LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Niner WR Cap Situation

Shop Find 49ers gear online
VERY good article on our cap situation from Niner Nation.

We're in excellent shape here.

One thing I noticed is the teams that have the most invested in WR suck except for KC.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/7/8/8909951/49ers-salary-cap-anquan-boldin-torrey-smith-quinton-patton-jerome-simpson

Thoughts??
They are in excellent shape at WR cap wise, and overall cap wise, should have over $40M next year to begin the offseason with, barring any in season extensions.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
They are in excellent shape at WR cap wise, and overall cap wise, should have over $40M next year to begin the offseason with, barring any in season extensions.

AB, do we have an idea of how much the cap is expected to increase next year? Another $10-12M again?

Youre the resident GM here, if you were running the show for a day, would you look at extending players sooner rather than later, and where do you think we could sign them at?
Originally posted by NCommand:

AB, do we have an idea of how much the cap is expected to increase next year? Another $10-12M again?

Right now the cap is at $143.28M, I expect in the $150M-$154M range for 2016.
Originally posted by frozen49er:

Youre the resident GM here, if you were running the show for a day, would you look at extending players sooner rather than later, and where do you think we could sign them at?

I like the idea of extending guys when they are young, so you get a great deal, ala Bruce Miller, Kilgore, Carrier, etc... But now it seems hard, as if a young guy breaks out, you aren't allowed to extend them until their 3rd season is over.

For vets, I would wait till March of the next year till their FAs, unless it's a big name like Aldon, Boone, and Boldin, I would try to extend them before FA begins.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Jed gonna save hella money maybe he can get a yamaka to cover that bald spot to prevent sunburn from the Santa Clara heat.
i love pinapples
Originally posted by NCommand:

Right now the cap is at $143.28M, I expect in the $150M-$154M range for 2016.

That sounds about right. The bottom line like you noted: we're in great cap shape going forward and esp. if this team can perform at a high baseline year only needing a few additional parts next year in FA/draft.

I like the idea of extending guys when they are young, so you get a great deal, ala Bruce Miller, Kilgore, Carrier, etc... But now it seems hard, as if a young guy breaks out, you aren't allowed to extend them until their 3rd season is over.

For vets, I would wait till March of the next year till their FAs, unless it's a big name like Aldon, Boone, and Boldin, I would try to extend them before FA begins.

when are we allowed to extend Reid?

Originally posted by matt49er:

As soon as the end of the 2015 season comes, so day after last game we can re-sign Reid to an extension if we choose too. I think we wait to see how he plays out with his concussions, and rumored potential retirement. I feel more happy about the Tartt pick now that Reid could retire at any point. I doubt he retires before 2016 is up, because he would have to return any money he didn't earn, ala Davis, and Borland.
Originally posted by matt49er:

As soon as the end of the 2015 season comes, so day after last game we can re-sign Reid to an extension if we choose too. I think we wait to see how he plays out with his concussions, and rumored potential retirement. I feel more happy about the Tartt pick now that Reid could retire at any point. I doubt he retires before 2016 is up, because he would have to return any money he didn't earn, ala Davis, and Borland.

AB, I believe you gave a nice rundown on the players we may target for extensions after this season. We know we're in great shape to lock up Aldon and Boone (even at T $, if needed) but aside from Reid (great call BTW), do you see anyone else we my want to target for LT extensions or sign earlier to cap friendly deals? Key players targeted for cuts (Bethea, Brooks, etc.). And kind of how we may look cap-wise for 2016 after all these moves were made including the cap increase plus rookie pool?
Share 49ersWebzone