LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

What happened to the running QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When I think back about QBs like Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, RG3, Cam Newton, I tend to ponder "what if?". What if they were never coaxed out of being the best at what they do? What if they were used as another running back? Yeah, its dangerous, but if you are ready for the task, then why hold back? We have Colin Kaepernick. Do we corral him, or do we unleash him? I say unleash him. Yeah injuries happen, but look at Patrick Willis, he was gone in a flash. Is it worth it to take away the passion of a player just to hold on to him for an extra couple of years? We need to let this kid do his thing, and continue taking the world by storm.
IMO, Steve ('92 on) is the prototype of what you want as a running QB. Now I've gotta admit there is a ton of bias in that because he is my favorite player (joe is too, but all the s**t Steve took and how he handled made him my fav). Steve truly was the ultimate duel threat, he could hit at over 66%+ completion, have a 100+ effeciency rating and dominate the game with his legs. I used to love it when we would go empty, and it appeared that the defense had covered the play but then Steve would rip off a 15+ yard run and move the chains. I'd give anything if kap could come close to replicating what we had in Steve.
Originally posted by Niners816:
IMO, Steve ('92 on) is the prototype of what you want as a running QB. Now I've gotta admit there is a ton of bias in that because he is my favorite player (joe is too, but all the s**t Steve took and how he handled made him my fav). Steve truly was the ultimate duel threat, he could hit at over 66%+ completion, have a 100+ effeciency rating and dominate the game with his legs. I used to love it when we would go empty, and it appeared that the defense had covered the play but then Steve would rip off a 15+ yard run and move the chains. I'd give anything if kap could come close to replicating what we had in Steve.

Agree 100%...If you're looking for max efficiency from a running QB, Steve Young was the man. A true dual-threat who was sort of a wild stallion early in his career, and then he learned how to dominate from the pocket and only scrambling when it was the best option.

To the OP's question, all these running QBs have to learn how to be effective from the pocket at some point. Reason being is that's the best way to be a consistent, efficient player. It's been proven time and time again. Steve Young knew it. He developed that aspect of his game to become a truly great player. You have to be able to pick a defense apart with your arm for consistent gains, and then use your legs when the running lanes present themselves.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Running QB is not as important with all the new rules. It's much easier to throw 50 yds and get a pass interferance or take a sack for an automatic 1st down.
Originally posted by titan:
Running QB is not as important with all the new rules. It's much easier to throw 50 yds and get a pass interferance or take a sack for an automatic 1st down.

yup and we have the best WR in the league in getting PI calls

I think the rules also help running QBs as well....I think the biggest difference is how some of these running QBs take a hit or lack there. RGIII is running around thinking his a running back and gets toasted...players like Wilson and Kap know when to get get out of bounds or slide.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
They got hurt and retired.
The new defensive rules, 5 yards, defenseless hit, etc., give the passing game an advantage on offense. But you can't take advantage of it when your qb is running with the ball most of the time. And defenses have installed a spy to limit downfield running to the qb.

A mobile qb can usually extend a play when it's broken. That's the more important aspect to go along with his passing in the pocket. Not really the running downfield. Though it's not a negative, you just can't make a living as a offense when your qb is running for his life, not looking to pass the ball.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 17, 2015 at 7:33 AM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Agree 100%...If you're looking for max efficiency from a running QB, Steve Young was the man. A true dual-threat who was sort of a wild stallion early in his career, and then he learned how to dominate from the pocket and only scrambling when it was the best option.

To the OP's question, all these running QBs have to learn how to be effective from the pocket at some point. Reason being is that's the best way to be a consistent, efficient player. It's been proven time and time again. Steve Young knew it. He developed that aspect of his game to become a truly great player. You have to be able to pick a defense apart with your arm for consistent gains, and then use your legs when the running lanes present themselves.

Agree!

He was the best. I rate Fran Tarkenton behind him.

Although Fran was more of a scrambler to keep the play alive kind of what Russell Wilson does.

In the beginning of his career Montana was an effective runner too.

If Tebow could throw he'd be in today's conversation. But the is a very BIG if.

The running QB is exciting but, IMO, a season ending injury waiting to happen.

Are you listening RG III??
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The new defensive rules, 5 yards, defenseless hit, etc., give the passing game an advantage on offense. But you can't take advantage of it when your qb is running with the ball most of the time. And defenses have installed a spy to limit downfield running to the qb.

A mobile qb can usually extend a play when it's broken. That's the more important aspect to go along with his passing in the pocket. Not really the running downfield. Though it's not a negative, you just can't make a living as a offense when your qb is running for his life, not looking to pass the ball.

That's why I think Steve from '92-'98 should be the ultimate goal of any mobile passer. Once you have a defense spying a QB, you can exploit it with play calls. Shame is he still had at least two more elite years left in him (f**k you L.phillips).

That's why I think Steve from '92-'98 should be the ultimate goal of any mobile passer. Once you have a defense spying a QB, you can exploit it with play calls. Shame is he still had at least two more elite years left in him (f**k you L.phillips).

I think what sets Steve apart from some running qb is his ability to juke a tackle. Not a running back caliber moves certainly, but better than your fast straight line running qb...ahem...Kaep.

Today I would say that Arron Rodgers is the best dual threat.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Today I would say that Arron Rodgers is the best dual threat.

rodgers is deceptively fast. He is just so good at throwing that there is no need to run a lot. But he gets good chunk of yardage when the whole defense turns his back.
Rodgers is nothing like steve young though. Steve young had absolutely no fear when running (example...running without a helmet) and Rodgers only runs when there is a clear path to the sideline.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
bobby douglas, lol
I think what sets Steve apart from some running qb is his ability to juke a tackle. Not a running back caliber moves certainly, but better than your fast straight line running qb...ahem...Kaep.

Two games that always stick out in my mind about Steve (especially towards the tail end of his tenure) are the '96 cincy comeback and the '98 Indy comeback. Both games had he getting huge TD runs to complete the comebacks.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Two games that always stick out in my mind about Steve (especially towards the tail end of his tenure) are the '96 cincy comeback and the '98 Indy comeback. Both games had he getting huge TD runs to complete the comebacks.

that was actually bad for us, that he was our best running back at the time . terry kirby then arrived to save the day
Share 49ersWebzone