There are 354 users in the forums

Interview Charles Haley

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by sreese:
Hey Charles, as a Black man I have this to say to you: Keep your coon advice to yourself. Take your well deserved HOF status, sit the fucc down, shut the fucc up, and just ride off into the sunset quietly Don't start cooning in your advanced age.

what does that even mean?
He did it for shock value. I'm a black man too and I see what he was "trying" to say. Just look at the numbers. Men lie, women lie, numbers don't. White or black athletes in general do stupid sh.t. But we seem to do it a hell of a lot more now days. Just facts.

I get what he said and the meaning...what I don't get is what coon advice or cooning is?
If you don't know what a coon is, or what is meant by cooning (and how it's used in Black America today) then you'll totally miss what I'm saying here. But. . . . .

A coon was a term used during a time for white people who would paint their faces black, lips pink, buck dance and tap dance dance, and playing instruments and singing, on stage to entertain white audiences. Today the term is used to describe Black folks who, among other things, do and say anything in the presences (or for the eyes and ears) of white folks about Black folk (always negative) to gain white favor. This behavior of some Blacks needing to gain favor with white folk thwarted slave revolts (like Nat Turners).

Charles Haley "went there" with his buck dancing coonish advice to the younger Black players. I'm not a gambler, but I'd bet rent money that most, if not all, the Black players he was speaking to didn't like his statement one bit. As a go-to-the-grave 49er fan I don't need to hear another word from this man, and I hate to say that because I grew up cheering for the man. But few things burns me to my soul more than a boot-licking coon.
Are you assuming he is doing this for white favor? Is there something wrong with a black person telling another black person to not act in a negative way? Is it a big deal for him to tell Aldon (for instance) to act like Watt (for instance)?
Originally posted by sreese:
Hey Charles, as a Black man I have this to say to you: Keep your coon advice to yourself. Take your well deserved HOF status, sit the fucc down, shut the fucc up, and just ride off into the sunset quietly Don't start cooning in your advanced age.

what does that even mean?
He did it for shock value. I'm a black man too and I see what he was "trying" to say. Just look at the numbers. Men lie, women lie, numbers don't. White or black athletes in general do stupid sh.t. But we seem to do it a hell of a lot more now days. Just facts.

I get what he said and the meaning...what I don't get is what coon advice or cooning is?
If you don't know what a coon is, or what is meant by cooning (and how it's used in Black America today) then you'll totally miss what I'm saying here. But. . . . .

A coon was a term used during a time for white people who would paint their faces black, lips pink, buck dance and tap dance dance, and playing instruments and singing, on stage to entertain white audiences. Today the term is used to describe Black folks who, among other things, do and say anything in the presences (or for the eyes and ears) of white folks about Black folk (always negative) to gain white favor. This behavior of some Blacks needing to gain favor with white folk thwarted slave revolts (like Nat Turners).

Charles Haley "went there" with his buck dancing coonish advice to the younger Black players. I'm not a gambler, but I'd bet rent money that most, if not all, the Black players he was speaking to didn't like his statement one bit. As a go-to-the-grave 49er fan I don't need to hear another word from this man, and I hate to say that because I grew up cheering for the man. But few things burns me to my soul more than a boot-licking coon.
Are you assuming he is doing this for white favor? Is there something wrong with a black person telling another black person to not act in a negative way? Is it a big deal for him to tell Aldon (for instance) to act like Watt (for instance)?

Well the assumptions is that all the white guys are acting proper. Which isnt true. Although I think he was joking it wasnt exactly good advice.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i cry whenever i think about what our defense and pass rush may have been had charles and timmy harris been able to coexist . i know our niner history is littered with what ifs. what if willie mcgee had not got hurt... what if roger craig had not fumbled. what if the team had kept nate davis and korey sheets,, but that charles/timmy thinks hits hard with me . i am going to cry
Yup, it always is!

Yup, if he's telling Black folks to do so by being more white!!

Yup, if it has nothing to do with Watt-like performance on the field!!
Yup, it always is!

I'm not trying to be a dick but what does Charles Haley care about white favor? You don't think Aldon needs somebody to hammer into his head that he needs to act better off the field like Watt? He messes up 1 more time and his career could be over.
Yup, it always is!

If he told or advised Aldon to act more like JJ Watt that would actually be a good thing. Watt's a totally upstanding citizen in the NFL by all accounts. Same thing if he told him to look at his first NFL mentor Justin Smith as a proper behavioral example. But just for the sake of it being an exemplary black player he could say "act more like DeMarcus Ware or Thomas Davis (NFL Man of the Year). Those guys don't ever do any stupid stuff."
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Yup, it always is!

If he told or advised Aldon to act more like JJ Watt that would actually be a good thing. Watt's a totally upstanding citizen in the NFL by all accounts. Same thing if he told him to look at his first NFL mentor Justin Smith as a proper behavioral example. But just for the sake of it being an exemplary black player he could say "act more like DeMarcus Ware or Thomas Davis (NFL Man of the Year). Those guys don't ever do any stupid stuff."

