LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 329 users in the forums

Preseason 2 - The Good, the Bad, The Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Stud
The good:

-Offense looked awesome. (1st drive) Kap's passes look terrific. Even the play to Torrey Smith was well thrown (well defended by the Cowboys CB)
-Carlos Hyde looked terrific
-Jarryd Hayne. How can this guy not make the team?
-Dontae Johnson. Nice defensive play in the 4th and had an interception later on
-Arik Armstead. Was double teamed and still pushing guys back, plus he batted down a pass that caused the Cowboys to turn the ball over on downs
-Jaquiski Tartt, nice big hit on A.J. Jenkins
-The entire Defense was phenomenal
-Special Teams was awesome.

The Bad
- 2 preseason games, 1 offensive TD
-Red zone issues still persist
-2nd string O line sucked
-Patton's 15-20 yard loss. LOL.
[ Edited by Stud on Aug 23, 2015 at 8:11 PM ]
  • Tulip
  • Veteran
THE HAYNE PLAYNE
  • Stud
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Torrey should have caught that ball...

Meh, it was also well defended.
Originally posted by Stud:
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Torrey should have caught that ball...

Meh, it was also well defended.

True but kap needs as much confidence as possible so he should have caught it. No more excuses this year for being in the bottom half of total offense. Hyde looks great along with hayne setting up good field position + Torrey and Boldin and the oline doesnt look like complete trash. Play calling and tempo actually looks like an nfl offense.

if we are even close to as bad as last year on offense it will be a huge shame.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
For as much flack as Trent Baalke gets on the board from everyone, I've been impressed by the young players drafted over the last 2 years through the 1st 2 games.
The Red Zone is such a tough space to move the ball with the players compressed together. The QB really needs to anticipate the defense and throw into small windows. In the Red Zone - they never let Kap throw into the middle. Hmmmmm.

But I think Kap is showing progress and will improve there.
I think that was good defense by the Dallas defender. Not gonna fault Smith on that 1
Good:
  • D hitting their stride & looking nasty as ever, got some depth there too.
  • Ladies & Gentlemen the 49ers have found their new return man Mr J.Hayne.
  • Nice work from the RB's Hyde & Davis (Also Hayne on his 1 speed bike. )
Bad:
  • Passing Offense or lack thereof.
  • Penalties.
  • Patton's epic loss of yards.
  • The game when the 4th stringers got on.
The Good
>That looked like a real NFL offense for once in 4 years - they actually got to the line and didn't look lost, lol.
>The defense - 1st unit impressive, even the 2nd and thirds showed improvement - very nice
>CBs look a little raw, but talented

The Bad
-OLB depth looks highly questionable
-Kap sack - looked too much like last year - still gotta get that out of the offense's system

The Ugly
-Nothing struck me as terrible

BTW - Where is Kendall Hunter??? I haven't heard anything about him in camp and no appearances in games yet. Is he still injured?
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Ugly:We need to get the passing game going. Kap and the Oline look out of Sync.

Patton, I was really hoping this guy would step up but it's not looking to good for him.

#3 QB . Horrendous.

Good: Geep Chryst, The first 2 series we had were very impressive and fun to watch.

Hyde looked in mid season form.

Hayne is for real. Really excited about this guy.

Mike Purcell IMO is in the cusp of being a force on this D Line.

Tartt/McCray those guys are vicious. Those two playing safety was really nice to see.

To sum it up, there were more goods than bads this game. I see the offense getting better on the ground game, Im hoping week 3 we can see the passing game be a little more cleaner.

I was also really impressed with the depth of our D Line,it seemed that they kept up the pressure all game long.

Last but not least: Bowman It was really nice to see that guy out there, were a totally different unit with him. It was really something special to see.

Originally posted by HearstFan:
The Good
>That looked like a real NFL offense for once in 4 years - they actually got to the line and didn't look lost, lol.
>The defense - 1st unit impressive, even the 2nd and thirds showed improvement - very nice

The Bad
-Kap sack - looked too much like last year - still gotta get that out of the offense's system

The Ugly
-The Wrong way Patton run

BTW - Where is Kendall Hunter??? I haven't heard anything about him in camp and no appearances in games yet. Is he still injured?

Fixed
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Hunter dressed for the game but didn't play.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
The Good

The Bad

The Ugly
-Nothing struck me as terrible

The bolded is what I'm most pleased about. Kap doesn't look confused or like he's scrambling to get all the adjustments and calls in. He look comfortable and in control. Of course, it is only preseason, but if this continues on into the season I think we'll see a much more efficient and exciting offense.
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
The bolded is what I'm most pleased about. Kap doesn't look confused or like he's scrambling to get all the adjustments and calls in. He look comfortable and in control. Of course, it is only preseason, but if this continues on into the season I think we'll see a much more efficient and exciting offense.

Looks like the games slowed down a bit for him too. I know, I know, this is too early.
The Good:

-Navorro Bowman: He looked great. 3 plays, 3 tackles, 3 and out. Love to see 53 on the field and playing ball.

-Jarryd Hayne: He is a sick punt returner. He has shown great hands, a sudden burst, nice wiggles, a strong finish, and great ball protection. The way he shifts the ball from one side to the other and throws that stiff arm, you can tell that he's done that before in his rugby league. Impressive stuff so far. Im even getting on board for him to get some carries at RB. He's got the tools to be great at that too.

-Overall Defense: Saw lots of stunts and blitzes and a ramped up secondary. This defense felt dramatically different than last years. Fangio didn't blitz much and sat back with the secondary. This Mangini defense looks like an attacking defense that wants to force turnovers. I like it.

-Pinion and LJ McCray: Pinion hit some great punts today and sent at least two kickoffs out the back of the end zone. McCray looks like a specials teams ace out there as well. These two, along with Hayne, has me excited for our special teams play this season.

-Offensive line: The group is mauling in the run game right now, and that is a bit surprising considering the losses incurred this offseason. Hyde, Hayne, and Davis each looked really good running today. Miller was great as always with his lead blocking.

The Bad:

-The WRs as a group did not look very good. Was hoping a player would emerge for the WR3 position, but this group feels thin once again.

-Not much else stood out as bad.

The Ugly:

-Patton's 20 yard loss.
Share 49ersWebzone