LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 341 users in the forums

Some news on bonus repayments

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So I know we have a cap thread that I started back in 2008, but I felt this deserved it's own thread, as there has been a lot of talk about the retired players having to pay back their bonuses they didn't earn, and I have the details, on when we could see the return.

The 49ers have to demand repayment from the 4 retirees(Yes even Willis, and Justin Smith may be required to payback any bonus money they didn't earn), and payments could come as soon as this season, and they would then get credits on 6/1 of each year after 2015, so 3 years for Borland, and Davis, 2 for Willis, and just 2015 for Smith.

If Davis doesn't return the bonus money, the 49ers will file a grievance against Davis, and if he still refuses to return it, and he does decide to return in 2016, which is possible, the 49ers could deduct from his 2016 base salaries, now if he does return the money, and unretires after 2015, the NFLPA could and very well file a grievance against the 49ers to get Davis back his bonus money he returns(If he does of course).

So the 49ers should see some repayments from at least Borland, and Davis this year, along with the possibility they ask for Willis' and Smith's bonuses back.

I was told by my Source that because Smith negotiated his extension in 2013 without an agent, he likely didn't get language that would make it impossible for the 49ers to get repayment from him, as there is no way the 49ers would do that with a player who is represented by himself.

I doubt they demand it back from Willis, and probably Smith, as they both added so much to this team since 2007(Willis) and 2008(Smith). As for Davis, and Borland, they deserve the money to be given back, and likely will get it back very soon, unless of course these 2(More likely Davis) refuses to repay them back.
If the organization would like to manage with class, it will leave the Smith and Willis bonus situations alone.

Davis, they should restructure the contract to make the bonus somehow payable, if he unretires after next season. Put it in a trust or something.

Borland gives it back and buh bye.
Thanks for the updates
Thank you AB. If you could post the bonus money tied to each we're expecting back that would be great.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Thank you AB. If you could post the bonus money tied to each we're expecting back that would be great.

It should be around $1.5M for Davis for 3 years

It should be $154,359 a year for 3 years for Borland

Willis would be $421,750 a year for 2 years

And $2,186,668 for Justin Smith for 1 year.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

As always, you're the man. Thanks AB!
I know it should seem like we shouldn't ask for the bonus money returned from Willis and Smith, but it's not really right to pick and choose who you get it back from, and who you don't. That's basically 3 million you guys want to just let go away, as a nice gesture. As a team, that money is better off being used on a player who will actually be here, than on 2 guys who CHOSE to leave the game.
Get it back. Get it all back. Why should anyone or any player keep money he didnt earn? That is called a klepto. And I hate to think of Justin,Willis and AD as Kleptos because they are not of course but the 49ers should get the money back.
Click bait. No ones gonna go for this. Manage with class. Of course we pick and choose who we pay and how much. Duh.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Do you guys know how much Lattimore made the time he was here??

You're a Pro!
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
If the organization would like to manage with class, it will leave the Smith and Willis bonus situations alone.

Davis, they should restructure the contract to make the bonus somehow payable, if he unretires after next season. Put it in a trust or something.

Borland gives it back and buh bye.

Agree!!

Do we have to get the money back to help towards the salary cap or is that done without giving the money back?
Do u understand what I'm asking?
Originally posted by jeepzilla:

Do we have to get the money back to help towards the salary cap or is that done without giving the money back?

No cap relief unless you recover the $$, IIRC.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by jeepzilla:

No cap relief unless you recover the $$, IIRC.

Well that blows!
Share 49ersWebzone