LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

A fictional (yet pretty close) account of what a suicide poster would have posted in 2011

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Is a suicide poster a fan that wants to die because they think the team sucks?
Originally posted by BodhiPaddlesOut:

You guys wanna hype up players like players like Patton and DeAndrew White and Dial, that's cool. Keep on keepin' on. But when I start reading stuff like this, I just have to close the tab and find another community. Really getting ridiculous. I agree the offseason "damage" to our team has been overrated, but this offseason's NT has been damn near intolerable.

Nobody wants to say that. Well, at least I don't. I have no clue whether we'll be fine or whether we'll suck this year, exactly like I had no clue of what would happen in 2011 (and by this I mean early October when we were still sort of sucking, not mid-July!). Personally I am a pessimist. A lot of things have to come right if we are to contend: we must stay comparatively injury-free, our new system must work quickly with the players, at least one, or hopefully two, rookies must contribute at a high level straight away, our QB must exceed expectations just like Alex did in '11, etc etc. But I'm not totally giving up yet. Say what you will about Tomsula, but he doesn't seem to be a straight-up motivational speaker like Singletary, and I think Geep has to really try hard to be as inept as Jimmy Raye.

The main point of my original post is that with so few games in the NFL, the effects of confidence can be incredible. It was not just that nobody expected us to be truly good in 2011, it also looked they were being proven right going into the 4th quarter of Game 4. But we did score those three TDs in a row at Philly, and Tampa (supposedly "decent" Tampa) the following week totally capitulated, and we sneaked that great victory in Detroit, and suddenly we were 5-1 and our players and fans believed. That's why I agree with the spirit of that other thread that puts so much importance on the Minny game this year. I would go further and say the first 4-5 games. If we are somehow 3-1 "going into a very winnable Sunday night game at the Meadowlands"... well, who knows. On the other hand with tough games at Pitt and AZ, then home vs GB just before that, we may very well be 1-3 "going into a very tough game at the Meadowlands". And I just can't see this team beating the negativity at that point, not after all the crap that has occurred this offseason.
The op is right on a lot of points, mainly, how are we going to replace all those starters, quality ones, and not believing the new starters may be as good.....see soap for Franklin, Rogers for Clements, Goodwin for baas, ray Mac being a true starter, bowman for spikes. Manny gone being a downgrade and Clements being gone. RIGHT ON.

Bodhisattva is right about some of the overreaction. Rogers wasn't that bad, Lawson wasn't great at making pays just a solid olb, bowman was talented, clements was solid but not too big of a loss.

Very similar to our situation now. All the starters leaving and are the new players stepping up going to be enough.

Well rawhyde will have just as good or better production than gore even though gore overall is a better RB, Hyde is the better runner now
Iupati gone but if Boone takes over he will improve our pass production which is more important to our teams success in helping Kap
T smith is an upgrade over Crabtree
Losing cully and cox will sting a bit but Brock may be better than both as he has proved before to be just as good, however our 2nd cb is going to haunt us if we keep wright there
Losing our DEs is bad but what we lose in cowboy a great player we gain another great player and better pass rusher in dockett. Dial, dorsey, tank may be better than raymac.

Again, we have so much talent coming back from injury, we will be very competitive again
Aldon...all pro
Kilgore top 10 center
Bowman...top 3 ilb even at 90 percent
Brock, very good cb
Boone in shape and vd healthy (no hold outs)

We will be fine. Pass rush looks to be improved and the fact that we are already making adjustments on the time clock and screens and easy passes to rbs that may be all the improvements we may need to be a top 15 offense and as long as we are still top 10 on defense I see at least a wild card at 10 wins.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
The following is based on true events!

Man I miss Scot McCloughan. This Trent Baalke experiment is an absolute failure and yet Jed York is so cheap that he went with our interim guy when we could have guys like Michael Lombardi who have much more experience who would have brought in a much more experienced coach that Jim Harbaugh. Sure, he won at Stanford, but I could win with Andrew Luck as my QB. BTW, with all of the moves the team made in the offseason it looks like Harbaugh is trying to position the team to draft Luck (an actual post made by someone in the WZ) because there is no way this team will win this year. Then you look at the assistant that Harbaugh brought with him. Fangio sucked in the NFL and we should have kept Manusky as our coordinator, and who the hell are Levitt and Donatell and what have they done to prove they are worthy to coach our team. At least we have Rathman, Solari, and Tomsula as coaches this year.

