still needs work but man is he fun to watch. Purcell played well again, Tartt had a nice hit. Pinion continuing to prove he can do the job. Liked Mike Davis a lot as well. I'm beginning to wonder if Kendal Hunter makes the team this year. Armstead showed some strength as did Dial. I think the defensive line might be pretty good this year. Now if only the team had a QB. Kaepernick once again held the ball to long and rolled away from a check down receiver who was wide open on the other side of the field. He ended up throwing the ball away which is a slight improvement over running out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. If it's true that the team will only go as far as he carries them then I think we are looking at another long season. I have never been that big a fan of his but I have to admit I like Kaep less and less every time I see him play.

Originally posted by 9erred:
The Good:

1. If I was Jim Tomosula I would name Jaryd Hayne the starting punt and kick returner. First time I have looked forward to punt returns.
2. Mike Purcell, is it just me or did he make the roster and make someone else gone or traded
3. Mike Davis 4th round RB
4. HURRY up offense, no threat of delay of game penalty
5. We watched a calm head coach on the sideline
6. throwing to RB
7. Special team play

The bad:
1. Is it me, or is Marcus Martin struggling
2. Gaskins is not an NFL RB, Hayne looked so much better
3. Long passing game, non existent

The ugly:
1. if you are in two fights during practice, please show up on the game tape Tank Carradine
2. Vance McDonald appears to have as many injuries as catches
3. Shank Skov in coverage

Tank was injured, hard to get on tape if your not out there
Originally posted by 49ers81:

He had 6 pass attempts lol...chill out.
Share 49ersWebzone