LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

is the OFFENSE actually better than last year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
-Better play calling. I am just assuming, don't think it can be worse or more confusing
-Something from Warner training had to rub off on Kap. Even if he is only a bit better he is still good enough to win a lot of games, and frankly I think he will become a great QB but leave that out of the argument for now
-Running backs - I think Hyde/Bush/Hunter is better than Gore/Hyde/nobody. Yes we will miss leadership and effort of Frank, but Hyde with another year of experience, plus a different style of Bush makes the running game very powerful I think (plus Kap)
-Vervon Davis has to be better. He can't be worse. He is a proud guy and I think he will be extremely motivated to make up for last year
-Another year experience for Carrier, better blocking, better route running
-T.Smith is an upgrade over Crabtree based on what they can bring to the offense. Deep play ability the Niners haven't had forever. And a different attitude can't hut either
-Patton/Ellington another year experience has to help

Biggest scare on offense if the O-Line with Iupati and Davis gone. This has potential to be a mess, but with injuries and the way the line was juggled last year I think they should still be average to above average with the additions made. If Kap can get the ball out quicker I think they will be good.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
I think the offense (maybe the season) hinges on the offensive line. If they block well, I see no reason this offense won't be in the top half. If it's a repeat of last season, get ready to join the draft war room early this year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
on paper yes,, which means nothing til the bullets start to fly. but feeling the offense is better even on paper now as compared to last year is already a plus. now i know the gut feeling of posters are not to be believed verb but that is how i feel anyway. i am encouraged by the fact, even in little mini camp.. the players and coaches know what went wrong last year and know what needs to be improved on for this year. now i know you can not believe the statements and actions by the players and coaches verb but that is what it looks like to me. the encouraging media reports we see and hear about the changes and the crap from last year like morton helping to call plays is very telling to. Now i know you can not believe the media reports verb but that is how i take it
Not with the oline a mess. Kilgore still hasn't returned and we have two question marks on the right side. The upgrade with thr receivers (Bush and Torrey) will be marginal if it falls apart.

I'm excited to see what Hunter and Hyde can do.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
I think that the run game will be top 10, and the passing game will be in the middle of the pack.
Even if the ol is a mess, still better than 52 sacks and no Martin giving up pressures and sacks. So the niners are better on offense in every way unless injuries happen again
I'm optimistic!

OLine is still a BIG question in my mind.

We'll see.
At skill positions yes. Minus gores pass blocking.
O-line is another story and we will have to wait and see what we have there before we can know.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
Even if the ol is a mess, still better than 52 sacks and no Martin giving up pressures and sacks. So the niners are better on offense in every way unless injuries happen again

no martin just upgraded the line! no lupati in his alleged pass protection is a plus as well. some can call it a mess. i call it a work in progress that will be sorted out in the next couple of months. the players are there, the youth and experience is there,, just have to find the right combo. it would nice if kilgore could hit the ground running but it gives martin who is better and smarter than a year ago, a chance
Originally posted by elguapo:

O-Line might be a push. The combo of an injured Davis and Martin was hellish at RT, but we don't even know who's playing RT yet.

And as a run-first team the 9ers lost one of the best run blockers in the game in Iupati, and his likely replacement (Thomas) has never played a down in the NFL before).

I'd go:

Playcalling: Question mark. It's the easiest scapegoat for every fan. This could really be better or really be worse.

QB: No change until we see otherwise

RB: -1 this year. Last year Hyde didn't show that he's better than Gore, and we're also now assuming that Hunter/Bush/Davis are better than our #2 from last year who is now our #1. Assuming Hyde stays constant, that means that Hyde >>> Gore from last year, and Hunter/Bush/Davis >>> Hyde from last year. It's a hard argument to make.

FB: No change.

WR: +1 this year. This is an easy one. T. Smith >>> Crabtree, and the only loss was Brandon Lloyd, who Jerome Simpson is equivalent to or better than.

TE: +1 this year. Even if Davis repeats his performance from last year, McDonald and Carrier are back, plus Bell and Anderson, at least at this point.

OL: Question mark. This could really be better or really be worse.

As far as offensive position groups go, I see them as +1 this year with two major question marks which will sort out of they end up being better or worse.

It's not hard to imagine the line being better than last year in sacks. Kaepernick is almost sure to be sacked less this year.

There's quite a bit more speed both at receiver and running back.

Kaepernick should show at least some improvement in the pocket based on his off season work.

It should be harder for defenses to predict the play.

Yes, the offense should be a lot better this year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
O-line is another story and we will have to wait and see what we have there before we can know.

hunter is a good pass blocker, so is the rookie davis and i think reggie can be more than decent in that area, no worries
Originally posted by cciowa:

hunter is a good pass blocker, so is the rookie davis and i think reggie can be more than decent in that area, no worries

Hyde has evidently really come into his own as a blitz blocker according to Rathman in the off season. We'll see.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by cciowa:

Hyde has evidently really come into his own as a blitz blocker according to Rathman in the off season. We'll see.
we know we have a great great coach there so i do not concern myself at all with the development of the running backs. two great vets and leaders, a very very promising second year player and a potential great rookie. you give davis and alfonso smith alot of looks in pre season so you do not wear down the top three, thank smith for being a good team mate and vet, cut him and then carry on knowing we can always sign korey sheets if need be
It wouldn't take much for the offense to be better than last year. So I wouldn't be surprised.
Share 49ersWebzone