All of the analyst are picking us to finish last in the division that didn't even have a winning team in the regular season last year. I agree with them 100% and here is all the mistakes that Baalke has made this off season.

1st we let Nate Davis go and we brought back Alex Smith. Everyone knows that if a player doesn't produce 1-2 years after he is drafted that he is a bust and the GM that drafted him should be fired. If we were gonna take a chance on a player it should be the one that looked good in the preseason. Then, Baalke trades up for a raw QB from the WAC and should have gave up a little more to get Andy Dalton.

Next we let Takeo Spikes and Scott Mckillop go and we are gonna trust our ILB position to a 3rd rounder named Navarro Bowman to start for us, who has a grand total of 38 tackles. He did nothing as a rookie so obviously he is a bust of a draft pick and the GM who drafted him should be fired. Then we bring in veterans that sucked for their previous teams like Gooden and Larry Grant. If Willis gets hurt we might have the worst defense in the league.

Next we let Franklin, who was one of the best NT in the league, go to Saints. We are gonna trust Sopoaga to be our NT, who only had 17 tackles as a 3-4 DE. The worst part is, now we have a big hole at DE and we have to trust another bust draft pick in Ray Mcdonald. In 4 years in the NFL he has 42 tackles and 4 sacks including 13 tackles and no sacks last year. The only D Lineman we have are two unknowns named Rickey Jean and Tukuafu. It is obviously our biggest need on our team yet Baalke did nothing to address it in the draft.

We also lost our two best pass rushers in Manny Lawson and Travis Laboy. Ahmad Brooks has never started a game for us and Parys Haralson is ok as a starter. Then we didn't trade up for Von Miller and Robert Quinn was there at 7 and we draft this nobody from Missouri "who would have been there if we traded down." Again we only have 3 OLB on the roster and our idiot GM spends a draft pick on a backup FB named Miller who never played FB before, and we have Moran Norris on the roster.

Which brings us to RB. Gore isn't getting any younger and we draft a scat back in the 4th round. If we wanted an undersized RB we should have kept Westbrook.

Then there is the OLine. We lost our starting and backup Center in Baas and Wragge. We also lost our back up swing tackle in Barry Sims. Then we sign this over the hill Center named Goodwin. Anthony Davis lead the league in holding and false start penalties so he is obviously a bust and there is no way he will improve this year. Heneeded to be replaced in the draft, but we draft a guard in the 5th named Kilgore, even though we are set with Chilo Rachal as our starter at Guard and we wait until the 7th to draft a tackle.

Finally, We let Clements and Mays walk and we replace them with other teams garbage. Rodgers sucked in WSH and Whitner was way over drafted in Buffalo. Then we draft a CB in the 3rd round that Mike Mayock said was the reach of the draft, in Culliver, and Brown has started a total of 5 games in his 4 years in the NFL, so he is obviously a bust. Thank God we have Shawtae Spencer and Reggie Smith on the team!

In conclusion, we will obviously be drafting in the top 10 again next year, and Harbaugh and his group of NFL castaways will be back because expectations are so low because how can we be expected to win after a lock out with a new staff and a new system. I hope this team loses as many games as possible this year and I hope our pick is low enough to get Andrew luck or at least close enough so we can trade up to get him. Hopefully, Baalke will get fired by then so we can have a real GM.

Just being realistic and I look at the facts, unlike the other homer posters on this board!

Sounds more like a post from a fan who doesn't understand the game.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Yes, there were a lot of people on here who thought every move Harbaalke made that offseason was terrible. People were saying Harbaugh should've been fired for wanting to bring Alex back. I remember vividly people saying how losing Manny Lawson was huge because of his coverage of TE's and that he supplied a lot of pressure on the QB's. People were pissed because we missed out on Jonathan Joseph and whoever else the top CB's were that year and we settled on Rogers. A lot of people were worried about Bowman replacing Spikes. Yes it's pretty widely known that the Cowboys had him ranked as a first round pick but that is irrelevant. He wasn't a first round pick.

Originally posted by BodhiPaddlesOut:
No. No "a lot of people" weren't saying that..

This entire thread is ridiculous. Bowman, who everyone knew had plenty of potential and was a first rounder on the Cowboys board. That was commonly known, and he'd be starting next to Patrick Willis who had nearly identical measurables.

