LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 222 users in the forums

Kaepernick versus other QBs around the league

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Wilson's scrambling ability behing the LOS is superior and allows him to make game changing plays.

Kap has better sctraight line speed and is a home run threat when he takes off.

As far as their passing ability i'd say their are even, with Wilson having better touch and Kap better at standing in the pocket and delivering because he's not webster.

It's so tough to actually compare all of these guys because there are many components that continually change each year: roster, scheme, coaching (HC/OC)

As a start, based on what my eyes have told me over the course of time for the "younger" QBs putting them all in the same system/roster/coaching, I'd go to battle in this order Rodgers-Luck-Wilson-Kap-Tannehill-Cam.

Feel Kap's been somewhat poisoned by Harbs ever since he got the nod (I can't quite put a finger on what it is) and every time I hear about him being the hardest working guy ever, it still doesn't make up for his lack of intelligence on the field, or as a true pocket passer. I like him as the 49ers QB, but he's made a lot of questionable on-field decisions over the last 2+ seasons that I just can't put him on that level with Rodgers-Luck-Wilson yet, but in my opinion he has the highest ceiling of them all. Rodgers has already peaked, Luck is soon to be there with more efficiency and less picks, and Wilson has close to peaked. Take Lynch off of that Seattle team and Wilson would not be where he is today. For Wilson, he has the "it" factor that Kap needs and if Kap ever finds that, he will be on his way to becoming elite. We saw glimpses of the Kap "it" factor during the 2012 playoff run, and he needs to get that back.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Wilson's scrambling ability behing the LOS is superior and allows him to make game changing plays.

Kap has better sctraight line speed and is a home run threat when he takes off.

As far as their passing ability i'd say their are even, with Wilson having better touch and Kap better at standing in the pocket and delivering because he's not webster.

lol. My theory is the only people who think Kap is better than Wilson are height supremacists
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by TheRambler:
Kap over Wilson? Really?

Film study aside, Wilson has the "it" factor that is ineffable. Based on that alone I'd put Russ above Kap.

Wilson plays backyard football. He runs around until somebody gets open and throws it up. That's not an "it" factor.

Until some team defends it and takes it away, that's a definite "it" factor in my book

That's probably been the most frustrating issue since he came into the league and has played against the 49ers. They just couldn't find a way to limit some of those "it" plays and it probably costed them rings.
Originally posted by Beezy33:
Kap over Wilson? Really?

Film study aside, Wilson has the "it" factor that is ineffable. Based on that alone I'd put Russ above Kap.

Wilson plays backyard football. He runs around until somebody gets open and throws it up. That's not an "it" factor.

Until some team defends it and takes it away, that's a definite "it" factor in my book

That's probably been the most frustrating issue since he came into the league and has played against the 49ers. They just couldn't find a way to limit some of those "it" plays and it probably costed them rings.

I agree with this. Keeping the play alive is definitely an "it factor", it's a type of determination that you can't really teach.
Originally posted by jerryfrompayroll:
Kap over Wilson? Really?

I agree with this. Keeping the play alive is definitely an "it factor", it's a type of determination that you can't really teach.

And as much as I hate to admit it, it works to Wilson's advantage because he isn't scared to do it and has the freedom to. I do believe the window won't be open forever for him to do those types of things, but hey, he's already won a ring doing it. Going back to my initial post, I truly believe Harbs held the strings with Kap to an extent and wouldn't let him do the "playground" type of play EVERY TIME or as necessary (all pretty much scripted) which probably in the end held Kap back, but how could you know at the time...
[ Edited by Beezy33 on Aug 5, 2015 at 2:20 PM ]
Kap over Wilson? Really?

Kids do it in pee wee football. Its great scrambling mixed with luck. That's not a long term skill that can carry him and the team forever. Ask Vick what great running did for him in the long run.
Kap over Wilson? Really?

Kids do it in pee wee football. Its great scrambling mixed with luck. That's not a long term skill that can carry him and the team forever. Ask Vick what great running did for him in the long run.

