There are 337 users in the forums

Where do you stand on Alex Boone?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Where do you stand on Alex Boone?

i dont. he stands on me tbh
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jnybquik:
He repaid us for his opportunity by totally outperforming his contract. When he held out last year he was coming off a year where he was rated something like the 8th-9th best guard in the NFL by PFF. That year he also showed high value as the swing Tackle by replacing Staley when he got hurt with the Rams and did great. And for that he was getting paid like the 43rd rated Guard in the NFL. He earned the raise, and I'd be pissed too if i was hustling and over achieving & got no love.

Completely agree. I was upset that he wasn't there for game 1, but dude was ridiculously underpaid. He's still very underpaid, even after holding out and getting a better contract. He didn't have a great season in 2014, but since he won RG spot he's been our best O-lineman outside of Staley.
Move him to RT, go smaller and faster up front.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Pay the man. 4 year deal. We need the security.
You would need a real tall ladder to stand on AB. One of those Little Giant ladders?.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
he is on our team, he will be in camp, we wants to be a part of the team, he is needed , i support him til he gives me a reason not to. move him to tackle, infuse some youth at the guard spot and we move forward in a positive way
Even if he proves he can play right tackle, I would never trust this guy with a contract. Imagine if he became an elite RT? He'd claim he out played his contract and hold us hostage. No thanks. Cant trust him.

I'd pay Aldon an all guaranteed mega contract before I'd pay Boone.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jun 8, 2015 at 9:15 PM ]
Not a trusted agent .
But what if the coaches "Work him too hard" like Harbaugh did?
Originally posted by natrone06:
I think it's crazy when fans take this kind of stuff so personally. They create this entire false "evil" narrative to justify their anger . NFL teams have 0 loyalty to players so its 100% fine with me for players to try and maximize their value when they can. Just play well when you are on the field. We need boone more now then ever. I hope it all works out and he balls out as our new rt.

That's because as fans we support our organization and the players that play for it and if he's not making our team better then we don't really care what his reasons are. That's our right as fans who pay astronomical ticket and food prices not to mention merchandise costs for 3 hours of entertainment every Sunday. The NFL has a salary cap so there's no room for loyalty to a player unless you want your team to suck. The Niners were loyal to Boone and gave him more money than he deserved before he deserved it. Now logic says with the holes on the O-Line that we should move him to RT and pay him because T is more important than G. However, with him holding out last year and starting off the year horribly then not coming to OTAs this year after a bad year as a team and having to learn a new blocking scheme from a brand new coaching staff it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. He didn't get anything extra out of holding out just his money converted from bonus to salary and now he's sort of doing the same this year and he's an idiot for doing it. If he was smart he would know that he has a chance to really increase his value moving out to his more natural position. Normally I would say OTAs don't matter for a vet but with a new coaching staff and scheme you would think he would want to be as prepared for this season as possible especially if he's looking to cash in. After hearing Boone's comments about reaching the mountain top when he hasn't I really question his character. I've seen the 49ers hand out extension after extension to good players who participate in camp and OTAs. Smith, Staley, Bowman, Willis, Gore, Davis, Kap, etc. Why wouldn't they do the same for him unless he has overvalued his worth.

Yeah I guess he could get hurt participating in OTAs but he could get hurt playing with his kids. I appreciate what the players have contributed but I care about what's best for the 49ers organization and what's best is having every player getting in as much time with the new staff as the rules allow. If he's not willing to do that trade him now or if you can figure out that he can play at an elite level at either G or T get what you can out of him this year and move on. If he does play at an elite level in a contract year I have to wonder where was that ALL of last year and is he just money motivated? What happens when he gets his millions? Sure every player cares about money, I would, especially playing a sport with a short shelf life but there is something about Boone that just seems off IMO. It's hard to measure heart but looking at his production and comments he doesn't seem like a player that is going to sell out. You can love money that's fine but to be a winner and make the players around you better you have to love the sport. You know when a player really loves what he's doing when he enjoys or takes pride in the little things like the offseason OTAs, the weight room and the extra film study. I could be totally off because I don't see him everyday but from a fan's perspective I don't see it. Finally take a look at the players that hold out and they usually are guys that get paid and fall off the face of the earth. Why is that?
[ Edited by IHATELOWELLCOHN on Jun 9, 2015 at 2:07 AM ]

On his big toe.
I say pay him 4yr 25 mil with 9 or 10 guarantee I think that fair
let him try out the RT position for a year, then pay him if he does well. If he does poorly, and in the meantime, we have groomed an effective young RG, then cut him. If he doesnt win the RT job, then let him play RG this year and see how he does. Then pay him as a guard.

