LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 326 users in the forums

49ers Secondary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Lack of experience at CB. Brock has the most but only a handful of games as starter before he got injured. Wright has some experience with the Chargers but we don't really know if he's going to be any good with us. There seemed to be some talent within this group but we don't know how consistent they are. So hopeful that they will be consistent but depressing that we don't have 1 CB that we can say with confident that is stable and consistent going into the season.

I'm not concerned about the loss of Culliver due to off field stuff, and the fact that Baalke has been amazing at finding replacements. My greatest concern is the loss of Donatel. We'll have to see if Mangini and Lewis can do the same magic!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Hopeful, but depressing thread.

Explain? We lost a career backup and a cb with off field issues...

Originally posted by cciowa:
i do not feel that way at all,,, got brock back, lot of young kids who were drafted for this type of situation, we have a really good secondary coach, got guys back like ward who were hurt and should be a year smarter . cook was very good before he got hurt, possible change of scenery for wright. how can you not be excited about this area of our team?

Lack of experience at CB. Brock has the most but only a handful of games as starter before he got injured. Wright has some experience with the Chargers but we don't really know if he's going to be any good with us. There seemed to be some talent within this group but we don't know how consistent they are. So hopeful that they will be consistent but depressing that we don't have 1 CB that we can say with confident that is stable and consistent going into the season.

And we had a ton of experience this past season? Culliver was coming off a ACL and Cox was a career backup that had been cut by 3 teams including SF....Brock was the 14th ranked CB in 2013 and yes was a solid #1
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Who do you guys think will be the two starters?

Will Ward be the Nickle starter?

Where's D.Johnson going to play?

Will Tarrt be the starter when Beatha leaves?

Will the CBs coming back from injuries going to make an impact?

Will we miss Cox and Cully?

I might be alone on this but I strongly believe Chris Cook has a legitimate shot at being a starter. He was above average last season before his injury.
you are not alone.. now yes i may have missed the boat when i breathlessly predicted eric wright, marlon moore and jon baldwin would be great players for us last year ... but no i think this guy took advantage of a chance in scenery last year and could be a big plus for us this year,, just like i hope the same could happen with simpson the wide out.... again we have a fine secondary coach to
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Hopeful, but depressing thread.

Explain? We lost a career backup and a cb with off field issues...

Originally posted by cciowa:
i do not feel that way at all,,, got brock back, lot of young kids who were drafted for this type of situation, we have a really good secondary coach, got guys back like ward who were hurt and should be a year smarter . cook was very good before he got hurt, possible change of scenery for wright. how can you not be excited about this area of our team?

i just look at that as fun. it will be fun to see them duke it out, it will be fun to see what we got with the guys. now if it goes south, there will be plenty of time to b***h , moan and second guess, but for now,, for me,,, the battles in that area and o line are fun and that is the stuff that gets me excited about the season, new people, new coaches, new ideas, new energy, a fresh start for all
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I think someone should challenge T. Brock for the starting position, I don't think he should be set in stone in anyway. Both Chris Culliver and Perrish Cox played better than T-Brock's best year and they weren't re-signed WTF!!!!
I might be alone on this but I strongly believe Chris Cook has a legitimate shot at being a starter. He was above average last season before his injury.

I hope so. Much rather have him or Johnson than Wright
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I think someone should challenge T. Brock for the starting position, I don't think he should be set in stone in anyway. Both Chris Culliver and Perrish Cox played better than T-Brock's best year and they weren't re-signed WTF!!!!

culliver got overpaid and cox was just too old to sign to an extension considering the influx of young talent
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ers808:

I hope so. Much rather have him or Johnson than Wright

NorthBay you are not alone on this at all, Chris Cook showed he belongs in the secondary last season. He made me a big fan of him with his play in Preseason last year.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

culliver got overpaid and cox was just too old to sign to an extension considering the influx of young talent

Culliver yes got over paid, Cox is only 28 and so far aside from Dontae Johnson and Chris Cook, the young talent on the roster are question marks.
Originally posted by mr_P:
Dontae Johnson will be a starter. No way in hell Wright beats him out.

What exactly is this based on. Or is this more "I can't believe the only CB that the 49ers signed was Carlos Rogers, the guy is A BUM!!!!" type rhetoric, making the usually false assumption that a players level of production on Team A will be automatically equivalent to their level of production on Team B.

For all we know, Wright goes HAM in a 49ers uniform and ends up looking like the best CB on the roster. He played on a defense that had a lousy pass rush for much of his time there, its telling that Baalke opted to go after this guy over several others.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 25, 2015 at 11:55 AM ]

Culliver yes got over paid, Cox is only 28 and so far aside from Dontae Johnson and Chris Cook, the young talent on the roster are question marks.

cox was a question mark this time last year too..
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by mr_P:
Dontae Johnson will be a starter. No way in hell Wright beats him out.

What exactly is this based on. Or is this more "I can't believe the only CB that the 49ers signed was Carlos Rogers, the guy is A BUM!!!!" type rhetoric, making the usually false assumption that a players level of production on Team A will be automatically equivalent to their level of production on Team B.

For all we know, Wright goes HAM in a 49ers uniform and ends up looking like the best CB on the roster. He played on a defense that had a lousy pass rush for much of his time there, its telling that Baalke opted to go after this guy over several others.

Since Reaser is getting a lot of love from team mates and coaches (via the press) it may be a moot point! I do recall those angry posts about Rogers...but I also remember how wonderful it was to sign Nate Clements.

The niners have seldom, if ever, had such a deep backfield...on either side of the ball. Questions? Sure, just like every off season...which is one good reason for this site to exist!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 25, 2015 at 12:09 PM ]
This is the same tone that we had last year with all of these "questions" if you don't know by now that the media reports are rooted in story, popularity and not facts then you'll rest easier at night.

with a secondary that was banged up and no real pass rush we led the league in interceptions.

we have a healthy reid and antoine that's a top 5 safety duo in the NFL period.

I believe Johnson will show enough to win the starting job on the other side of Brock.
Wright and Ward as Nickel Tartt as Dime/Ilb cover role.

Cook looked good before he got injured and the other guys will contribute and especially on special teams.

and then add in the fact that the pass rush might actually crush teams this year i think our defense is already underrated. we will be one of the best in the league.

Mangini has always had a great defensive mind just not great defensive talent to go with it. Now he does.

Totally onboard with this line of thinking!
I see Acker and Reaser getting alot of playing time... Does that mean they start?? Not sure but me personally I'm feeling VERY good about the secondary!
  • thl408
I had big questions at CB last season as well. Donatell proved his worth. Now that he's gone, I have the same questions. If Brock locks down the LCB spot, that eases a lot of concerns. One thing is for sure, the saftey spots are again a strength and I'd prefer it this way rather than good CBs with questions at safety.
Share 49ersWebzone