After the initial shock, a majority of people warmed up to the Aldon pick. His highlights of the game where he got sacks with the broken foot, a long with the Warren Sapp video, pretty much hyped everyone up.

"We also lost our two best pass rushers in Manny Lawson and Travis Laboy."

Nobody was decrying the loss of Manny Lawson or Travis Laboy. Nobody.

Wragge was crap and we knew it. Baas was alright, but everyone was stoked on Boone and we'd just spent a first rounder on Iupati. Goodwin had a Super Bowl ring and was still rated fairly well, at least serviceable.

"Finally, We let Clements and Mays walk and we replace them with other teams garbage. Rodgers sucked in WSH and Whitner was way over drafted in Buffalo"

What? Rodgers didn't sick in WSH. He couldn't catch. He still played consistently in coverage. The desperate WSH were just fickle desperate for every possible turnover. And Taylor Mays.... , yeah, even the suicide posters weren't attached to Mr. Cannonball.

"This Trent Baalke experiment is an absolute failure and yet Jed York is so cheap that he went with our interim guy when we could have guys like Michael Lombardi who have much more experience who would have brought in a much more experienced coach that Jim Harbaugh"

The Lombardi enthusiasm was really tempered when his actual FA and draft success was brought up. The only reason people wanted him was because of his connection with Harbaugh and it was rumored that was a caveat of Harbaugh's.... which is what helped bring up the Browns rumors.

They were. Hardly, if anyone, was upset about losing Wragge, Sopoaga (common knowledge was he sucked in 2010), Baas, Nate Davis, Lawson, Laboy, Mays, or Clements (he was overpayed )

Most of the gloom, or tempered expectations, came from the shortened offseason. Which Alex Smith saved our asses and helped out.

Total revisionist circle jerking. I am a 100% 49er fanatic. I soak up every article I can find. All 49er related commentary I loved to read. My family has to hold me back when I spot Seahawks fans in the wild, because I get pretty confrontational. I almost got in a fight with this butch chick because she showed up at the pizza parlor in her brand new Seahawks hootin' 'n' hollerin' about the Hawks until I drowned her out with booes, and the management separated us to opposite sides of the store.

You guys wanna hype up players like players like Patton and DeAndrew White and Dial, that's cool. Keep on keepin' on. But when I start reading stuff like this, I just have to close the tab and find another community. Really getting ridiculous. I agree the offseason "damage" to our team has been overrated, but this offseason's NT has been damn near intolerable.

Perception/memory of things is really fascinating to me in here. Many of those commenting now weren't even part of NT back then so perhaps they came from another board...other perspectives. But the points made here by the OP and you and most of the others are clearly inline with the perspectives here in NT during that time. When I read some perspectives, all I can envision is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYviBvhoN3g
Originally posted by SoCold:

Man I miss Scot McCloughan. This Trent Baalke experiment is an absolute failure and yet Jed York is so cheap that he went with our interim guy when we could have guys like Michael Lombardi who have much more experience who would have brought in a much more experienced coach that Jim Harbaugh. Sure, he won at Stanford, but I could win with Andrew Luck as my QB. BTW, with all of the moves the team made in the offseason it looks like Harbaugh is trying to position the team to draft Luck (an actual post made by someone in the WZ) because there is no way this team will win this year. Then you look at the assistant that Harbaugh brought with him. Fangio sucked in the NFL and we should have kept Manusky as our coordinator, and who the hell are Levitt and Donatell and what have they done to prove they are worthy to coach our team. At least we have Rathman, Solari, and Tomsula as coaches this year.

All of the analyst are picking us to finish last in the division that didn't even have a winning team in the regular season last year. I agree with them 100% and here is all the mistakes that Baalke has made this off season.

1st we let Nate Davis go and we brought back Alex Smith. Everyone knows that if a player doesn't produce 1-2 years after he is drafted that he is a bust and the GM that drafted him should be fired. If we were gonna take a chance on a player it should be the one that looked good in the preseason. Then, Baalke trades up for a raw QB from the WAC and should have gave up a little more to get Andy Dalton.

Next we let Takeo Spikes and Scott Mckillop go and we are gonna trust our ILB position to a 3rd rounder named Navarro Bowman to start for us, who has a grand total of 38 tackles. He did nothing as a rookie so obviously he is a bust of a draft pick and the GM who drafted him should be fired. Then we bring in veterans that sucked for their previous teams like Gooden and Larry Grant. If Willis gets hurt we might have the worst defense in the league.

