LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Kaepernick versus other QBs around the league

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Rogers is hands down #1 QB in the league and probably the best player in the league. If you are picking a team, you start there.

I put Rodgers up there with Brady, Montana, Elway, Young, Manning, etc.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Why is carr even being brought up in this discussion? Please remind me what exactly he's done up to this point.

He's better than his older brother?
Originally posted by jerryfrompayroll:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by jerryfrompayroll:
Originally posted by Beezy33:
Originally posted by TheRambler:
Kap over Wilson? Really?

Film study aside, Wilson has the "it" factor that is ineffable. Based on that alone I'd put Russ above Kap.

Wilson plays backyard football. He runs around until somebody gets open and throws it up. That's not an "it" factor.

Until some team defends it and takes it away, that's a definite "it" factor in my book

That's probably been the most frustrating issue since he came into the league and has played against the 49ers. They just couldn't find a way to limit some of those "it" plays and it probably costed them rings.

I agree with this. Keeping the play alive is definitely an "it factor", it's a type of determination that you can't really teach.

Kids do it in pee wee football. Its great scrambling mixed with luck. That's not a long term skill that can carry him and the team forever. Ask Vick what great running did for him in the long run.

Vick also ran a lot but ran for a different purpose, when he took off he was trying to score (kind of like Kaep). Meanwhile Wilson's scrambling seems to be by design. He's got an uncanny ability for buying time to the point where his receivers know that the play is never over even when they finish running their routes.

You're correct that it's a skill that may not last forever but he's successful because of it.

The issue with containing Wilson comes from D's not playing honest and staying on assignment. If you keep him inside the tackles and contain him, he wont have 30 seconds to run figure eights letting a WR break free. Being over aggressive for the sack is opening up lanes for him.
Originally posted by thl408:
Tannehill actually reminds me of Alex for some reason. Will be good to borderline great, but never elite.

Cam is overrated.

Wilson is like that little annoying gnat that flies around, at some point he will end up dead.

Luck and Kap should be the long term players. Luck is more polished, apparently Harbs thought fundamentals were important to teach a few years ago.

I think Cam is severely overrated, but in his defense, what has he gotten to work with? So I try not to bash him too much. Still not impressed with him as a passer though, but I have to be fair and acknowledge his lack of receiving weapons and OL. Same goes with Wilson.

Steve Smith, Greg Olsen, Kelvin Benjamin, now Devin Funchess. It's not like Cam's had scrubs. I dont like the way Cam sulks after making a mistake on the field. Towel over head with head down is not a good look and does not instill confidence in your teammates during a battle.
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Luck >> Wilson > Kap > Tannehill > Cam

I used two signs to show a large gap. I'm high on Tannehill and think he could be great, but I def have Kap ahead of him for now.

Luck & Tannehill have a green arrow facing up in terms of future. I see both significantly improving.

Kap and Cam are neutral, unfortunately I think they just are who they are. I'd obviously love Kap to prove me wrong.

I think Wilson has a red arrow facing down. Even though I think he's better than most everyone, I think his style of play and team contracts will end up biting him in the behind.

^^^ am I racist? Just re read what I wrote and noticed I see the white QB's improving and QB's of color staying the same or regressing. I feel like a total POS now.
Luck-tannehill-wilson-kap-cam

F*ck wilson! Once lynch is gone, and wilson becomes seahawks' main offensive focus, that is when we will know if he is legit or not. But one thing he's great at is scrambling to buy time..

I like tannehill. His tools are nice. He's been improving every season. i think he will "break out" this coming season and establish himself as Borderline top 10 qb!

Luck is the best of the up and comers. He just need to cut his ints a little bit. Colts need a run game tho, to balance and i think they become super dangerous. Idk if gore will give them the balance but he sure will block well for luck.

Cam's a nice athelte.. He's the worst qb out of this group.

I believe kap does have the "it" factor. He showed what he is capable of before.. I want to believe that last year was a fluke because of harbaugh and roman lol Im trying to stay positive! Kap can do things other qbs dream of being able to do. I really hope he has gotten better on reading the defense
Originally posted by thl408:
I wouldn't put Rodgers in here. That guy is on another planet and is a seasoned vet. A bit unfair to put him in the same bucket as Kap/Luck/Wilson.

Regarding the "it" factor, this can have different meanings for different people. To me, it's the ability to not fold under pressure. Guys like Romo/MRyan/Dalton. How can their fanbase have any confidence that they will step up when the pressure is on? They are not in any way clutch. Wilson and Kap have made nice throws in playoff games, when their team is trailing. To me, that's the "it" factor.

I know there are two instances where Kap did not come through - the times he lost in the playoffs. But he did come through after throwing a pick6 in his first playoff game to outduel Rodgers. He brought the team back from a deficit @ATL. He had a 4th quarter comeback @GB in the cold. He put up more points than any other QB that came to CAR in 2013 to beat them, which includes Brady/Brees. So I think Kap has what it takes to step up. It's just easier to remember the moments where he was not able to because that what tends to scar permanently.

