LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 317 users in the forums

Negative 49er Talk

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Sims84:
Our starting LB unit for opening day and the first half of the season was Brooks - Whilhoit - Willis - Lemonade with Lynch and Skuta rotating in

This year it will most likely be Brooks - Whilhoit - Bowman - Lynch with Harold and Lemonade rotating in

I'd say we are upgraded over what we had last year and am willing to bet we get more production out of Brooks, Lynch, Harold and Bowman than we got out of Aldon, Brooks, Lynch and Willis last year....

If Brooks is suspended then it will be Lemonier/Wilhoit/Bowman/Lynch most likely. Still not a bad group but they will need to manufactue pressure on the QBs due to Aldon and J Smith being gone. I put Lemonier in the starting group due to experience and cand see Harold taking over on passing downs.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Our starting LB unit for opening day and the first half of the season was Brooks - Whilhoit - Willis - Lemonade with Lynch and Skuta rotating in

This year it will most likely be Brooks - Whilhoit - Bowman - Lynch with Harold and Lemonade rotating in

I'd say we are upgraded over what we had last year and am willing to bet we get more production out of Brooks, Lynch, Harold and Bowman than we got out of Aldon, Brooks, Lynch and Willis last year....

If Brooks is suspended then it will be Lemonier/Wilhoit/Bowman/Lynch most likely. Still not a bad group but they will need to manufactue pressure on the QBs due to Aldon and J Smith being gone. I put Lemonier in the starting group due to experience and cand see Harold taking over on passing downs.
Lemonier is still on the bubble, but he's earned the right to keep or lose his spot on the depth chart
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 28, 2015 at 8:29 AM ]
Lemonier isn't a guy I have confidence in at all. If Brooks is suspended I'd rather take my chances with Eli. He has enough talent to grow into setting the edge better, much like Aldon did. I've seen quite enough of Lemonier to be thoroughly disappointed and unempressed. He's gonna be a liability if we're forced to start him. His pass rush is gonna allow teams to consistently double Lynch, which will allow offenses to pick our defense apart for lack of a pass rush.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. While Brooks isn't the most important piece to this defense he is a 3 down guy who provide us with a certain flexibility with a reliable - not stellar, but reliable - pass rush/edge-setting combo. After Brooks the depth is pretty thin from what I can tell.

I'm not saying that Brooks shouldn't be punished if found guilty, but I don't think we can afford to just cut him either given who's behind him.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Lemonier isn't a guy I have confidence in at all. If Brooks is suspended I'd rather take my chances with Eli. He has enough talent to grow into setting the edge better, much like Aldon did. I've seen quite enough of Lemonier to be thoroughly disappointed and unempressed. He's gonna be a liability if we're forced to start him. His pass rush is gonna allow teams to consistently double Lynch, which will allow offenses to pick our defense apart for lack of a pass rush.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. While Brooks isn't the most important piece to this defense he is a 3 down guy who provide us with a certain flexibility with a reliable - not stellar, but reliable - pass rush/edge-setting combo. After Brooks the depth is pretty thin from what I can tell.

I'm not saying that Brooks shouldn't be punished if found guilty, but I don't think we can afford to just cut him either given who's behind him.

Brooks does a great job of shutting down a side and then rushing...not as dramatic as Aldon but very good OLB...so no, I'm not advocating cutting the guy. But he may be suspended and they need to be prepared. I'm hoping Harold can take over soon but...
White is looking awesome

Brooks does a great job of shutting down a side and then rushing...not as dramatic as Aldon but very good OLB...so no, I'm not advocating cutting the guy. But he may be suspended and they need to be prepared. I'm hoping Harold can take over soon but...
Indeed. I know I am. But I just don't wanna see Lemonier as the day-one starter. And I definitely don't wanna see Brooks cut. I just don't think we can survive that loss. I honestly think we have the talent to take back this division. But I just don't think this team can absorb yet another loss of a very quality starter and expect to be competitive. We just can't! A suspension we can live with and survive to remain competitive. But Lemonier as the full time starter - a guy who I had not making it through the first cut down - will be a cause for real concern. He's a decent backup, a good seat warmer, a place holder. Not starter material!!!! We already have have one capable backup starting (Wilhoite). This D cannot be good with another one, especially another one at the LB position. IMHO