Very true! Worked for Vick for a while, but also had a different roster, scheme, coaching, etc. Based on the raw athleticism to make those types of plays, agreed it's not sustainable for a whole career unless you play for 1 season like Borland (sorry I had to )
[ Edited by Beezy33 on Aug 5, 2015 at 2:24 PM ]
  • thl408
It's so tough to actually compare all of these guys because there are many components that continually change each year: roster, scheme, coaching (HC/OC)

As a start, based on what my eyes have told me over the course of time for the "younger" QBs putting them all in the same system/roster/coaching, I'd go to battle in this order Rodgers-Luck-Wilson-Kap-Tannehill-Cam.

Feel Kap's been somewhat poisoned by Harbs ever since he got the nod (I can't quite put a finger on what it is) and every time I hear about him being the hardest working guy ever, it still doesn't make up for his lack of intelligence on the field, or as a true pocket passer. I like him as the 49ers QB, but he's made a lot of questionable on-field decisions over the last 2+ seasons that I just can't put him on that level with Rodgers-Luck-Wilson yet, but in my opinion he has the highest ceiling of them all. Rodgers has already peaked, Luck is soon to be there with more efficiency and less picks, and Wilson has close to peaked. Take Lynch off of that Seattle team and Wilson would not be where he is today. For Wilson, he has the "it" factor that Kap needs and if Kap ever finds that, he will be on his way to becoming elite. We saw glimpses of the Kap "it" factor during the 2012 playoff run, and he needs to get that back.
I wouldn't put Rodgers in here. That guy is on another planet and is a seasoned vet. A bit unfair to put him in the same bucket as Kap/Luck/Wilson.

Regarding the "it" factor, this can have different meanings for different people. To me, it's the ability to not fold under pressure. Guys like Romo/MRyan/Dalton. How can their fanbase have any confidence that they will step up when the pressure is on? They are not in any way clutch. Wilson and Kap have made nice throws in playoff games, when their team is trailing. To me, that's the "it" factor.

I know there are two instances where Kap did not come through - the times he lost in the playoffs. But he did come through after throwing a pick6 in his first playoff game to outduel Rodgers. He brought the team back from a deficit @ATL. He had a 4th quarter comeback @GB in the cold. He put up more points than any other QB that came to CAR in 2013 to beat them, which includes Brady/Brees. So I think Kap has what it takes to step up. It's just easier to remember the moments where he was not able to because that what tends to scar permanently.
Kap over Wilson? Really?

Vick also ran a lot but ran for a different purpose, when he took off he was trying to score (kind of like Kaep). Meanwhile Wilson's scrambling seems to be by design. He's got an uncanny ability for buying time to the point where his receivers know that the play is never over even when they finish running their routes.

You're correct that it's a skill that may not last forever but he's successful because of it.

Originally posted by thl408:
I wouldn't put Rodgers in here. That guy is on another planet and is a seasoned vet. A bit unfair to put him in the same bucket as Kap/Luck/Wilson.

Regarding the "it" factor, this can have different meanings for different people. To me, it's the ability to not fold under pressure. Guys like Romo/MRyan/Dalton. How can their fanbase have any confidence that they will step up when the pressure is on? They are not in any way clutch. Wilson and Kap have made nice throws in playoff games, when their team is trailing. To me, that's the "it" factor.

I know there are two instances where Kap did not come through - the times he lost in the playoffs. But he did come through after throwing a pick6 in his first playoff game to outduel Rodgers. He brought the team back from a deficit @ATL. He had a 4th quarter comeback @GB in the cold. He put up more points than any other QB that came to CAR in 2013 to beat them, which includes Brady/Brees. So I think Kap has what it takes to step up. It's just easier to remember the moments where he was not able to because that what tends to scar permanently.

Well said.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
So, basically, it's a given that Aaron is on top of everyone so we wont need to include him... correct??

THE NEW WAVE:

Luck

Wilson

Kaep

Stafford

Cam
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Well said.

Rogers is hands down #1 QB in the league and probably the best player in the league. If you are picking a team, you start there.

They have a running game now. If they can get a hold of a few defensive studs in their prime the will be tough to beat. Remember, they should have been in the super bowl last year and may have beaten the pats.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Aug 5, 2015 at 2:30 PM ]
At this point in their careers I'll go: Luck > Kap > Wilson > Tannehill > Cam > Carr while admitting that I'm just going on gut feeling because I don't watch the other guys as closely as I watch Kap.

I agree with this
Why is carr even being brought up in this discussion? Please remind me what exactly he's done up to this point.
Share 49ersWebzone