LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Surprise Starters

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Lynch at a nice 260 lbs still isn't good enough to beat out Brooks..
Originally posted by 9moon:

It could happen. They say the biggest jump for most players happens in year 2. Lynch showed a ton of ability as a rookie, and Brooks is no spring chicken. He could take the job sooner than we think, but Ahmad seems motivated this year to hold onto his starting spot. Come into OTAs in great shape.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by 9moon:

It could happen. They say the biggest jump for most players happens in year 2. Lynch showed a ton of ability as a rookie, and Brooks is no spring chicken. He could take the job sooner than we think, but Ahmad seems motivated this year to hold onto his starting spot. Come into OTAs in great shape.

One of the biggest shockers of the season to me was that they didnt cut Brooks for the cap savings. I think had Pat and Justin not retired Brooks would have been gone.
Originally posted by susweel:
One of the biggest shockers of the season to me was that they didnt cut Brooks for the cap savings. I think had Pat and Justin not retired Brooks would have been gone.

Yup, also RayMac getting himself released freed up some cash. it seemed like Brooks was really close to being shown the door. Almost traded him mid-season and got benched in the Giants game. Hope he has his head on straight this year.
I am calling it Keith Reiser

• MarkD
  • Veteran
Quinton Patton
Cook needs to stay injury free along with Brock, SW needs to learn to keep his hands from getting caught in the cookie jar.

DJ has not looked sharp in OTA's, either that or guys like Simpson are that good, hope its the later. I do like our potential at CB. Remember one of our own got snapped up trying to sneak him onto the PS and ended up starting. The question is whether the new DB coach is as good as the old regime's.
Kendall Hunter. Because he's the best back on the roster.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Kendall Hunter. Because he's the best back on the roster.

he was the best back on the roster when gore was here also but didn't start

#TRUTH
Originally posted by susweel:

Yup, also RayMac getting himself released freed up some cash. it seemed like Brooks was really close to being shown the door. Almost traded him mid-season and got benched in the Giants game. Hope he has his head on straight this year.

Whether they will admit or not, Brooks is insurance for ILB spot if injuries or Wilhoite don't extend.

Don't forget that Aldon played inside at Mizzou at times, taking out Wilhoite and bringing in Lynch with Brooks or Eli is a possibility.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Originally posted by thl408:
Ahmed Brooks. If he gets back to 2013 Brooks, I can see him being the base 3-4 LOLB with Lynch being the nickel pass rusher. I think that kind of counts as a surprise.

I would agree, but Im not sure it would be much of a surprise. Ahmad was a prowboler not too long ago, and he is a more complete player in comparision to Lynch. I would love to use Brooks and Lynch how Parys and Aldon were used in 2011, it would allow us to optimally use both players skill sets.

Is Lynch the favorite to start? I thought Brooks was still the presumptive starter. Should be a good battle between those guys. Lynch will take over at some point, but for now, I really like Brooks in base and Lynch in nickel.

Yeah, maybe Brooks starting wouldn't be a surprise. I just figured that since Lynch started to get more snaps last season, that he'd be the favorite to start. I'm hoping for a bounce back season from Brooks as he reclaims his spot in the 3-4 base. Lynch looked better as a pass rusher so I see Lynch as the nickel edge rusher. Brooks isn't going to ride pine and should be utilized for his excellent rush defense.

I think they want to keep Lynch fresh like they once did with fred dean many years ago
Originally posted by NCommand:
Quinton Dial
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Pinion

Already have both as starters. Dial on base downs at LDE and well, it's just my O-Pinion, but I think Acker could be out the door.

It's Andy Lee. I think you are confusing David Akers with Kenneth Acker as far as last names go. Either way the second half of your statement doesn't make sense. Akers has been gone for awhile too btw.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Whether they will admit or not, Brooks is insurance for ILB spot if injuries or Wilhoite don't extend.

True, and Tomsula didn't rule that out when he was asked if Brooks could play inside. Right now he plays inside on some of the goalline packages. He hasn't played ILB since he was a Bengal, but he's versatile to possibly do it if Wilhoite goes down.

I'm rooting for Skov to be the primary backup ILB. Being a Stanford fan I'm biased, but I love his instincts and tenacity. He plays faster than his timed speed, and is always around the ball. I hope he gets a shot to stick on the roster.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Don't forget that Aldon played inside at Mizzou at times, taking out Wilhoite and bringing in Lynch with Brooks or Eli is a possibility.

Also could see Tartt come in for Wilhoite if we want to show a Dime look.
Share 49ersWebzone