LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

What happened to the running QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
You know, Alex Smith was a very very very good running QB at Utah.. I've always wonder why he doesn't use that skill of his more often...
Originally posted by cciowa:
that was actually bad for us, that he was our best running back at the time . terry kirby then arrived to save the day

Well, 1996 was also an offense coodinated by trestman so the run game was almost a second thought. But 1998, was one of our best running teams of the last 30 or so years. Hearst went nuts and I'm pretty sure we led the league in rushing.
They get phased out by coaches and owners that want to protect their 20 mil a year investment
To be fair though, Steve Young played in an era where the LBs were slower compared to the NFL of today. Especially the middle linebacker. Bill Walsh and his WCO offense won 4 SB destroying that middle linebacker position. The Patrick Willis of today would seek and destroy Young with early concussions.

The one team that gave Walsh some problems was the Giants. They had Lawrence Taylor.

Oh forgot the Saints' LBs too.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 17, 2015 at 1:36 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
The Saints' Dome Patrol!!

just my opinion... NO OTHER OLB in the 80s came close to Lawrence Taylor than the Saints' Rickey Jackson... personally, even the late Derek Thomas wasn't as close to the Saint's Rickey Jackson..

too much of this during the season.
Odd that this quetion be asked now with the re-emmergence of the running QB--Cam, RGIII, Wilson, Kaepernick just to name four of the best. I don't recall a time with so many QBs able to run well. Usually there are a couple of guys at any one time but currently even Luck, Smith, Rodgers...some other young guys! QB rankings favor passing so of the top ten QBs only Rodgers and Luck are very mobile. I put Rodgers in because he is a good selective runner. No one will confuse him with Kaepernick!
Originally posted by 9moon:
You know, Alex Smith was a very very very good running QB at Utah.. I've always wonder why he doesn't use that skill of his more often...

because the defensive coordinator are too skilled and the players are too fast to try that ish in the NFL. One good hit by a linebacker and he could be paralyzed for life.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by 9moon:

because the defensive coordinator are too skilled and the players are too fast to try that ish in the NFL. One good hit by a linebacker and he could be paralyzed for life.

Agree about the one good hit! He has been a very effective selective runner but his knowledge of injuries has made him pretty careful. The concussion costing him his starting job with the niners was one of the worst slides I've seen him attempt so even though this had not been a problem anyone can make a mistake and get throttled once in a while. He does take off when the defense plays off and there are no open receivers.
Just because we were talking about Steve, check out these numbers from the 1993 game vs Detroit. Not bad considering it was 30 seconds into the 2nd quarter.

Full game is available in the 49ers history thread if interested.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Niners816:
IMO, Steve ('92 on) is the prototype of what you want as a running QB. Now I've gotta admit there is a ton of bias in that because he is my favorite player (joe is too, but all the s**t Steve took and how he handled made him my fav). Steve truly was the ultimate duel threat, he could hit at over 66%+ completion, have a 100+ effeciency rating and dominate the game with his legs. I used to love it when we would go empty, and it appeared that the defense had covered the play but then Steve would rip off a 15+ yard run and move the chains. I'd give anything if kap could come close to replicating what we had in Steve.

Agree 100%...If you're looking for max efficiency from a running QB, Steve Young was the man. A true dual-threat who was sort of a wild stallion early in his career, and then he learned how to dominate from the pocket and only scrambling when it was the best option.

To the OP's question, all these running QBs have to learn how to be effective from the pocket at some point. Reason being is that's the best way to be a consistent, efficient player. It's been proven time and time again. Steve Young knew it. He developed that aspect of his game to become a truly great player. You have to be able to pick a defense apart with your arm for consistent gains, and then use your legs when the running lanes present themselves.

Agreed 100000%

Steve was arguably one of the most accurate passers to ever pick up a football. But he had to grow into that role. When he arrived at BYU he was more of an Athlete than a QB. They considered moving him to DB. He worked on his throwing mechanics for years.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
He ran out of bounds for a four yard loss
  • Andra
  • Veteran
my favorite Steve Young run of all time I was 10 years old and I remember it like it was yesterday
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
He ran out of bounds for a four yard loss

Stopped the clock.
S. Young also played in a non friendly QB time. Helment to helment was legal
Share 49ersWebzone