There are 185 users in the forums

Interview Charles Haley

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Did he tell them to pull their junk out in team meetings and start fapping? How about take a piss on a coaches car if they make you mad?

lol. Would be some seriously good advice if he did. Dude got 3 more SB rings and an induction into the HOF after those shenanigans.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

I'm Bruce Miller, and I approve this message.

Ikr
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
An interesting tweet from Niner Nation.

Niners Nation ‏@NinersNation 10h10 hours ago

Haley: Team needs to keep door open to previous players. Walsh didn't tell people what to do, had former players telling them.

9:14 AM - 23 Jul 2015 · Details

Thoughts on this?

Imagine the knowledge that Joe has with his own ability and the close contact with Coach Walsh. He could be the Quarterback Whisperer.
Hey Charles, as a Black man I have this to say to you: Keep your coon advice to yourself. Take your well deserved HOF status, sit the fucc down, shut the fucc up, and just ride off into the sunset quietly Don't start cooning in your advanced age.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Haley was right though. As a black guy if Haley had told me that I would have definitely been very attentive all of a sudden and afterwards I would have taken a look within myself to see where I might be able to improve off the field in light of what he said. When a HOFer speaks you listen and I am sure those guys were like "WHOA! That just happened!"

If he can get through to Aldon its a win for the team.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Did he tell them to pull their junk out in team meetings and start fapping? How about take a piss on a coaches car if they make you mad?

"Hey guys, if I get my 6th Super Bowl ring, guess where it's going......."
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Hey Charles, as a Black man I have this to say to you: Keep your coon advice to yourself. Take your well deserved HOF status, sit the fucc down, shut the fucc up, and just ride off into the sunset quietly Don't start cooning in your advanced age.

what does that even mean?
Originally posted by SofaKing:
True. Probably got awkward in there after he said it, but he's got a valid point.

It's not a valid point because he made the comment in the wake of Bruce Miller's legal troubles.

If you listen to the interview even Haley himself didn't think/wasn't trying to make a valid point.

Like a lot of older people, he thinks millennials have short attention spans, and he was being deliberately bombastic and hyperbolic to get their attention.

EDIT: Also worth saying that in the speech he further clarified that he was being hyperbolic and wasn't giving real advice by two of the three players who he cited as guiding him being black.

As for his personal struggles and behavior throughout his career, that's part of his story too. He was later diagnosed with bipolar disorder. He was unfortunate to be playing at a time when mental health concerns weren't taken as seriously, and often had to be hidden, if ever diagnosed at all.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Jul 24, 2015 at 7:43 AM ]

He broke a cell phone. What a joke.
Originally posted by jreff22:

He did it for shock value. I'm a black man too and I see what he was "trying" to say. Just look at the numbers. Men lie, women lie, numbers don't. White or black athletes in general do stupid sh.t. But we seem to do it a hell of a lot more now days. Just facts.

Originally posted by sreese:

He did it for shock value. I'm a black man too and I see what he was "trying" to say. Just look at the numbers. Men lie, women lie, numbers don't. White or black athletes in general do stupid sh.t. But we seem to do it a hell of a lot more now days. Just facts.

I get what he said and the meaning...what I don't get is what coon advice or cooning is?

Exactly
Right or wrong, Charles Haley puts it out there. But he would have been better served telling the young guys to behave like QBs. Whether it's Tom Brady or Cam Newton, QBs typically get into less trouble off the field than other position players, which isn't surprising given that they are leaders. The only two guys that I recall having anything seriously criminal linked to them are Big Ben and Mike Vick.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:

He broke a cell phone. What a joke.

uh...he also shoved his girlfriend to the ground. No big deal to you, huh....
Originally posted by sreese:

I get what he said and the meaning...what I don't get is what coon advice or cooning is?
If you don't know what a coon is, or what is meant by cooning (and how it's used in Black America today) then you'll totally miss what I'm saying here. But. . . . .

A coon was a term used during a time for white people who would paint their faces black, lips pink, buck dance and tap dance dance, and playing instruments and singing, on stage to entertain white audiences. Today the term is used to describe Black folks who, among other things, do and say anything in the presences (or for the eyes and ears) of white folks about Black folk (always negative) to gain white favor. This behavior of some Blacks needing to gain favor with white folk thwarted slave revolts (like Nat Turners).

Charles Haley "went there" with his buck dancing coonish advice to the younger Black players. I'm not a gambler, but I'd bet rent money that most, if not all, the Black players he was speaking to didn't like his statement one bit. As a go-to-the-grave 49er fan I don't need to hear another word from this man, and I hate to say that because I grew up cheering for the man. But few things burns me to my soul more than a boot-licking coon.
Share 49ersWebzone