LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Are the 49ers building in the image of a division rival?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by Constantine:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

He paid for making that tackle, but it was great too see Lynch fall back and not foward

uhh that's not lynch
Lynch

He paid for making that tackle, but it was great too see Lynch fall back and not foward

uhh that's not lynch

So was that just a stinger or did he really injur himself? Damit Reid! Why is this dude so fragile?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
we talking about the softest safety in the NFL again ?
  • thl408
I think ARI did the 4 safety thing out of necessity. There's a pretty simple way to counter a 4 safety look, and ARI never took PPetersen off the field. Spread the field via alignment so there's a clear picture of who might be coming on a blitz - don't bunch up where it makes it confusing to the OLine as to who might be blitzing and who might be dropping back. Make the safeties cover the WRs. Exploit the favorable matchup (#3 WR vs the backup safety).

It will be a nice change up against pass first teams, but it's not like Wilhoite is a bum in pass coverage. I was hoping the article would use more footage than just the PHI game. In that game, ARI gave up 521 yards with PHI averaging 4.4 per carry on the ground. The point of the article should have been that hybrid players give flexibility, not that the 49ers want to emulate ARI and may resort to the 4 safety look.
Originally posted by thl408:
I think ARI did the 4 safety thing out of necessity. There's a pretty simple way to counter a 4 safety look, and ARI never took PPetersen off the field. Spread the field via alignment so there's a clear picture of who might be coming on a blitz - don't bunch up where it makes it confusing to the OLine as to who might be blitzing and who might be dropping back. Make the safeties cover the WRs. Exploit the favorable matchup (#3 WR vs the backup safety).

It will be a nice change up against pass first teams, but it's not like Wilhoite is a bum in pass coverage. I was hoping the article would use more footage than just the PHI game. In that game, ARI gave up 521 yards with PHI averaging 4.4 per carry on the ground. The point of the article should have been that hybrid players give flexibility, not that the 49ers want to emulate ARI and may resort to the 4 safety look.

Bingo!!! Always the voice of reason.
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

uhh that's not lynch
Lynch
When did Dick Sherm catch a pass?
that's the weakest Rice to ever play in the NFL, Not lynch, or sherman.
Originally posted by susweel:
we talking about the softest safety in the NFL again ?

49ers coulda took Cyprien at 31 and used a 2nd rounder on Eddie Lacy. Instead 49ers get Reid and Vance McDonald yippie.
49ers coulda took Cyprien at 31 and used a 2nd rounder on Eddie Lacy. Instead 49ers get Reid and Vance McDonald yippie.

Reid is way better than Cyprien.

I'd also take Hyde over Lacy. More explosive and just as powerful a runner.
  • Homer
  • Veteran

Not sure what the vibe was here but I was really bummed we took Vance over Kelce. Reid was a great pick who's just had his brain rattled a little bit.

That's not Lynch. That's Sidney Rice...

I hope that's a joke.....cyprien? The guy that almost got benched. Maybe he actually did. Reid is a pro bowler and macdonald so far is a bust like cyprien. So it's a wash. Glad baalke drafted a faster version of lacy in rawhyde.....Go Baalke, always thinking ahead

Oh I didn't realize we had the option to go back in hindsight land and re-draft.

What's funny is after all that you'd still take Cyprien? As elguapo mentioned above he's been exposed big time in his pass coverage but you'd still draft a run stopping safety in the first round WITH hindsight?
  • lazy
  • Veteran
I don't think that the 49ers are trying to mimic the Arizona Cardinals, but I could be wrong.
Originally posted by elguapo:

I hope that's a joke.....cyprien? The guy that almost got benched. Maybe he actually did. Reid is a pro bowler and macdonald so far is a bust like cyprien. So it's a wash. Glad baalke drafted a faster version of lacy in rawhyde.....Go Baalke, always thinking ahead

LMAO! Ummm yeah, I'd take Reid and Hyde any day over those two plus McDonald has been essential to our blocking game and IS a very good receiver if used more than 1 time in 3 games. Plus you can move McDonald around a lot as well including the slot WR spot. We just never used him. And if for whatever reason he doesn't work out we have a plethora of other TE's this year (Carrier, Busta, Bell, etc.). Last I heard, the new coaching staff wanted to incorporate the TE's back in the passing game. Imagine that!
Share 49ersWebzone