Agree with you on those clutch times for Kap but let's also look back to last season where as terrible as we were at 8-8, there was a point and small hope of still making the playoffs that we could probably had gone 10-6 or 11-5. He basically lost the Bears game with those terrible telegraphed picks (at home). He couldn't seal the Rams game, fumbling at the GL (at home). And finally the Chargers game (again at home) where he fumbled near the end zone for a SD TD and then ran out of bounds with about 3:30 left in the game to give Rivers the ball back to come down the field to tie the game. It's those types of plays that sets him apart from Wilson and not being "clutch" that leave me questioning his mental toughness and smarts going forward. I truly hope Kap proves he can be the 9ers QB we all want.
Originally posted by Homer:
Luck >> Wilson > Kap > Tannehill > Cam

I used two signs to show a large gap. I'm high on Tannehill and think he could be great, but I def have Kap ahead of him for now.

Luck & Tannehill have a green arrow facing up in terms of future. I see both significantly improving.

Kap and Cam are neutral, unfortunately I think they just are who they are. I'd obviously love Kap to prove me wrong.

I think Wilson has a red arrow facing down. Even though I think he's better than most everyone, I think his style of play and team contracts will end up biting him in the behind.

^^^ am I racist? Just re read what I wrote and noticed I see the white QB's improving and QB's of color staying the same or regressing. I feel like a total POS now.
how is Luck and Wilson better ?

theres nothing that can prove they are better, it's just based on who you are a fan of
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

theres nothing that can prove they are better, it's just based on who you are a fan of

I think if Luck or Wilson had our defense and supporting cast they would have had more success than Kap. Indi was absolutely devoid of talent when Luck was drafted and while Seattle is now the most stacked team and everyone points to Lynch and the defense, We've had better OL (besides last year) and pass catchers.

Obviously it's hypothetical. I would really, really, really like our odds with Andrew Luck though.
Originally posted by Homer:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I think if Luck or Wilson had our defense and supporting cast they would have had more success than Kap. Indi was absolutely devoid of talent when Luck was drafted and while Seattle is now the most stacked team and everyone points to Lynch and the defense, We've had better OL (besides last year) and pass catchers.

Obviously it's hypothetical. I would really, really, really like our odds with Andrew Luck though.

Well said and to elaborate on your last comment, it's also the leadership qualities Luck brings to the table that would want me to take him over all the others at this point in time.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
It's a good list for sure, but I just can't include Carr after 1 year.. he can't be any better than Dalton now.. The force is with him, but he is not a jedi yet...

Wilson is in a different league than Kap. Kap is currently mid-range and Wilson is in the top tier. No comparison.
Luck is quite overrated by the fact he plays in a trash can division and the predraft hype he received. Obviously an elite young talent. Hardly miles above others at his position. He's had nothing but miserable failure in the post season.

Comparatively Kaepernick is a statistical outlier for postseason success.. you know, when we let him run and play more to his instincts.. but anyway. I think this season will tell us a lot more.

Wilson is quite similar to Kaepernick. Less talented in a system designed for his strengths. He's allowed to play to his instincts. It was clear we were trying to mold Kaepernick last year into something he's not currently.

Indy wasn't absolutely devoid of talent when Luck was drafted either. Still aren't.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Aug 5, 2015 at 2:52 PM ]
Originally posted by Beezy33:
Agree with you on those clutch times for Kap but let's also look back to last season where as terrible as we were at 8-8, there was a point and small hope of still making the playoffs that we could probably had gone 10-6 or 11-5. He basically lost the Bears game with those terrible telegraphed picks (at home). He couldn't seal the Rams game, fumbling at the GL (at home). And finally the Chargers game (again at home) where he fumbled near the end zone for a SD TD and then ran out of bounds with about 3:30 left in the game to give Rivers the ball back to come down the field to tie the game. It's those types of plays that sets him apart from Wilson and not being "clutch" that leave me questioning his mental toughness and smarts going forward. I truly hope Kap proves he can be the 9ers QB we all want.

The Bears game was terrible, I'll give you that. I can't agree on that Rams and chargers game though. We got f**ked by the refs and Bruce miller on that play. As for the Chargers game, if your team goes up by 21 points and score 35 (?) And you still manage to lose then there's no way I can put that on the QB or offense.

Also I don't agree that wilson is clutch. I'm not even going to bring up the superbowl interception. Throwing up a prayer is not being clutch. If anything it's his receivers that are clutch.
Just to have the stats present. Here are kaps stats when he has had 30 or more attempts in a game including playoffs throughout his career:

15 games
305 comp
506 atts
60.3%
3729 yards
22 tds
11 Ints
88.5 QB rate
785 rush yards
2 rush tds
Share 49ersWebzone