There are 137 users in the forums

Where do you stand on Alex Boone?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Where do you stand on Alex Boone?

Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
Personally this guy has really been on my s**t list.

Ever since his whole attitude from the last offseason with holding out because he wants more money.

I've just been saying trade him, get him off the team. When he was playing, you saw how bad his performance was.

Considering this guy was an out of shape alcoholic before he whipped his ass into shape 5 years ago.

and this is how he's repaying us?

I mean clearly we need all the help we can get at OL, and as much as i'd like him to get back to work and get his head straight.

I just dont know if its even worth it.

Anyways, this is the only guy on the team i feel like we need to either get rid of, or pay him so we can get everyone focused on the season.
He repaid us for his opportunity by totally outperforming his contract. When he held out last year he was coming off a year where he was rated something like the 8th-9th best guard in the NFL by PFF. That year he also showed high value as the swing Tackle by replacing Staley when he got hurt with the Rams and did great. And for that he was getting paid like the 43rd rated Guard in the NFL. He earned the raise, and I'd be pissed too if i was hustling and over achieving & got no love.
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
If Boone has shown he can be a stud RT for at least a year then yeah pay him, we don't know if he can right now.

I agree,

If he can show up to work and impress at RT then by all means, pay the man so we can have solid Tackles.

then i think we could put Kilgore at RG, start Marcus Martin at Center, and Brandon Thomas at LG, then of course Joe Staley at LT.

I wish at Joe Looney would make a name for himself as well.

That doesn't look bad.
There's few option left but to pay him what he's worth. Besides Staley, he is/was the best pass protecting OLineman last year. I'm sure no one wants to continue seeing Kap running for his life again this year. Him & Staley are proven commodities? How many of those other ones have passed blocked successfully in the NFL?
Try him at tackle and if he proves to be a better tackle than guard or if he is better than the next guy leave him a tackle. Then if they can resign him to a deal that makes since for the team then do it.
Originally posted by susweel:
Well according to nt he's a natural right tackle and we need to extend him so that's where I stand.

• buck
  • Veteran
Well, I am glad that he is not holding out.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susknowsbest:
Originally posted by susweel:
Well according to nt he's a natural right tackle and we need to extend him so that's where I stand.

My dude
He wants to be a tackle? The door is now open, time to put up or shut up...he wins the job and plays well we give him his money.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Jun 8, 2015 at 6:39 PM ]
if he brings it i'm fine. why ask?
If management is going to blow this roster up, he's gone. He has leverage with Davis retiring, We'll see shortly how this plays out, my guess is that he goes for a 6th rounder.
He's relatively old for a player looking for his second contact. I don't think he'll give us a hometown discount because of that fact. I do like that he's homegrown from our practice squad.
[ Edited by Olejohnnyboy on Jun 8, 2015 at 6:58 PM ]

In the other thread, Pill said play Boone at RT for the year while we assess Trent Brown. If it looks like Brown can play in the PS games, then don't extend Boone, let him walk for big $$ and a comp pick for us. Backfill RT with Brown in 2016. If Brown doesn't look like he'll be ready by 2016, then try to extend Boone around week 1.

It sounds like a decent plan to me. His holdout pissed me off, and it bothers me that he skipped the offseason, but if it looks like he's ready to seize the RT position and anchor the right side, I can get past it.
Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
He's relatively old for a player looking for his second contact. I don't think he'll give us a hometown discount because of that fact. I do like that he's homegrown from our practice squad.

It's his third contract. He signed an extension that he loved, but only until he realized that he didn't get a new signing bonus each year.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Looking to make a RT money, so he may be on his best behavior. I still dont trust that he has the best interest for our team.
I don't trust him, but I don't see a better option at RT. If they have a ton of confidence in our interior OL guys, or our interior OL players excel, then my guess is the 49ers do this:

* Let him play out his contract year and do a tremendous job.
* Let him get a massive contract in FA and get a com pick for him.
* Draft an OT to compete with Trenton Brown (and Anthony Davis if he returns) in 2016-17.

Could wind up being a win-win for us.
If he wins the job - PAY him.

Then, see how he plays all season and make a new decision based on new facts.

If he 's average - drop kick him.

If he's excellent - PAY him.

Don't forget - he can also swing over to LT and play very well if Staley gets hurt.
Share 49ersWebzone