LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

1st Preseason Game - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just an afterthot, but just how weak or bad a coach do you have to be to not be able to get a handle on not getting plays in on time, or worse, routinely getting 5yd delay of game penalty? I mean, it really shows just exactly what harbaw was NOT bringing to the team, and with all our changes and additons, what a well oiled coaching staff can do. This is why i knew and posted a number of times how much better a team we would be this yr....just as long as harbaw was gone. And now after 1 PS game, a major fcku up for FOUR long yrs is instantly fixed. Makes one wonder if we really could have had another 1 or possibly 2 SBs without harbaw. I know, it doesn't matter, but still at times like this when Simpson gets dinged for 6 games or Aldon gets his 3rd and final DUI...i just wonder what might have been with a HC and staff who had their schidt together. Oh, yeah... also, we have a completely different #2 QB, after harbs spent an unsuccesful yr with him. Magically under JT, Logan, Geep, et al, and only a mere one game into PS, we have the blaine from college days. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

When i initially posted in this thread i had no UGLY. The above paragraph is the ugly...but thankfully, ever so thankfully, it , or he is in the rear view mirror. Check that,. there isn't even a vestige of harbaw in the rear view mirror at all. It is truly remarkable JT has been able to take charge and in lightning fast time, has erased virtually all the bad that was here as recently as Christmas past. Again, i truly am thankful to JT and his crew, for bringing us back from the depths . I salute him.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 18, 2015 at 9:03 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Considering the loss at the OL, DL, RB, P, WR, DB, LBs, DBs, no #2 QB....it is amazing how many of the unanswered questions got answered. Gabs appears a solid #2, OL ZBS seemed to be working, DL had a 9 play win with no TD from the 1 yrd line, LBs were ok, not great, WRs and TEs looked good....really the only unanswered question is in the DBs. And there , it is a fight to see who stays. So from many questions, many answers, (some partial), but for the 1st PS game, it showed just what our new HC could do. I was impressed...really impressed. DBs remain a question, but with so many guys at different positions, it was hard to tell much. A great start for a team wth massive changeovers, Coaches as well as players. Also, playcalls were way better than we finished off last yr.

Excellent perspective from the first preseason game! Rather than criticizing individual efforts in a non-fluid game, it's so much better to ask, "What did the coaches take away from this game?" And you mention several!

My takeaways--
  • OL seemed much further along than I expected for a first preseason game
  • Gabbert was confident and comfortable
  • Many young players had solid performances--Hayne, Tartt, Thomas and Pinion to name a few
  • T Smith's speed will make a difference in what coverages opponents will use
  • Goal line stand was excellent

Very good posts guys!

Add to that No Delay of game penalties, No serious injuries

From my view, the defense got aten alive. Gabs was the best part of the game.
I really thought Geep called a good game, even though we didn't game plan for the Texans and I'm sure most of the plays will be some of our basic stuff. I love all the 4-8yard passes to the tight ends. There were several times I also saw guys open in the intermediate area and Gabbert or Thompson just didn't see them. That was my biggest take away from an offensive perspective.

Defensively I'm not too concerned since there was no game planning and we didn't play several of our key guys (bowman, lynch, dockett, wilhoite, Ward). Game planning is a huge part of football these days, so it's hard to gauge much knowing it wasn't a part of the pregame preparation.

Defensively I thought Tartt played the best game.
Offensively, I thought Gabbert and B.Thomas played the best.
Share 49ersWebzone