LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

o-line coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I think Marcus Martin's best chance for a starting spot is at RG

I'm not holding my breath, but I'd be pumped if that happened. Boone (so far) is the best swing T candidate on the roster, and Martin is more naturally equipped (IMO) to succeed inside. He has great size and agility, a super thick lower body, and he moves and adjusts fluidly. Last year, he didn't have NFL strength yet. That should be better now.

Agree in bold.

AND he absolutely knows it.

Then he can sit on the bench and fill in if Staley or Davis get hurt. I really don't like him as a ZBS guard, unless he's been hiding some agility and flexibility under his bed. I like him a lot as a T, but not more than Staley and Davis.
  • thl408

I'm not holding my breath, but I'd be pumped if that happened. Boone (so far) is the best swing T candidate on the roster, and Martin is more naturally equipped (IMO) to succeed inside. He has great size and agility, a super thick lower body, and he moves and adjusts fluidly. Last year, he didn't have NFL strength yet. That should be better now.

Agree in bold.

Then he can sit on the bench and fill in if Staley or Davis get hurt. I really don't like him as a ZBS guard, unless he's been hiding some agility and flexibility under his bed. I like him a lot as a T, but not more than Staley and Davis.

I don't think Boone is a good scheme fit either. I'm going to go out on a limb and say there are no good ZBS guards that are 6'8". Being able to go lateral, pivot, and all that nimble footwork stuff - being that tall becomes detrimental towards the ability to move. Olinemen are pretty athletic nowadays, and Boone may be able to suffice, but in terms of excelling, I don't see it.
Originally posted by thl408:

Agree in bold.

I don't think Boone is a good scheme fit either. I'm going to go out on a limb and say there are no good ZBS guards that are 6'8". Being able to go lateral, pivot, and all that nimble footwork stuff - being that tall becomes detrimental towards the ability to move. Olinemen are pretty athletic nowadays, and Boone may be able to suffice, but in terms of excelling, I don't see it.

BTW, how's your new project coming along? I'm excited to check it out!
edit: nvm, found it! Good stuff!!
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Jun 2, 2015 at 1:12 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:

Agree in bold.

He is abosultely not a scheme fit. I would not be surprised if this hold out costs him his starting job, and id be stoked to see the young guys play.
With the NIners unlikely to keep Boone beyond 2015, now's not the time to put him at RT. Kilgore's fine at C...he was arguably our most consistent OL before he got hurt in the Denver debacle. At C, you want not only a strong player, but a smart one. At this point, Kilgore's got that edge on M. Martin. And, as others have pointed out, we can't hang onto how the blocking schemes were in the past...new OC and a number of changes, including zone blocking.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
With the NIners unlikely to keep Boone beyond 2015, now's not the time to put him at RT. Kilgore's fine at C...he was arguably our most consistent OL before he got hurt in the Denver debacle. At C, you want not only a strong player, but a smart one. At this point, Kilgore's got that edge on M. Martin. And, as others have pointed out, we can't hang onto how the blocking schemes were in the past...new OC and a number of changes, including zone blocking.

Staley Thomas Kilgore Martin Davis

Agree and NOT Center.

Look for Kilgore to be on top of his game.

Marcus Martin might surprise us, he knows with Iupati gone he has a legitimate shot at earning a starting spot , Boone might b***h his way out of a contract for next year, so Thomas and Martin better be ready to knock some heads
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:

THIS. I'd make a case for Staley Martin Kilgore Thomas Davis, but that's splitting hairs. It's hard to guess at the fine points until we know their finer points of schematic emphasis.
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:

THIS. I'd make a case for Staley Martin Kilgore Thomas Davis, but that's splitting hairs. It's hard to guess at the fine points until we know their finer points of schematic emphasis.

I like that starting lineup too, time to trade Boone and let Pears, Looney, Farrell and T.Brown be the backups
Share 49ersWebzone