Next we let Franklin, who was one of the best NT in the league, go to Saints. We are gonna trust Sopoaga to be our NT, who only had 17 tackles as a 3-4 DE. The worst part is, now we have a big hole at DE and we have to trust another bust draft pick in Ray Mcdonald. In 4 years in the NFL he has 42 tackles and 4 sacks including 13 tackles and no sacks last year. The only D Lineman we have are two unknowns named Rickey Jean and Tukuafu. It is obviously our biggest need on our team yet Baalke did nothing to address it in the draft.

We also lost our two best pass rushers in Manny Lawson and Travis Laboy. Ahmad Brooks has never started a game for us and Parys Haralson is ok as a starter. Then we didn't trade up for Von Miller and Robert Quinn was there at 7 and we draft this nobody from Missouri "who would have been there if we traded down." Again we only have 3 OLB on the roster and our idiot GM spends a draft pick on a backup FB named Miller who never played FB before, and we have Moran Norris on the roster.

Which brings us to RB. Gore isn't getting any younger and we draft a scat back in the 4th round. If we wanted an undersized RB we should have kept Westbrook.

Then there is the OLine. We lost our starting and backup Center in Baas and Wragge. We also lost our back up swing tackle in Barry Sims. Then we sign this over the hill Center named Goodwin. Anthony Davis lead the league in holding and false start penalties so he is obviously a bust and there is no way he will improve this year. Heneeded to be replaced in the draft, but we draft a guard in the 5th named Kilgore, even though we are set with Chilo Rachal as our starter at Guard and we wait until the 7th to draft a tackle.

Finally, We let Clements and Mays walk and we replace them with other teams garbage. Rodgers sucked in WSH and Whitner was way over drafted in Buffalo. Then we draft a CB in the 3rd round that Mike Mayock said was the reach of the draft, in Culliver, and Brown has started a total of 5 games in his 4 years in the NFL, so he is obviously a bust. Thank God we have Shawtae Spencer and Reggie Smith on the team!

In conclusion, we will obviously be drafting in the top 10 again next year, and Harbaugh and his group of NFL castaways will be back because expectations are so low because how can we be expected to win after a lock out with a new staff and a new system. I hope this team loses as many games as possible this year and I hope our pick is low enough to get Andrew luck or at least close enough so we can trade up to get him. Hopefully, Baalke will get fired by then so we can have a real GM.

Just being realistic and I look at the facts, unlike the other homer posters on this board!

To the OP, it would be fun NOW to list out all the concerns from the SP's and then revisit at the end of the season and see how all the cards fall.
  • We lost Harbaugh so there is no way we'll win more than 6 games (we'll finish last in the NFCW)
  • We lost Fangio so there is no way we'll finish in the top 5 again and #1 in TO's
  • We lost Justin Smith so there is no way we'll have similar production from AA/Dorsey/Carradine
  • We lost both Culliver and Cox so there is no way we'll have similar production from Johnson/Brock/Cook/Reaser/Acker/Wright, etc.

[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 17, 2015 at 7:56 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
I don't know about "excited" but more "relieved" b/c Miami was pushing hard for Harbaugh and if we didn't get him, then what? And the OP didn't even cover the coaching staff concerns...Fangio had one good set but only when he had top talent (Dome Patrol) and seemed to progressively always get worse with time, many still didn't like Solari, Rathman was still new, we knew that Roman was only a High School coach, who was Geep, etc. Lots of questions about the rest of the position coaches as well. Tomsula was the only proven veteran coach, etc. Most were just so happy to move on from two dead-beat defensive coaches for an alleged "QB guru." Then the non-off season began and we had no QB. So Harbaugh was forced to try and keep Alex Smith which, fortunately, was "arrow up" the 2nd half of the previous season and in the new scheme, a smart game manager was all we needed.

Then Baalke went nuts with the roster getting rid of Lawson, Clements, etc. ensuring players such as Brooks, Rogers, etc. had starting roles...in fact, he made as many moves as Seattle did in their historic off season of 2,000 moves. Baalke built the roster, the position coaches coached them up, Alex held "Camp Alex" and coached up the offense to everyone all off season, the defense took off, Gore was featured and the NFL was hit with an offense they've never seen before (all the motions/shifts) and going against the grain of the NFL which had focused more on stopping the pass vs. the run. Harbaugh provided energy, a direction and a theme "Who's got it better than us!?" And in 2011, many of our now-retired players were hitting their peaks at that time as well. It was just a formula of everything coming together at the right time...then Kyle Williams happened and HaRoman had no answers offensively against a good defense in the Giants.

