There are 219 users in the forums

who will be the star of this defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
So much has changed. Conventional wisdom says aldon follows a natural ascendancy to the clear and exclusive star position on the 2015 49er defense.

But, i see a player who possesses even more talent for his craft than aldon, and plays with more competitive force out there play-to-play...and his name is Aaron Lynch.

Come fall, i think lynch will have made quite a statement to the coaching staff and will be given the time on the field to shine.
Lynch has special, speed-to-power ability which was demonstrated to perfection by lawrence taylor.
Lynch isnt LT, but there are many similarities.

I cant wait.

How do you think things will shake out?
[ Edited by xcfan on Jun 16, 2015 at 12:29 AM ]
Tank Carradine, Bowman, Bethea, Aldon and Ian Williams.

Those guys are going to do some eye popping things this year IMO no doubt about it.

These guys have a chance to get there IMO:

Lynch, Dial, Tartt, Reaser, Brock (Just really concerned about all the time he's missed and the issue - more a question of health here) and of course Brooks - being in shape could get him back to an All Pro level still IMO. He's a guy who hasn't been injured much. It's just that he has questionable motivation at times.

Long story short is this defense still has a lot of talent from where I'm sitting, from what I've seen and barring injuries has a chance to be much superior to most preseason prognostications - even if not all these guys perform at high levels and/or are healthy.

If every one of these guys hits like some of us think they can and the guys with health question marks are back at 100% or very close to it - this could be the best defense in the league.

Call me a homer if you want. There are reasons to believe it though.

I think Dockett can get there too. Almost forgot. Of course Reid has a chance to get back to being an impact guy.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Jun 16, 2015 at 12:40 AM ]
Other than Bowman & Aldon. I say Dial, Tank and Lynch
If by "star" you mean who will play in a way that gets the most press attention then I'd guess Aldon Smith. If he doesn't get injured I think he is going to be a terror this year. But if being a "star" is about who plays the most important role in helping make sure the defense as a whole is functioning to its peak efficiency then I'd say probably Bowman - with Bethea close behind.
Aldon, most talented
Bowman, potential come back poy
Maybe one of our cb's step up and becomes an allstar.

As for our dline goes, it takes more than a year for them to become a star even if they play all pro like. Unless they are jj watt. Just don't get the attention.
Out off them carridine has the best chance. Just because of sacks.
I think this is going to be more of a collective strength in that we're going to rely on a lot of personnel packages (i.e. Carradine, Dockett and guys like Tartt, Ward, Reaser, Acker, etc. are going to get a lot of time on the field mixed in with base personnel packages, etc.). I'd venture to guess we won't have any standout performances but a strong collective group.

Bethea would be my best guess...he's already terrific in coverage AND I think Mangini will go back to using him better...that is, in coverage and then also free him up in the box to play down hill, read-react to running plays AND utilize him on blitzes as he's excellent there as well. Complete player. He'll also be on the field close to 100% of the snaps.
I think Aldon wants to make a BIG statement this season. I think time spent w/Charles Haley has lit a fire inside him.

Navarro will be a FORCE.

I think Dial is going to contribute big time.

And this is the year of the TANK!

He will be unleashed to do his thing.

By the end of the season Reaser will be starting.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Tank learns the playbook, and Tartt to get some playing time, I think it will be between the two..

But seems like both will be a backup, I would really give it out to DORSEY first!!

This is the year the NFL sees the real Dorsey from LSU!!!
Originally posted by 9moon:
Tank learns the playbook, and Tartt to get some playing time, I think it will be between the two..

But seems like both will be a backup, I would really give it out to DORSEY first!!

This is the year the NFL sees the real Dorsey from LSU!!!

Man, if that happend - WOW!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Jimmie Ward

DL Dorsey
LB Aldon
Secondary Bethea

Special Teams Tartt
Definitely Willis. Of course, Borland showed a lot of promise last year. If not, you can always count on J. Smith. Hopefully heand Ray can stop the run and put pressure on the QB. I think there's a pretty good chance as long as Culliver and Cox hold down their man...
I think the safeties (reid,bethia,tartt) have a chance to "STAR" in this defense. I believe that the front 7 is going to create a lot of pressure, with Mangini sending blitzes from every angle they can possibly can. I think the unit as a whole will be rank #1 overall.

My surprise D player or the "Borland" of this year is going to Eli Harold. From all accounts from OTA'S he very explosive off the line and already had some good pass rush moves coming out of college. Hopefully when the pads go on the praise continue.
Originally posted by susweel:
Jimmie Ward

Kevin whiloite
I think there will be two All Pro's. I like Aldon Smith and Navarro Bowman to bounce back. If Aldon can reach 13 plus sacks and Bow can return to the dominant inside presence he was before the knee injury or close to it this defense will be elite. I think Bow because he's still in his mid 20s and hasn't had knee problems before the major one has a good shot at returning to form.
Share 49ersWebzone