LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

1st Preseason Game - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I want to see Johnson and Reaser start next week. Was not impressed by Brock and Wright at all.

Definitely some miscommunication which is understandable in a new defense 1st preseason game, now if it's still happening that blatantly in a regular season game then we have problems
Do worry about Armstead. I didn't like the pick but maybe Tomsula can coach him up. Jimmy T does do good with DL guys more often than not. I was impressed with how good Purcell looked. Last year Purcell looked like hot garbage. I can give that up to Jimmy T coaching him up. The DL guys who just stick around and slog through the depth chart usually give us good production. Like Ian Williams, Dorsey came in and re invented himself. Soap went nowhere after Jimmy T, Carradine finally maybe getting it. Its one area i have full trust in old Jimmy T.

Gabbert looked a whole lot better too.

Kaps super small sample size looked like Kap always looked to me in average football situations. The footwork and throwing motion etc did not look different to me. I dont know if thats good or bad yet. Need to see more. I thought he worked on some things. IMO he will be best when he is moving and shaking, running around, buying time. Sprinting for big gains. That gets his passing in a much better rhythm usually. SO hopefully we see that this season
  • The Good: Blaine Gabbert
  • The Bad: Dylan Thompson
  • THE UGLY: LEMONADE
  • tjace
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcashen87:
Do worry about Armstead. I didn't like the pick but maybe Tomsula can coach him up. Jimmy T does do good with DL guys more often than not. I was impressed with how good Purcell looked. Last year Purcell looked like hot garbage. I can give that up to Jimmy T coaching him up. The DL guys who just stick around and slog through the depth chart usually give us good production. Like Ian Williams, Dorsey came in and re invented himself. Soap went nowhere after Jimmy T, Carradine finally maybe getting it. Its one area i have full trust in old Jimmy T.

None of those guys you mentioned were 1st round picks. You don't grab a project guy in the 1st round.
Originally posted by tjace:
Originally posted by jcashen87:

None of those guys you mentioned were 1st round picks. You don't grab a project guy in the 1st round.

Balke always takes PROJECTS Every year every ROUND. No more Scot Mcluohan to cherry pick from.
Originally posted by tjace:
On another note. After watching Bethea get burned today, I wish we would've left Jimmy Ward in as a safety. He looked Earl Thomas-esque at times when playing the deep zone. Not sure who would take a safety and make him lockdown a slot back with the rules that we have today. We're wasting those instincts.

I think Ward is still considered a safety. We used him as the Slot CB in sub-packages last year, but in base defense his position would be safety. I don' think they plan on him being a full-time corner, but I could be wrong.
Good: Hayne

Bad: Moody

Ugly: Moody
Originally posted by Zealot:
Don't know much about NFL yet, but seemed like a lot of cheap penalties were given, most at bad times.

Lol welcome to the NFL
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Don't know much about NFL yet, but seemed like a lot of cheap penalties were given, most at bad times.

Lol welcome to the NFL

Seriously, that's become the norm in this league. The officiating is straight garbage. FIRE GOODELL
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Lol welcome to the NFL

More like welcome to 49er officiated games.

And maybe my homer vision is on too tight, but I thought there was a lot of good. Lots of individual pieces that I liked and can't wait to see them all come together.

dumb penalties ...
Originally posted by judodono:
More like welcome to 49er officiated games.

And maybe my homer vision is on too tight, but I thought there was a lot of good. Lots of individual pieces that I liked and can't wait to see them all come together.

I agree with you, plenty of individuals who played a solid game. The focus in pre-season games is always on individual players, not the box score. There's just too many guys playing who won't even sniff an NFL field this year to take the box score seriously.
The Good: No major injuries

The Bad: We're doomed according to Zoners

The Ugly: Sky is falling in WZ
Originally posted by Zachary:
dumb penalties ...

The PI on Brock was brutal. You can't call PI when the guy has his head turned and makes a play on the ball. There was literally no contact. He was late turning his head, but that's not against the rules. He still made a play on the ball without impeding the receiver.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
The Good: No major injuries

The Bad: We're doomed according to Zoners

The Ugly: Sky is falling in WZ

That's actually a good thing. Zoners don't know s**t.
Share 49ersWebzone