There are 296 users in the forums

1st Preseason Game - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • tjace
  • Veteran
Good
- Gabbert (looked good for the most part. Really surprised how seamless he made the no huddle look)
- Hayne (has those instincts to make the 1st man miss. Should be interesting to see if Bush can oust him from the returners role)
- Purcell (looks like Danny Shelton. Hopefully he goes up against Frederick and the Cowboy 1's next week to get another look against elite talent)
- Tartt (Saw him go stride for stride with a couple of WRs. Made great reads)
- Skov (Bold preditction time: He will make you forget all about Chris Borland)
- Mike Davis (Tough runner with great cuts and vision. Wish he had the carries that they gave to Gaskins to get a better look)
- Acker (textbook coverage on that deep ball. didn't really give up much)
- McCray (Reminds me of CJ Spillman that hits harder)

Bad
- Bethea (making good reads but just doesn't have the speed to get to the right spots)
- Wright (new place, same stuff. Still don't understand why we grabbed him.)
- Pass pro (still kind of shaky but it's a new unit that's in preseason.Takes time to gel especially when the positions aren't yet finalized)
- McDonald (Now's the time for those calling for Travis Kelce to say I told you so. Why did we grab an oversized slot from Rice to play TE in our power run scheme? He would be great with an elite QB in a spread, pass-first offense. Still time to be developed but the same questions remain)

Ugly
- ARIK ARMSTEAD (As advertised, giving up on plays, comes up too high and double teams take him out, all this against the last string of the Texans. The guy is lucky that he was grabbed in the 1st because he would be on the bubble with that kind of effort)
- Asante Cleveland (what part of get to the sticks on 3rd down does this guy not get?)
[ Edited by tjace on Aug 15, 2015 at 8:16 PM ]
I thought celek looked pretty good and he has not been mentioned yet.
  • Stud
The Bad? How about the attrocious?

The entire 2nd half I wanted to gouge my eyes out watching these 3rd, 4th stringers. Asante Cleveland, not once, but twice caught a ball that would've been a first down, but he was running TOWARD the QB, so because of it he caught the ball behind the first down marker and we had to punt. TWICE!

Thankfully most of these guys won't stick around.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
I thought celek looked pretty good and he has not been mentioned yet.

Good catch. Celek is a steady, dependable player. Always like him more than McDonald.
Originally posted by tjace:
Good
- Gabbert (looked good for the most part. Really surprised how seamless he made the no huddle look)
- Hayne (has those instincts to make the 1st man miss. Should be interesting to see if Bush can oust him from the returners role)
- Purcell (looks like Danny Shelton. Hopefully he goes up against Frederick and the Cowboy 1's next week to get another look against elite talent)
- Mike Davis (Tough runner with great cuts and vision. Wish he had the carries that they gave to Gaskins to get a better look)

Bad
- Bethea (making good reads but just doesn't have the speed to get to the right spots)
- Pass pro (still kind of shaky but it's a new unit that's in preseason.Takes time to gel especially when the positions aren't yet finalized)
- McDonald (Now's the time for those calling for Travis Kelce to say I told you so. Why did we grab an oversized slot from Rice to play TE in our power run scheme? He would be great with an elite QB in a spread, pass-first offense. Still time to be developed but the same questions remain)

Ugly
- ARIK ARMSTEAD (As advertised, giving up on plays, comes up too high and double teams take him out, all this against the last string of the Texans. The guy is lucky that he was grabbed in the 1st because he would be on the bubble with that kind of effort)
- Asante Cleveland (what part of get to the sticks on 3rd down does this guy not get?)

Pretty good summary here

Not worried about Armstead. We knew he was raw and didn't get to participate in OTA's. He just got in the mix a week or so ago.
I thought Moody looked pretty good.
  • tjace
  • Veteran
Thanks bro. Just mad that we wasted a 1st rounder on a project pick. If he was our guy, I really think he would've fell to the mid 2nd. I wanted Byron Jones, Phillip Dorsett, or Denzel Perryman instead of him at that spot.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Pretty good summary here

Not worried about Armstead. We knew he was raw and didn't get to participate in OTA's. He just got in the mix a week or so ago.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Good

Bad

Ugly

Pretty good summary here

The bad. Could have drafted Marcus Peters who is in line to start for the chiefs but instead took this scrub Armstead who wont even dress for games all year. So pissed

The good. All these moves by baalke are about to blow in his face so it should get him fired this off season.

The ugly. looks like a freaking expansion team out there, bunch of no name players.
  • mr_P
I am not sure how you can complain about the pass protection. Kap had about 5 seconds to throw on that long pass to Torrey, which was unfathomable last year, and Blaine Gabbert also had pretty good amount of time to throw the ball with the second group of O line.
[ Edited by mr_P on Aug 15, 2015 at 8:26 PM ]
Originally posted by mr_P:
I am not sure how you can complain about the pass protection. Kap had about 5 seconds to throw on that long pass to Torrey, which was unfathomable last year, and Blaine Gabbert also had pretty good amount of time to throw the ball with the second group of O line.

The first and second string o-line played way above expectation levels. The 3rd stringers got thompson killed but the 1s and 2s were a very pleasant surprise. Considering we all thought it would be a disaster they played like a well above average nfl line. Probably the biggest surprise of the night.

Thanks bro. Just mad that we wasted a 1st rounder on a project pick. If he was our guy, I really think he would've fell to the mid 2nd. I wanted Byron Jones, Phillip Dorsett, or Denzel Perryman instead of him at that spot.

We definitely could have grabbed someone who would have been an instant contributor this year. Could use some help in a few other areas right now. Apparently they felt Armstead was best value based on potential/skill set/scheme fit. Hopefully they're right on this one.
Originally posted by susweel:
Good

Bad

Ugly

Pretty good summary here

The bad. Could have drafted Marcus Peters who is in line to start for the chiefs but instead took this scrub Armstead who wont even dress for games all year. So pissed

The good. All these moves by baalke are about to blow in his face so it should get him fired this off season.

The ugly. looks like a freaking expansion team out there, bunch of no name players.

I agree dude, Balke has to be held accountable SOONER rather then LATER. Balke seems to get away with football murder and has more then 9 lives. He is NOT a good talent evaluator.
We definitely could have grabbed someone who would have been an instant contributor this year. Could use some help in a few other areas right now. Apparently they felt Armstead was best value based on potential/skill set/scheme fit. Hopefully they're right on this one.

Knowing what we know now Shane Ray is probably the pick. But that's hindsight for ya. Belief in Aldon was misplaced.
  • tjace
  • Veteran
On another note. After watching Bethea get burned today, I wish we would've left Jimmy Ward in as a safety. He looked Earl Thomas-esque at times when playing the deep zone. Not sure who would take a safety and make him lockdown a slot back with the rules that we have today. We're wasting those instincts.

I want to see Johnson and Reaser start next week. Was not impressed by Brock and Wright at all.
Share 49ersWebzone