LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

2015 Preseason Game 1: Thoughts on the first preseason game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Good analysis Marv.

Agree about McCray - he was hustling and getting in on the action

I thought Acker tackled very well

Pinion averaged 48.8 - good first time outing.

Dawson looked strong.

I haven't been this anxious for the next preseason game in a long while.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
How does this play work in the rule book? The ball was released "out of bounds" even though he was technically "in bounds". How do they determine if it reached the LOS?

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/intentionalgrounding

Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

I think the bigger issue is Kap not releasing that ball sooner rather than chancing losing yardage, as he has so many times in the past. After only one series, and a short one at that, it's far too early to evaluate any progress (or lack thereof) he may have made since last year. i'm anxious to see what transpires form here on out, not just with Kap, but the entire team and coaching as well.
Nice work, Marv. Like you, I still don't know what to expect, but the only real thing that concerns me at this point is the pass rush. The Niners run D, offensive line and their young safeties look better than expected IMO. The pass rush.................ugh. Different story. It will be intriguing to see what Baalke does with all the money they did not have to spend on Aldon. My hope is they bring in someone from the outside to supplant Lemonier, because he still looks awful.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
As I said in the last post there...I have less idea of what to expect than in any season in the recent past. No idea.

To me, the biggest losses were the last two...Anthony Davis and Aldon Smith. Before those I was feeling pretty good. Now...no clue. I like a lot of the young players, but they are exactly that. Young, UNPROVEN players.

Aldon is by far the biggest blow.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
As I said in the last post there...I have less idea of what to expect than in any season in the recent past. No idea.

To me, the biggest losses were the last two...Anthony Davis and Aldon Smith. Before those I was feeling pretty good. Now...no clue. I like a lot of the young players, but they are exactly that. Young, UNPROVEN players.

not true, what if we had the 2013 aldon or worse the 2014 aldon

Yeah I didn't expect that. I thought our defense would be fine. Now with no pass rush I don't know what to expect.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Yeah I didn't expect that. I thought our defense would be fine. Now with no pass rush I don't know what to expect.
geez..Saturday wasn't our Regular season starting line up
Myth Buster...we are not "young" where it matters.

Of the 29 starting positions we have...
Veteran Starters (3 or more years of experience) – 21 (18 of 21 with playoff experience); average age of our veteran starters = 7+ years
First Year Starters – 6 (Most of these players have 2-5 years of NFL experience but are expected to start for the first time with us; ALL have been with only us while growing within our offensive and defensive systems)
Rookie Starter – 1 (Bradley Pinion)
Second Year Starter – 1 (Jimmie Ward)
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

and your point is?
Originally posted by NCommand:

Veteran Starters (3 or more years of experience) – 21 (18 of 21 with playoff experience); average age of our veteran starters = 7+ years
First Year Starters – 6 (Most of these players have 2-5 years of NFL experience but are expected to start for the first time with us; ALL have been with only us while growing within our offensive and defensive systems)

Booyah. We're a young team, but not relying on rookies. Most of these guys have been with the team for a few years and spent time developing. People wondering why we were hoarding draft picks all these years...this season is why.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 17, 2015 at 4:08 PM ]

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Booyah. We're a young team, but not relying on rookies. Most of these guys have been with the team for a few years and spent time developing. People wondering why we were hoarding draft picks all these years...this season is why.

And here is the proof:

Player --- Starter --- (NFL Experience)
Kaepernick, Colin (5) - Veteran Starter
Gabbert, Blaine (5)
Hyde, Carlos (2) - First Year Starter
Davis, Mike (0)
Bush, Reggie (10) - Veteran Starter
Hunter, Kendall (5)
Carrier, Derek (3) - Veteran Starter
Millard, Trey (1)
Davis, Vernon (10) - Veteran Starter
McDonald, Vance (3)
Bell, Blake (0)
Miller, Bruce (5)- Veteran Starter
Smith, Torrey (5)- Veteran Starter
Simpson, Jerome (6)
Ellington, Bruce (2) - First Year Starter
White, DeAndrew (0)
Boldin, Anquan (13) - Veteran Starter
Anderson, Dres (0)
Smelter, DeAndre (0)
Staley, Joe (9) - Veteran Starter
Boone, Alex (6) - Veteran Starter
Farrell, Dillon (2)
Looney, Joe (4) - First Year Starter
Kilgore, Daniel (5)
Martin, Marcus (2) - First Year Starter
Thomas, Brandon (1)
Pears, Erik (9) - Veteran Starter
Brown, Trenton (0)
Dial, Quinton (2) - First Year Starter
Carradine, Tank (3)
Armstead, Arik (0)
Williams, Ian (5) - Veteran Starter
Dorsey, Glenn (8) - Veteran Starter
Dockett, Darnell (12)
Brooks, Ahmad (10) - Veteran Starter
Harold, Eli (0)
Wilhoite, Michael (4) - Veteran Starter
Moody, Nick (3)
Bowman, NaVorro (6) - Veteran Starter
Bellore, Nick (5)
Lynch, Aaron (2) - First Year Starter
Lemonier, Corey (3)
Wright, Shareece (5) - Veteran Starter
Johnson, Dontae (2)
Acker, Kenneth (2)
Ward, Jimmie (2) - Second Year Starter
Reaser, Keith (1)
Brock, Tramaine (6) - Veteran Starter
Reid, Eric (3) - Veteran Starter
McCray, L.J. (2)
Bethea, Antoine (10) - Veteran Starter
Tartt, Jaquiski (0)
Nelson, Kyle (4) - Veteran Starter
Dawson, Phil (17) - Veteran Starter
Pinion, Bradley (0) - First Year Starter

PS: I didn't even include Jerome Simpson (6) and Darnell Dockett (12) in those averages b/c they are not base 'starters.'
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 17, 2015 at 4:17 PM ]
^^ Excellent
There was a lot of miscommunication on defense, as well as some missed tackles it seemed. Still, they were w/o docket and bowman I think the lbs had a bad day. Like everybody else, I liked the depth of the D-line and especially Purcell-we'll see if he can be consistent.

Same with Hayne's play, if he can be consistent, especially in ST's play, no way he makes it to practice squad.

Our biggest depth and the two position groups will look at on our team are I believe TE, RB and DL (maybe wr)
One thing I noticed on defense is how much this team is in trent baalke's design. So many long big athletic looking player. My gosh, their arm length as a team on defense is ridiculous. Look at armstead and okoye when they were standing next to each other, they looked the same. The secondary you see the same thing, from brock to dontae to acker reaser, and tartt.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

and your point is?
Share 49ersWebzone