LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Do you Agree with Vernon Davis? . . . . .

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you Agree with Vernon Davis? . . . . .

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/15/vernon-davis-game-planning-to-blame-for-low-2014-production/
it doesn't excuse his piss poor play in 2014
Well either way VD sucked last season, game plan didn't make him drop as many balls as he did.

But the game plan last season was terrible.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
sure i agree with him and the game planning, most of the game planning was to get him the ball 60% of the time... and since he dropped about 50% of them, the game planning had to blamed..
The game plan was terrible, but he was even worse, at times it looked like he wasnt even trying. I expect him to bounce back and all the fans who hate on him now will be back to the typical jock riding though.
  • Jiks
Yeah I do. I know this had been discussed a lot here but I don't think they allowed more than one or two reads in their offense. I think they were happy using VD as a decoy rather than an impact player.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Davis was a symptom (by his own making) of the overall coaching dysfunction. Example: 90 percent chance the play called won't work - he makes it a 100 percent if the ball comes his direction.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Yeah I do. I know this had been discussed a lot here but I don't think they allowed more than one or two reads in their offense. I think they were happy using VD as a decoy rather than an impact player.
I agree. But at some point even a decoy has to provide a threat. Otherwise the decoy is a wasted body on the field.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
The game plan was terrible, but he was even worse, at times it looked like he wasnt even trying. I expect him to bounce back and all the fans who hate on him now will be back to the typical jock riding though.

This
This might be helpful:

"Whenever I'd run, like, my deep over routes there was a safety sitting over there already," Davis said, via Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee. "It was just game planning. And nothing really ever opened up. But I wasn't really ever a factor in the offense last year. … The first game, yeah. But the second game, the tight ends [weren't] really involved as a whole."

"Whenever I'd run, like, my deep over routes there was a safety sitting over there already," - Vernon Davis

"Dumb schemes." Let that one roll around in your head for awhile. And remember, that's one of their best players dropping the hammer on their whole season.- Joe Staley http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/dumb-schemes-doom-disinterested-uninspired-49ers

from CK: "We get the play calls when we get the play calls and we do what we can with them. http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/11/24/7274197/49ers-vs-washington-transcripts-jim-harbaugh-players-discuss-win

"I don't see wide receiver screens," Simms said. "I don't see running back screens. Very rarely are there easy slam-dunk completions, which are a part of any really good offense. It's always 'Hey, it's 3rd-and-9, Colin, can you throw a 100-mile-per-hour strike for us 30 yards downfield?' - Chris Simms http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/12/04/49ers-struggling-simplified-offense-accumulating-critics/

This team has NO identity on first down.- Ronde Barber during the Raiders loss

"Only once did the 49ers run Gore twice on the same set of downs. That sequence came in the first quarter when Gore picked up 5 yards on first-and-10, and 11 yards on second down. "I thought when we were running the ball, we were doing a great job," Gore said after the 49ers' 24-13 loss to the Raiders. "The O-line was coming off the ball. We were having success. I think, I hope, I think, once we got behind, we felt like we had to do something different. "I feel we were in the game. The coaches are the ones calling the plays. I'm out there to play. Whatever the coach calls, I'm going to give my teammates 110 percent, whatever play it is. It's tough."

Vernon Davis: "For me, it's all about coming here, showing up and doing what I have to do to contribute," Davis said, per the San Francisco Chronicle. "As far as not getting the ball, (I) leave it up to the offensive coordinator. It's his call."
He was target once in the red zone after our first game....I think he played poorly and was injuried but for your #1 red zone threat (wasn't even close) to get one target in 15 games??? That's piss poor game planing IMO
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 15, 2015 at 3:42 PM ]
  • thl408
So he doesn't show up to camp (his fault), gets injured in week 2 (ankle, not his fault), then injured again in week 5 (back) which hindered him the rest of the season, and complains about not being involved in the offense. There was only one deep threat last season that any opposing defense gave a damn about. Of course there's going to be, "a safety sitting over there already".

I'm not excusing the scheme. It was lacking, while trying to do too much, but he needs to have some reflection when reassessing his performance last season.

Oh and the 49ers do not run a one read passing attack.
The play calling and scheme mirrored Vernon's play, crap. I just hope Geep didn't have a huge hand or got to do what he wanted. That wouldn't bode well for this year. I know at times last year it seemed we had 95 OCs on game days.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
"Whenever I'd run, like, my deep over routes there was a safety sitting over there already," - Vernon Davis

"Dumb schemes." Let that one roll around in your head for awhile. And remember, that's one of their best players dropping the hammer on their whole season.- Joe Staley http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/dumb-schemes-doom-disinterested-uninspired-49ers

from CK: "We get the play calls when we get the play calls and we do what we can with them. http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/11/24/7274197/49ers-vs-washington-transcripts-jim-harbaugh-players-discuss-win

"I don't see wide receiver screens," Simms said. "I don't see running back screens. Very rarely are there easy slam-dunk completions, which are a part of any really good offense. It's always 'Hey, it's 3rd-and-9, Colin, can you throw a 100-mile-per-hour strike for us 30 yards downfield?' - Chris Simms http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/12/04/49ers-struggling-simplified-offense-accumulating-critics/

This team has NO identity on first down.- Ronde Barber during the Raiders loss

"Only once did the 49ers run Gore twice on the same set of downs. That sequence came in the first quarter when Gore picked up 5 yards on first-and-10, and 11 yards on second down. "I thought when we were running the ball, we were doing a great job," Gore said after the 49ers' 24-13 loss to the Raiders. "The O-line was coming off the ball. We were having success. I think, I hope, I think, once we got behind, we felt like we had to do something different. "I feel we were in the game. The coaches are the ones calling the plays. I'm out there to play. Whatever the coach calls, I'm going to give my teammates 110 percent, whatever play it is. It's tough."

Vernon Davis: "For me, it's all about coming here, showing up and doing what I have to do to contribute," Davis said, per the San Francisco Chronicle. "As far as not getting the ball, (I) leave it up to the offensive coordinator. It's his call."
Every bit of this. . .
Share 49ersWebzone