LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 304 users in the forums

2015 Preseason Game 1: Thoughts on the first preseason game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Kap: Not much to say. Abbreviated performance. Nice little pass to Boldin, missed Torrey deep, threw third pass away with nobody open. On the QBs in general, it was nice to see Gabbert be competent....and we need another #3 QB. Thomspon was awful.

2) Torrey Smith: THIS JUST IN - He's Fast. Man it was really nice if even for one play to see a guy with Jets like that running through the other teams secondary. Still a work in progress to get their timing right...but that was REALLY nice to see.

3) Hyde: Only 2 carries, but I liked what I saw in Hyde. I was there for the SBL Holder event and he was the best player on the field. Spinning, hitting the hole quickly, cutting back on those new stretch run plays. If he stays healthy I think he could be in for a big year.

4) Hayne: OK peeps...lets slow down a bit. :) He looked good, but he had a HUGE hole to run through on that 53 yarder. He still runs WAY too upright. He did look good in the open field though and I liked the way he fielded the kicks and made defenders miss. I think he has a future as a kick returner, but he's still got a LONG way to go as a RB.

5) Mike Davis: Limited opportunities, but his similarities to Garrison Hearst don't end at his jersey number. GREAT body lean and quickness for a man his size. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

6) Jaquiski Tartt: Really liked what I saw. Still a young, raw player but he really flashed a few times. So did McCray for that matter. Safety is a position of strength and I think Dahls time may be done in SF.

7) Arik Armstead and rest of D-Line: Pretty much echo everything Tomsula said. Some real good (pancake of an O-Lineman), some good (recognized the screen but held the guy), and some bad (got pushed clear out of the play at times). I was reading some tweets of people talking to John Middlekoff and they were talking about how disappointed they were on how slow he looked and how he didn't get a big rush. Um...he's a 3-4 end. I think some people are looking for Derrick Thomas when they should be looking for Ray McDonald. He's a work in progress, but we always knew that. He'll never be a 15 sack guy but we already knew that.

As for the rest of the line, Purcell really stood out but almost all of them played very well. Tank was a bit invisible, but Lawrence Okoye looks like an NFL player. That's a HUGE step up from the last few years. Tons of depth here. D-Line might be best unit on the team.

8) 400 yards: The D gave up 400 yards...but lets be real here for a sec. Manginis defense will be far different than Fangios. I'm not saying better...only saying different. They will NEVER play CLOSE to as vanilla as they did Saturday Night. No scheming, very few blitzes. THAT. WILL. CHANGE. Whether that's for the better or worse...we'll just have to see.

9) O-Line: Really hard to make any judgment, although the first string line held up better than expected. Then again, Watt and Wilfork didn't play. Still, Kap had all day on the deep pass to Torrey. The line seemed to move really well on those stretch runs. The line struggled late and Thomson didn't do them any favors, but I was pleasantly surprised by the "starting" line.

10) One game down: After watching one game, I'm intrigued by a few guys, but more than any season I can remember I still have really no idea what to expect this year. It does make the preseason more enjoyable than normal though. :)
Nice breakdown but I'm pretty sure Kap did not actually throw that ball away. I know the stats show he did and I know he actually did but I've seen plenty of people on here saying he didn't and he has no football IQ so it must be true.
They need to tighten up the run defense, especially along the edge. I'm not too worry about the pass rush or pass coverage at this point . Run D comes first.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 17, 2015 at 1:20 PM ]
As for the first string D i wouldn't judge them too harshly. Even though it seems odd some of those guys werne't giving 100%. Bethea straight up half assed his tackle attempt on that TD pass. Once the real games start up I would expect him to make that play.
The offensive line looked a lot better than I thought they would. The D-line was stronger than I thought it would be. Hayne was a lot better than I would have expected from a guy in his first NFL game. That long rainbow to Smith is going to be something we see a lot of this year I think and that's exciting. The pace of the offense was unlike anything we've seen in the last 4 or 5 years. I thought it was much more encouraging than I expected overall.
Originally posted by genus49:
Nice breakdown but I'm pretty sure Kap did not actually throw that ball away. I know the stats show he did and I know he actually did but I've seen plenty of people on here saying he didn't and he has no football IQ so it must be true.

It looked like he threw it away to me. What did it looked like he was doing to you...
JT sure answered a lot of questions and somehow cemented the #2 QB with Gabs. Wow, what makeover. Congrats to Logan, Geep, JT. OL looked way better with ZBS than I had hoped, and DL stop on goal line, 9 times was something to remember all yr. I bet they do. WRs, impressed. TEs the same. DBs still a question, but there were 8 major questions coming into 1st PS game, and including coaching, all but DBs were answered. Not saying everything was great, but you can see the possibilities. Prior to game, I wondered about virtually everything. Makeover is complete, and will get better. Plus we found out about some new upcoming stars in Hayne and Purcell(who?). Also pinion. A really good start.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

It looked like he threw it away to me. What did it looked like he was doing to you...

All sarcasm aside, that whole play being harped on is a lot about nothing. Kap made a good presnap read (man coverage, middle open), he elected to work the top concept of a multi concept play (fly-slant top of screen, spot concept bottom), which had man busting capabilities. Boldin was open, but kap had to red light it because Hou defender (#95) made his presence felt and would've batted the ball. Kap then broke the pocket and looks to the other concept (spot), however by this time it was entering QB scramble rule mode (WR braking off route and such), he then threw the ball away.

Watching it in slo-mo frame by frame. He threw it away. Foot had not yet come down out of bounds when he released the ball.
  • thl408
From this angle, there is no question.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
now football season has begun
Thanks Thl. I was sure he didn't get it gone, but he did. Nice view.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Hey Marvin it looks like we are gonna be awful this year. What are your expert analysis about the upcoming season ?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Watching it in slo-mo frame by frame. He threw it away. Foot had not yet come down out of bounds when he released the ball.

Originally posted by thl408:
From this angle, there is no question.

That's pretty darn good "locational"/situational awareness (and ability) on Kaep's part to get rid of it at the last possible moment.

Welcome back Marvin, even if it is just the preseason we we're waiting for your usual thread.

There were a lot cringe-worthy things that happened in this game, but there was also a lot of good stuff to take away.

It's just the first step of the season. If they stay healthy I think the 49ers will ultimately be better than many think.
[ Edited by 49er-from-Yavin-IV on Aug 17, 2015 at 1:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

All sarcasm aside, that whole play being harped on is a lot about nothing. Kap made a good presnap read (man coverage, middle open), he elected to work the top concept of a multi concept play (fly-slant top of screen, spot concept bottom), which had man busting capabilities. Boldin was open, but kap had to red light it because Hou defender (#95) made his presence felt and would've batted the ball. Kap then broke the pocket and looks to the other concept (spot), however by this time it was entering QB scramble rule mode (WR braking off route and such), he then threw the ball away.

I wasn't being sarcastic. It was an actual honest question. I didn't know there was a debate on it as genus49 mentioned. I was going by memory so I thought maybe I had missed something.

It looked to me at the time, he threw it away to saved a lost of yardage as he was scrambling laterally out of bound. Which would be a smart thing to do. I didn't think it was an issue that was debated
Share 49ersWebzone