I was going to use Warrick Dunn but I doubt Aldon knows who he is
Yup, it always is!

I'm not trying to be a dick but what does Charles Haley care about white favor? You don't think Aldon needs somebody to hammer into his head that he needs to act better off the field like Watt? He messes up 1 more time and his career could be over.
Ok, let me put it this way: whatever advice Aldon needs - and I'm not saying that he don't need any - he (or any other Black person for that matter) don't need any advice wrapped in anything that even remotely resembles "be like whites". And since Charles Haley said that Black players needed to "act like the white guys" his advice should be dismissed outright if that advice has nothing to do with football. Whether you know it or believe it or not, for too many Black folk have been denigrating, castigating, trashing, and when possible, sabotaging Black folk for the favor of white folk since the inception of this nation. And this behavior has been well documented too. Now why many Black folk do this is an entirely different discussion altogether, and for sure I have an answer for that. But suffice it to say here that Charles Haley's comment is so fuccing typical of coon thinking.

Aldon needs advice for sure. But he don't need THAT advice, and no other Black player.
???? What was the point
Yup, it always is!

That would be all good if Charles comment was singular, limited to those two players only. But it wasn't! He said,

"Why don't you all act like the white guys? You never see them in the paper getting high or hitting people"

Now, let's set aside the fact that that statement is completely asinine, and devoid of any real intellectual thinking as to how the media covers athletes (e.g see Bruce Miller), the statement was painfully blanket and, for lack of a better term, full of abject ignorance.

9ersLiferInChicago kicking knowledge
Yup, it always is!

That would be all good if Charles comment was singular, limited to those two players only. But it wasn't! He said,

"Why don't you all act like the white guys? You never see them in the paper getting high or hitting people"

Now, let's set aside the fact that that statement is completely asinine, and devoid of any real intellectual thinking as to how the media covers athletes (e.g see Bruce Miller), the statement was painfully blanket and, for lack of a better term, full of abject ignorance.

For every Bruce Miller there are 5 Hardy's, Ray Rice, Blackmon and on and on.
Originally posted by lamontb:
9ersLiferInChicago kicking knowledge

I paused for a second and wondered why he said that but then I know how Haley was and I realized he did say that for shock value purposely simply because he can and get away with it as one of the guys and a HOFer. To me it fires me up and makes me say ish like " imma show these mofos what I'm about " and that's why I'm at where I'm at. I know statistically I'm supposed to be dead or incarcerated but I'm not because I was taught to beat the odds and I had a great support system. A guy like Charles beat the odds and he can say what he feels so long as he truly ain't cooning. Personally I doubt he is. I think he was sincere about grabbing their attention and not trying to coon for white folk. I don't think that's Charles
Justin Smith should speak to the team & say:

Why can't you white players act more like the black players? Look how fast they run.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
For every Bruce Miller there are 5 Hardy's, Ray Rice, Blackmon and on and on.

I knew at some point someone would make that argument. I'm speaking of ALL Black athletes, not just in the NFL. When you look at troubled athletes, in all sports, the white boys got Blacks beat by a long shot. For example, go and research NHL stories just over the last 5 or 6 years. [ http://www.si.com/nhl/photos/2013/11/22/nhl-players-and-law ] A good number of those stories - many downright outrageous - are either on par with or worse than the stories of any of the guys you mentioned above. The only difference is that the media didn't/don't give them the coverage they give to Black athletes, in this case the NFL. The NHL is full of white boys who are encouraged, like a bunch of cave men, to fist fight on live television in the field (ice) of play, something the media roundly excoriates Black athletes for. You don't think that that carries to domestic from time to time? The MLB (mostly white and hispanic) are full of juiced up cheaters full of amphetamines. (Even then the most hated in that sport is Black.) Yet all we hear is that the NFL and NBA is full of weed smoking wife beating Black thugs. Well, of course it is, especially when the media has a laser-like focus on the two sports dominated by Blacks.

It's not that Black athletes are committing more of these offenses. Statistically, Black athletes are committing no more of these crimes (in relation to their numbers in their sport) than the general public, Black or white. So that whole "for every 1. . . there are 5. . . " is statistically baseless. Please read these articles completely:

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-nfls-domestic-violence-problem-and-our-race-problem
http://deadspin.com/what-do-arrests-data-really-say-about-nfl-players-and-c-733301399
https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2013/07/01/the-myth-about-crime-and-pro-athletes/qlnKoSMkbhuImiS4pO87WJ/story.html
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-rate-of-domestic-violence-arrests-among-nfl-players/

. . .And that's just a few.

The more one really digs into this the more one finds Charles Haley's statement even more utterly ignorant and bullsh!t - just total coon bullsh!t And he, and anyone who defends that crap statement, needs to be called out for it.
Share 49ersWebzone