LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 206 users in the forums

State of the Team...Good?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 5Jan2003:
On a successful team in the NFL, for every highly touted 1st rounder or big name free agent signing, there are 10 guys who were mid-rounders or FA who just know how to play and have stand out 3 or 4 year peaks once they get a feel for a system and get on the field. My faith in the Niners this season is that we have a solid crew of these players stepping up and becoming the Names we will rue losing when THEY in turn, move on.
Every team in the league reloads every 3-4 years.
I think we're good.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Stopped reading after you said whilhote and moody can replace Patrick's production. Lol cray talk imo
Originally posted by susweel:
Stopped reading after you said whilhote and moody can replace Patrick's production. Lol cray talk imo

A lot of linebackers have similar production in terms of tackles, but you're right, you can't replace his IMPACT on the field. His ability to win all types of matchups, how the offense prepared for him, etc...Very hard to replace a guy like Willis.

Lucky for us we have Bowman coming back, and he looks healthy. Been dominating in camp. Hope he stays healthy and never gets an injury like that again. We need him out there.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by susweel:

A lot of linebackers have similar production in terms of tackles, but you're right, you can't replace his IMPACT on the field. His ability to win all types of matchups, how the offense prepared for him, etc...Very hard to replace a guy like Willis.

Lucky for us we have Bowman coming back, and he looks healthy. Been dominating in camp. Hope he stays healthy and never gets an injury like that again. We need him out there.

Agreed...production, no worries. We've ALWAYS had big producers at ILB no matter who's playing there. It's a 3-4...you have 2 ILB's instead of one and the defense funnels everything to them. While it would be awesome to have two Bowman's there, it's not necessary or a requirement to get good to great production from there. If Bowman is healthy, expect 130+ tackles and Wilhoite/Moody to hover around 90-100. Impact? Yeah, we'll have to see how they do in coverage, personnel matchups, big plays, etc.
State of the Team..Good?

No. The state of the team stinks right now. Does that mean it will be a bad year? Not necessarily. But, there is no way a guy could walk around the practice field and feel confident that this team is anything like the team of 3-4 years ago. The talent isn't there, the experience isn't there.
When football life gives us lemons we take lemonaides at OLB.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
State of the Team..Good?

No. The state of the team stinks right now. Does that mean it will be a bad year? Not necessarily. But, there is no way a guy could walk around the practice field and feel confident that this team is anything like the team of 3-4 years ago. The talent isn't there, the experience isn't there.

This.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
State of the Team..Good?

This.

Fair enough, but if you're reading reports from camp, the players ARE walking around the practice field feeling confident about this team. We'll see how it all plays out, but it seems like the players/coaches and media/fans are on completely different wavelengths in terms of what is expected from the team. Which makes sense, because the team is focusing on who is there, while the outside is focusing on who's not there anymore.

I've tried to focus on who we currently have on the team, and you know what, it's not too shabby. A lot of talented players left on this team, many of which are recent draft choices who have spent time developing, and now have a chance to show what they can do in a bigger role. Too early to say if they are good or bad. They are unproven more than anything else.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
State of the Team..Good?

This.

Fair enough, but if you're reading reports from camp, the players ARE walking around the practice field feeling confident about this team. We'll see how it all plays out, but it seems like the players/coaches and media/fans are on completely different wavelengths in terms of what is expected from the team. Which makes sense, because the team is focusing on who is there, while the outside is focusing on who's not there anymore.

I've tried to focus on who we currently have on the team, and you know what, it's not too shabby. A lot of talented players left on this team, many of which are recent draft choices who have spent time developing, and now have a chance to show what they can do in a bigger role. Too early to say if they are good or bad. They are unproven more than anything else.

This.
I am also a typical optimist. But after this, I just don't know. I'm not saying we are terrible, we are very talented. But I feel like when you ask so many young guys to step up it has the potential for disaster, this team is young and talented but can they all take that next step? I believe it can go either way at this point.

Aldon's lose was by far the biggest because he is a cornerstone, you build your team around talent like that. Can Aaron lynch or Eli Harold be that guy? They have the talent but they come with significant question marks. I think we have some vital pieces in place. But with a wounded oline, a loss of our arguably best player, turnover accross the team. I just have my doubts.

I'm really excited to see what these young guys do. Also, I believe this team is in a great position for a quick turn around if things go south, we have an incredible amount of cap space. Let's hope for team health and that young guys really are able to take the work load and fight through adversity presented thus far. Let's see these coaches earn their checks this season.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
State of the Team..Good?

This.
the players and coaches are walking around confident which is good enough for me. they did not let the last 24 hours tear them apart,. they are a team and it is totally unfair to compare this team to a team of 3 or 4 years ago. 4 years ago the experience was not there and many questioned the talent and you see what a change in direction did for the team then. it is unfair to the players and coaches to do some side by side comparison to a team of three or four years ago in my opinion. have you guys walked around the practice field? maybe if you do, you would feel confidence from the players.
Very good opening post! Thanks for this.

Another way to look at the losses this year--

Players injured over the past several years and on the decline because of it:
Willis
J Smith
A Davis

Troubled players who could not be counted on--
A Smith
Culliver
McDonald

Player at the end of his career who will hopefully help their new team and be successful for another year--
Gore

All of these players were helpful or fantastic but each was expendable given their current age/health/character or contracts.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 8, 2015 at 3:15 PM ]
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
I am also a typical optimist. But after this, I just don't know. I'm not saying we are terrible, we are very talented. But I feel like when you ask so many young guys to step up it has the potential for disaster, this team is young and talented but can they all take that next step? I believe it can go either way at this point.

Aldon's lose was by far the biggest because he is a cornerstone, you build your team around talent like that. Can Aaron lynch or Eli Harold be that guy? They have the talent but they come with significant question marks. I think we have some vital pieces in place. But with a wounded oline, a loss of our arguably best player, turnover accross the team. I just have my doubts.

I'm really excited to see what these young guys do. Also, I believe this team is in a great position for a quick turn around if things go south, we have an incredible amount of cap space. Let's hope for team health and that young guys really are able to take the work load and fight through adversity presented thus far. Let's see these coaches earn their checks this season.

Agreed.

A fun way to look at it too is that, everything that could have gone wrong last year, did (i.e. players were miserable, FO/HC discord, lame duck coach, 19 starters on I.R., Hawks mocking us in our own stadium, negative media targets, public image, mass exodus, poor HF advantage, etc.). Yet, despite ALL of that, we still come into this season with two real personnel questions: 1) OL and 2) ILB/CB depth. That's it.

No matter what, we're going to get answers to both soon.

And even if we do struggle some, we'll certainly be in great shape for next year knowing exactly what we'll need to do to fix it (esp. with our cap space).
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

Agreed.

A fun way to look at it too is that, everything that could have gone wrong last year, did (i.e. players were miserable, FO/HC discord, lame duck coach, 19 starters on I.R., Hawks mocking us in our own stadium, negative media targets, public image, mass exodus, poor HF advantage, etc.). Yet, despite ALL of that, we still come into this season with [u]two[/u] real personnel questions: 1) OL and 2) ILB/CB depth. That's it.

No matter what, we're going to get answers to both soon.

And even if we do struggle some, we'll certainly be in great shape for next year knowing exactly what we'll need to do to fix it (esp. with our cap space).

1.OL
2. ILB
3. CB
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
1.OL
2. ILB
3. CB

Those are mine in order too.

For instance, the Hawks have these three:
1. OL
2. Pass rush/run defense
3. Nickel/S DB's esp. the longer Kam holds out