There are 270 users in the forums

Who's going to be our #3

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's going to be our #3

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by cciowa:
hey,, if he is the best and out plays him, more power to him. i just want the best , and do not care the names. good posters will not care, they just want the best guys on the team.. its all about opportunities,,, no one thought chris cook would be making the roster last year, and it was not because others sucked

Somehow I doubt that a guy who struggled to run routes in college and prefers to catch with his stomach and not his hands is much of a threat to anyone on the roster currently. Every year people get all hyped up on some UDFA, especially a wide receiver because they are big or really fast or big AND really fast and the absolute vast majority of the time it amounts to nothing at all. If Blakeney can make the practice squad, I think he'd be doing damn well.
you mean like i was about david boston back in the day , marlon moore and jon baldwin last year?
QP
Patton, I think he shines once finally given the chance.

Someone mentioned they don't know who they would really compare him to in the modern day. Not sure there's really a receiver that does compare to him in build/size. In the past, perhaps Torry Holt.
Simpson as the veteran has an edge, but only if he has straightened up his life. I don't usually get concerned about players using grass, but Simpson was arrested when a six pound bag was intercepted addressed to him. On further investigation the police found another six pound bag, empty six pound bags, scales, etc. If he was trafficing then...I'm worried.

But Baalke no doubt investigated all this before signing him and the court gave him a slap on the wrist, so...

1st up: Boldin, T Smith, Simpson
Next: Ellington, Patton, Anderson

Injured: Smelter

PS: any of the rest of the rookie WRs

Sadly, I see Jacobs being the odd man out this year. He has talent but...not enough to capture a spot.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Patton, I think he shines once finally given the chance.

Someone mentioned they don't know who they would really compare him to in the modern day. Not sure there's really a receiver that does compare to him in build/size. In the past, perhaps Torry Holt.

His nfl draft profile page had him compared to Reggie Wayne
Maybe they go with the hot hand .
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Reggie bush
For the first time in years, I feel and believe that this coaching staff (especially the WR position) knows what they are doing and trust them to make he right decision. I think we finally have good talent at the WR spot.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
all 3 depending on the play
It's a lot easier to have confidence knowing our DB coach helped mold ODB and Landry...

I'd say it's Simpson's job to lose, which I hope he does. I'd love to see Patton consistently show up instead of flashes here and there.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I'd say it's Simpson's job to lose, which I hope he does. I'd love to see Patton consistently show up instead of flashes here and there.

but if simpson plays lights out in practice, earns it and makes plays for us, what would be so tragic about it? if we would have had a decent wr coach or someone to develop patton and ellington in the last two years,, ahh never mind
but if simpson plays lights out in practice, earns it and makes plays for us, what would be so tragic about it? if we would have had a decent wr coach or someone to develop patton and ellington in the last two years,, ahh never mind

I'd LOVE to see Simpson play lights out and shred defenses. Nothing would be tragic about it. I'm just a big Patton fan.
Whoever ends up being the 3rd WR should have an advantage on our opponents Nickle Back.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:

I'd LOVE to see Simpson play lights out and shred defenses. Nothing would be tragic about it. I'm just a big Patton fan.
understand, i was not picking on you! it is always nice when our young kids that we drafted turn out well. i think all three of them will be good behind two fine starters. wow you throw in a refreshed vernon, four guys who can catch the ball out of the back field,,,, we should be able to score more than four points per game in the second half of games this year. of course taking away the " miller deep" option could retard our offense a bit but i am willing to take that risk
Share 49ersWebzone