Good guards seem to be a lot easier to find than good tackles, so let his play at either position determine what he is paid.
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
Originally posted by natrone06:
I think it's crazy when fans take this kind of stuff so personally. They create this entire false "evil" narrative to justify their anger . NFL teams have 0 loyalty to players so its 100% fine with me for players to try and maximize their value when they can. Just play well when you are on the field. We need boone more now then ever. I hope it all works out and he balls out as our new rt.

That's because as fans we support our organization and the players that play for it and if he's not making our team better then we don't really care what his reasons are. That's our right as fans who pay astronomical ticket and food prices not to mention merchandise costs for 3 hours of entertainment every Sunday. The NFL has a salary cap so there's no room for loyalty to a player unless you want your team to suck. The Niners were loyal to Boone and gave him more money than he deserved before he deserved it. Now logic says with the holes on the O-Line that we should move him to RT and pay him because T is more important than G. However, with him holding out last year and starting off the year horribly then not coming to OTAs this year after a bad year as a team and having to learn a new blocking scheme from a brand new coaching staff it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. He didn't get anything extra out of holding out just his money converted from bonus to salary and now he's sort of doing the same this year and he's an idiot for doing it. If he was smart he would know that he has a chance to really increase his value moving out to his more natural position. Normally I would say OTAs don't matter for a vet but with a new coaching staff and scheme you would think he would want to be as prepared for this season as possible especially if he's looking to cash in. After hearing Boone's comments about reaching the mountain top when he hasn't I really question his character. I've seen the 49ers hand out extension after extension to good players who participate in camp and OTAs. Smith, Staley, Bowman, Willis, Gore, Davis, Kap, etc. Why wouldn't they do the same for him unless he has overvalued his worth.

Yeah I guess he could get hurt participating in OTAs but he could get hurt playing with his kids. I appreciate what the players have contributed but I care about what's best for the 49ers organization and what's best is having every player getting in as much time with the new staff as the rules allow. If he's not willing to do that trade him now or if you can figure out that he can play at an elite level at either G or T get what you can out of him this year and move on. If he does play at an elite level in a contract year I have to wonder where was that ALL of last year and is he just money motivated? What happens when he gets his millions? Sure every player cares about money, I would, especially playing a sport with a short shelf life but there is something about Boone that just seems off IMO. It's hard to measure heart but looking at his production and comments he doesn't seem like a player that is going to sell out. You can love money that's fine but to be a winner and make the players around you better you have to love the sport. You know when a player really loves what he's doing when he enjoys or takes pride in the little things like the offseason OTAs, the weight room and the extra film study. I could be totally off because I don't see him everyday but from a fan's perspective I don't see it. Finally take a look at the players that hold out and they usually are guys that get paid and fall off the face of the earth. Why is that?

Well SAID!

and i agree with all of it.

He may have had his 2 great years, but had he just stayed committed and not thrown a tantrum about wanting more money.

We probably would have extended him, considering we let Iupati go, and now Anthony Davis. We now have the money to throw his way

If it's actually earned. but so far, he hasn't earned that. Sure he had played great when he was committed. But when you hold out because of it, you lose points in my book.

He should know that we've been committed to him since he's got here, and he should have had more trust in our FO that we would pay him when the time came to it.

But now they're definitely delaying it as you can tell. until clearly if we can see if he still has it, or can fill in at RT.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Move him to RT, go smaller and faster up front.

this. He is making I think 3.5 this year. See how he does at RT and if he plays well give him a 2-3 yr deal.
Share 49ersWebzone