Indeed. I know I am. But I just don't wanna see Lemonier as the day-one starter. And I definitely don't wanna see Brooks cut. I just don't think we can survive that loss. I honestly think we have the talent to take back this division. But I just don't think this team can absorb yet another loss of a very quality starter and expect to be competitive. We just can't! A suspension we can live with and survive to remain competitive. But Lemonier as the full time starter - a guy who I had not making it through the first cut down - will be a cause for real concern. He's a decent backup, a good seat warmer, a place holder. Not starter material!!!! We already have have one capable backup starting (Wilhoite). This D cannot be good with another one, especially another one at the LB position. IMHO

At worst, Lemonier will only be used on base running downs to help set the edge. Then Eli, like Aldon before him, can just come in and pass rush on passing downs. Both being able to focus on one primary role could end up being beneficial (not ideal, but productive).
Coming up for air from all the overreactions and b***hing about York/Baalke/Tomsula/coaches/OL/Kap/players re: Broncos Pre-season game.

Good grief, our fan base is certifiably bonkers. I mean, the OL struggled, but it was pretty clear that the coaches had some very specific test scenarios they wanted to see them in. I'm pretty confident in them running plays that will counter these weaknesses when it matters in the regular season. All smart teams learn what their players cannot do and then shape their schemes around the strengths in order to hide those weak points.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by captveg:
Coming up for air from all the overreactions and b***hing about York/Baalke/Tomsula/coaches/OL/Kap/players re: Broncos Pre-season game.

Good grief, our fan base is certifiably bonkers. I mean, the OL struggled, but it was pretty clear that the coaches had some very specific test scenarios they wanted to see them in. I'm pretty confident in them running plays that will counter these weaknesses when it matters in the regular season. All smart teams learn what their players cannot do and then shape their schemes around the strengths in order to hide those weak points.

additionally the game isn't "game-planned"

Its funny living here in Phoenix and you turn on the radio and all the local media folks are blowing rainbows up each others asses as to how incredible the Cardinals are going to be, all the fans are super optimistic, Arians is the GOAT coach, Keim is the GOAT GM(even if 2 of his 3 1st round picks look horrible), its all one big drum circle, everybody sharing the love, meanwhile you come here and its like the union of manic depressives.

The 49ers won't be as bad as some think, they won't be as good as some think, I think the truth is in the middle but the team is basically rebuilding on the fly the way Baltimore did in 2013, they are putting together a solid foundation for another playoff run, some folks are just going to be impatient or are still butthurt over Harbaugh being gone, whatever, it is what it is, I'm going to enjoy seeing the many young players on the roster get chances to contribute and develop into the next generation of 49ers stars.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 30, 2015 at 3:40 PM ]

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Its funny living here in Phoenix and you turn on the radio and all the local media folks are blowing rainbows up each others asses as to how incredible the Cardinals are going to be, all the fans are super optimistic, Arians is the GOAT coach, Keim is the GOAT GM(even if 2 of his 3 1st round picks look horrible), its all one big drum circle, everybody sharing the love, meanwhile you come here and its like the union of manic depressives.

The 49ers won't be as bad as some think, they won't be as good as some think, I think the truth is in the middle but the team is basically rebuilding on the fly the way Baltimore did in 2013, they are putting together a solid foundation for another playoff run, some folks are just going to be impatient or are still butthurt over Harbaugh being gone, whatever, it is what it is, I'm going to enjoy seeing the many young players on the roster get chances to contribute and develop into the next generation of 49ers stars.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Crown:

It takes game plans to block people right in front of you ?
Originally posted by susweel:

It might for some people
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Crown:

The right side of the OL is gonna be a liability all year, but there are ways to mask their incompetence. They didn't gameplan for the Broncos pass rush.
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

They're probably optimistic because they kept their good HC and didn't have a mass exodus of all pro/borderline HOF talent. Our fans definitely live up to the "whiner" label, but it's not unwarranted currently.
Share 49ersWebzone