LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

49ers Secondary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
is bethea worth bringing back in your opinion guys?

No.
I'm curious who starts at corner after the bye. I'd like to see Johnson and Cromartie out there again. I think they earned another start, much like Gabbert did.

Not that Brock and Acker are terrible, I think both improved as the year went on. But Johnson and Cromartie really showed me something against ATL. They brought some swagger to the secondary, making plays on the ball and filling hard against the run. Maybe it was just one game, but I'd like to see if they can do it again.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I'm curious who starts at corner after the bye. I'd like to see Johnson and Cromartie out there again. I think they earned another start, much like Gabbert did.

Not that Brock and Acker are terrible, I think both improved as the year went on. But Johnson and Cromartie really showed me something against ATL. They brought some swagger to the secondary, making plays on the ball and filling hard against the run. Maybe it was just one game, but I'd like to see if they can do it again.

Them, reid and tartt, our secondary just might be molding itself into a great one.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by cciowa:
is bethea worth bringing back in your opinion guys?

No.

agreed, save the money and start Tartt.

Hey that rhymed.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Heck yah, especially Cromartie, he matched up with Julio Jones perfect. If they send him back to the PS, I give up on this coaching staff.

I honestly like Cromartie over Brock.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Heck yah, especially Cromartie, he matched up with Julio Jones perfect. If they send him back to the PS, I give up on this coaching staff.

I honestly like Cromartie over Brock.

I really like Cromartie. Swagger and confidence definitely beam from him. I wouldn't pencil him as a starter just yet. Brock deserves to keep starting -- he was one of the only players to do something vs Seattle with two interceptions. Acker though, it's a toss up. He doesn't have the height or speed advantage, but he's got the quick flip hips. Based on experience on the field, I prefer Johnson slightly.

This is a terrific young secondary though. Cromartie made big leaps in his development. I think we need to keep him around. Acker, Brock, Cromartie, and Johnson all could start, while Ward and Reaser are talented nickel CBs. They aren't stars right now, but it's exciting to see the flashes early in their careers. We really wouldn't even have to draft a corner right now. A safety perhaps, but not CB.
We are set in the secondary. A shutdown corner would be great but those are hard to find. We need a pass rusher and maybe middle linebacker but then again most teams don't have to delete middle linebackers we have one and an average at the other spot.
Cromartie comes from a family of DB's so it's not a complete surprise to see him play well. Him and DJ just need more playtime. They both seem natural out there. Acker has gotten better as the season has progressed and he's been asked to cover some top flight receivers in what's essentially his rookie season. Ward has held his own in the slot and is just a sure tackler (he made the initial stop before DJ made the play in the end zone). Guys are usually stopped in their tracks if they manage to catch the ball in Ward's vicinity. Hes also a natural FS so he slide up there if need be. Reaser can match up with speedy wr's. There's some versatility here and I think Tartt is the hard hitting SS, with speed nonetheless, they've longed for quite awhile.
Share 49ersWebzone