LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 215 users in the forums

Most insane offseason in the history of professional sports

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:
Considering some people were shot in the Candlestick parking lot after a pre-season game a few years ago I can't consider this to be something new. It was arguably a lot better on the average last year, aside from the bathroom incident. (But Baalke and York should have been there to stop the fight, ya know ).

I consider a few years ago "recently"
[ Edited by Homer on Aug 8, 2015 at 12:45 PM ]
Originally posted by ltrain:

Here's how I see it:

Aldon Smith -- Big loss. 25 years old, elite pass rusher when focused.
Patrick Willis -- Big loss. He lost half a step, but still better than 90% of the LBs in the league. Wilhoite/Moody is a significant downgrade.
Justin Smith -- He'll be missed, but durability waned 2 straight seasons. Only played 65% of snaps last year. It was time.
Anthony Davis -- Significant loss. 25 years old. Solid, steady RT. Took us a long time to solidify that spot before he arrived.
Chris Borland -- Lost a very good young talent here. Bright side is Bowman plays his position (Mike), and is a better player.
Stevie Johnson -- Good player, but nothing special. Can easily get similar production elsewhere for a fraction of the cost.
Jonathan Martin -- lol wut. Why is he on here?
Trindon Holliday -- lol wut.
Andy Lee -- Still one of the best in the game, but effectiveness declined last few years. Pinion has the better leg now.
Perrish Cox -- Pleasant surprise last year. A gamer, but easily replaced by Brock, a better man-cover corner.
Michael Crabtree -- Addition by subtraction here. Significantly upgraded with Torrey Smith to compliment Boldin.
Chris Culliver -- Good young cover corner. Probably overpaid in Free Agency. Got better value in Shareece Wright, who's balling in camp.
Frank Gore -- Rare production and team leader, but it was time. Hyde is younger, fresher, faster, stronger, more explosive at this stage.
Mike Iupati -- Move to ZBS somewhat offsets this loss. An excellent road grader in power scheme, bad in pass pro, not a good fit in ZBS.
Josh Johnson -- lol wut. Only on roster because of Harbaugh.
Brandon Lloyd -- lol wut. Got similar player in Simpson who is younger and better.
Kassim Osgood -- Good career special teamer. Not an impact player by any means.
Alfonso Smith -- lol wut.
Bubba Ventrone -- I'll miss his hair.
Dan Skuta -- Solid, versatile player who provided good depth, but replaceable with a better talent like Harold.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by ltrain:

Here's how I see it:

Patrick Willis -- Big loss. He lost half a step, but still better than 90% of the LBs in the league. Wilhoite/Moody is a significant downgrade.
Justin Smith -- He'll be missed, but durability waned 2 straight seasons. Only played 65% of snaps last year. It was time.
Anthony Davis -- Significant loss. 25 years old. Solid, steady RT. Took us a long time to solidify that spot before he arrived.
Chris Borland -- Lost a very good young talent here. Bright side is Bowman plays his position (Mike), and is a better player.
Stevie Johnson -- Good player, but nothing special. Can easily get similar production elsewhere for a fraction of the cost.
Andy Lee -- Still one of the best in the game, but effectiveness declined last few years. Pinion has the better leg now.
Perrish Cox -- Pleasant surprise last year. A gamer, but easily replaced by Brock, a better man-cover corner.
Michael Crabtree -- Addition by subtraction here. Significantly upgraded with Torrey Smith to compliment Boldin.
Chris Culliver -- Good young cover corner. Probably overpaid in Free Agency. Got better value in Shareece Wright, who's balling in camp.
Frank Gore -- Rare production and team leader, but it was time. Hyde is younger, fresher, faster, stronger, more explosive at this stage.
Mike Iupati -- Move to ZBS somewhat offsets this loss. An excellent road grader in power scheme, bad in pass pro, not a good fit in ZBS.
Brandon Lloyd -- lol wut. Got similar player in Simpson who is younger and better.
Dan Skuta -- Solid, versatile player who provided good depth, but replaceable with a better talent like Harold.