As I read this I was reliving the excitement of that season and then Kyle Williams happened. His flops killed our dream season.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by NCommand:

To the OP, it would be fun NOW to list out all the concerns from the SP's and then revisit at the end of the season and see how all the cards fall.
  • We lost Harbaugh so there is no way we'll win more than 6 games (we'll finish last in the NFCW)
  • We lost Fangio so there is no way we'll finish in the top 5 again and #1 in TO's
  • We lost Justin Smith so there is no way we'll have similar production from AA/Dorsey/Carradine
  • We lost both Culliver and Cox so there is no way we'll have similar production from Johnson/Brock/Cook/Reaser/Acker/Wright, etc.

imo it's comparing apples to oranges

In 2011 we needed change because we had not had a winning season in like 8 years. Went through many players and coaches that didn't work out. Harbaugh was a coveted guy. The moves made a lot of sense.

Now, coming off three great seasons and a season full of players on IR blowing up the entire coaching staff and promoting a question mark (IMO) does not make a lot of sense.

Like I've said many times I hope it works out. In 2011 I was excited for the change. Now I have to question all the changes.
imo it's comparing apples to oranges

In 2011 we needed change because we had not had a winning season in like 8 years. Went through many players and coaches that didn't work out. Harbaugh was a coveted guy. The moves made a lot of sense.

Now, coming off three great seasons and a season full of players on IR blowing up the entire coaching staff and promoting a question mark (IMO) does not make a lot of sense.

Like I've said many times I hope it works out. In 2011 I was excited for the change. Now I have to question all the changes.

True...but no matter how we spin it, the change was inevitable (Harbaugh was a given as was all of the offensive staff, Mangini was kept on staff in case Fangio left, etc.) and it was also inevitable older vets on the downsides of their careers were about to be turned over. For us, it ALL happened in one off season. Back then, that roster was being built over time and with 2,000 roster moves and then an entirely new coaching staff was introduced with new philosophies in an off season of turmoil (i.e. there was none!); on the flip side, Baalke's been preparing for the veteran losses for a while now. In short, the details are apples to oranges to a degree but the 'starting anew' is pretty similar no matter what the agenda was used to get there.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 17, 2015 at 8:52 AM ]

• cciowa
  • Veteran
alot of people were jumping off the ship on thanksgiving night in 2011 when we lost to the ravens
WE HAVE BEEN EXPOSED
WE WILL NEVER WIN ANOTHER GAME THE REST OF THE WAY
LOL
Whatever, fire Baalke.

Tomayto or Tomahto!
Originally posted by SofaKing:
lol well done. There were probably a few who felt this way at the time.

For me, I think the only move I was skeptical about was letting Franklin go. He was playing NT at a near pro-bowl level. Didn't play nearly as well after he left. Good move to let him walk.

People hated re-signing RayMac to a $20 mil deal, saying he was unproven as a starter. That ended up being a great deal for us until he screwed it up with all his off-field issues.

Was a huge fan of Spikes, but had a pretty good feeling about Bowman taking over. He started in place of Willis the last game in 2010, against AZ. He was flying around the field. I think the only question was how he would fit next to Willis. People assumed Bowman would be the one to take on most of the blocks to free up Willis. It ended up being the other way around.

I couldn't wait to get rid of Clements and Lawson . 2 notorious under-achievers. Baas had a good year for us, but got massively overpaid. Wanted no part of his contract.

Also remember people freaking out the first few days of FA. It wasn't so much the players we lost, but the initial inactivity to replace those guys. People wanted us to be big players in FA, mainly to go after Asomugha (LOL). Baalke was bargain hunting, and it worked big time. Was able to reel in Whitner, Rogers, Goodwin, and others.

Exactly this. I was here and I saw the freak out. New coach no off season no QB new secondary new coordinators and folk expected us to suck for Luck but real Niner fans knew we had a ton of misused talent all along. I also knew we had the perfect personnel to run and stop the run and to play two TE power run football that Harbaugh preferred. Him giving Alex the playbook and Alex getting guys ready helped us to steamroll the league.
a lot of truth in there.

i guess we just gotta wait and see.
Share 49ersWebzone