There are 137 users in the forums

NFL Turnover and Super Bowl Teams: Giants, Niners, Ravens

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Yeah.....I get your point, but ideally you don't want all that turnover to be, you know, in one season.

Very true...but that's exactly what happened to all three. Hopefully, we can make the playoffs right away like the Ravens and NOT be the Giants. BTW: Ravens have lost a ton of players since then too.

But with the Ravens, those were expected retires. They could prepare for the loss of Lewis because the knew, we didn't know about Willis and Borland. If you can adequately plan ahead the loss isn't severe. We lost Willis, Borland, RayMac, AD, and Aldon out of the blue.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Yeah.....I get your point, but ideally you don't want all that turnover to be, you know, in one season.

Very true...but that's exactly what happened to all three. Hopefully, we can make the playoffs right away like the Ravens and NOT be the Giants. BTW: Ravens have lost a ton of players since then too.

But with the Ravens, those were expected retires. They could prepare for the loss of Lewis because the knew, we didn't know about Willis and Borland. If you can adequately plan ahead the loss isn't severe. We lost Willis, Borland, RayMac, AD, and Aldon out of the blue.

Agreed but that's also been Baalke M.O. as well right? Plan ahead 2-3 years out? MM just wrote a whole article on it today. I guess now we'll finally get to see these guys in bigger roles...M.Martin, Looney, Hyde on offense and Dial at RDE, Carradine, Ward and Lynch on defense and Pinion on special teams. The rest are all veteran starters or backup/young developing package players or experienced role players.

Agreed but that's also been Baalke M.O. as well right? Plan ahead 2-3 years out? MM just wrote a whole article on it today. I guess now we'll finally get to see these guys in bigger roles...M.Martin, Looney, Hyde on offense and Dial at RDE, Carradine, Ward and Lynch on defense and Pinion on special teams. The rest are all veteran starters or backup/young developing package players or experienced role players.

The question that can't be answered but would be curious to know is how would Trent draft (this past draft) if all these moves happened before and not after?
The question that can't be answered but would be curious to know is how would Trent draft (this past draft) if all these moves happened before and not after?

Good question. My guess is Collins at T over AA. But I'm sure he knew about Justin's impending retirement so pick your poison there. But A.Davis really screwed us there. The rest probably stays the same? Tartt is a stud and needed for when Bethea moves on or Reid retires. Bell for Davis and a RZ threat for now. Davis is a stud and BPA. Pinion I liked esp for our stadium. Hmm. What do you think? ILB now us looking good. CB...take a year+ to develop.
when's seattle's traumatic, catastrophic turnover?
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

+1 They do seem to be holding their talent better
Good point, OP. I was wondering what the turnover was for other teams, and you answered it for me.

No doubt we had a ton of turnover this off-season. When you consider WHO left, it is a bit unprecedented to lose so many key players at once. But before that we had a great deal of consistency with our core, only swapping role players for other role players. So over a 4-5 year period, the turnover rate is about in-line with league average.

What's not being considered is the abundance of draft choices from the 2013 and 2014 class who now have a chance to show what they can do. People act like we lost all of these players with no safety net in place, but that couldn't be further from the truth. These players are talented and have spent time developing with our team. We also made some nice FA signings with T. Smith, Bush, Simpson, Wright. We have the 2015 draft class looking strong. Things are not as bad as they seem.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 14, 2015 at 6:50 PM ]
To say that we will be fine is being very very nice, I think we will have our ups and downs just like New York and Baltimore did. Losing so many guys in one offseason is never good.

I've backed off in the recent months on my stance on this season, I will reword my desire, I want a winning season if it means playoffs, I don't want no 8-8 season where it was a morale victory I rather we go 4-12 and get a high pick, and get some damn talent for the future, I don't want to see this team do bad, I admit I made some rash judgements at beginning off the offseason, I apologize for that, I was dealing with a lot of s**t, but that's for another thread.

Hoping the 49ers can at least be competitive to start.
Ah, man...if some of these guys had gotten more playing time....ah, forget it.
  • KP82
The Giants and Ravens have something to show for all that lost talent. We dont.

Damn

• KP82
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

The RW / Wagner deals will be their backbreaker. Despite popular belief, RW is NOT an elite QB and is one twisted ankle away from becoming the next Colt McCoy. After that, the Hawks are done.
Share 49ersWebzone