This is some FUNNY sh!t right here! Somebody went major overboard on this one...REALLY reaching. Via FA, the turnover is 30% and we've turned over 23%.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 8, 2015 at 1:05 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is some FUNNY sh!t right here! Somebody went major overboard on this one...REALLY reaching. Via FA, the turnover is 30% and we've turned over 23%.

But, but....,Alponso Smith & Brandon Lloyd!?!?
Originally posted by NCommand:

Seriously, it's hilarious how they tried to pass off some of those players as significant departures. The first 3 or 4 names on that list are significant for us, the rest have already been replaced with equal or better talent.
Originally posted by Niners816:
But, but....,Alponso Smith & Brandon Lloyd!?!?

How will we ever replace them!!!!???
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 8, 2015 at 1:12 PM ]
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
After this off season everyone is out of game day jerseys now so at least we all get new ones now.
Ah, you've hit on it! This is just an evil scheme by the merchandise department to get fans to buy more/other jerseys...
Originally posted by BodhiPaddlesOut:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It is quite something I would say.

Tell us how you really feel.

San Diego being understated. That worries me right off the bat.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Aug 8, 2015 at 2:05 PM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:
what about the marlins winning the world series twice and dismantling the team both times?

Those fire sales were by choice, not by chance. Different situation entirely.
The Harbaugh lovers separated from the team. WE'RE DOOMED!!!1
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 8, 2015 at 2:10 PM ]

Here's how I see it:

This made me lulz...
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Here's how I see it:

This made me lulz...

lol
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Well one person thinks we have had the worst offseason ever:

1. 2015 San Francisco 49ers

On this list we have seen examples of great players retiring suddenly in their prime, losing big-time players in free agency, the stunning departure of top coaches at or near their peak and legal troubles bringing down elite talents. The 49ers had a combination of all of those factors this offseason, I couldn't find another example of a team having so many various factors resulting in so many huge hits to the roster. Coach Jim Harbaugh was chased off to Michigan, guard Mike Iupati, running back Frank Gore and others departed in free agency, offensive tackle Anthony Davis and linebackers Patrick Willis and Chris Borland suddenly retired (defensive end Justin Smith retired too, though that was more expected) and pass rusher Aldon Smith was released after his latest arrest. I could not find one offseason that was a reasonable comparison to what has happened to the 49ers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/did-the-49ers-just-have-the-worst-nfl-offseason-ever--let-s-rank-them-171823454.html
Originally posted by Jcool:
Well one person thinks we have had the worst offseason ever:

1. 2015 San Francisco 49ers

On this list we have seen examples of great players retiring suddenly in their prime, losing big-time players in free agency, the stunning departure of top coaches at or near their peak and legal troubles bringing down elite talents. The 49ers had a combination of all of those factors this offseason, I couldn't find another example of a team having so many various factors resulting in so many huge hits to the roster. Coach Jim Harbaugh was chased off to Michigan, guard Mike Iupati, running back Frank Gore and others departed in free agency, offensive tackle Anthony Davis and linebackers Patrick Willis and Chris Borland suddenly retired (defensive end Justin Smith retired too, though that was more expected) and pass rusher Aldon Smith was released after his latest arrest. I could not find one offseason that was a reasonable comparison to what has happened to the 49ers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/did-the-49ers-just-have-the-worst-nfl-offseason-ever--let-s-rank-them-171823454.html

And they added no one! I mean, how do they expect to compete when they have no coaches and only 33 players on the rost...

What? What was that? They hired new coaches and signed other free agents, promoted younger players and had a draft? I.... I didn't know teams could do that!
Originally posted by captveg:
And they added no one! I mean, how do they expect to compete when they have no coaches and only 33 players on the rost...

What? What was that? They hired new coaches and signed other free agents, promoted younger players and had a draft? I.... I didn't know teams could do that!

Sarcasm fail. They added one impact player, Torrey Smith. Maybe you can count Dockett but he has age and injury concerns.
Share 49ersWebzone