LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 311 users in the forums

49ers Secondary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Who do you guys think will be the two starters?

Will Ward be the Nickle starter?

Where's D.Johnson going to play?

Will Tarrt be the starter when Beatha leaves?

Will the CBs coming back from injuries going to make an impact?

Will we miss Cox and Cully?
Starters will be Brock and wright on the outside due to contracts....ward in the nickel.

Would love DJ to win the other spot on the outside over wright though.

Reaser was working in the slot at OTAs I have high hopes for him as well.

Tartt should be the replacement but that's not happing for at least another season...he will take on a role similar to Bucannon in zona. He will see plenty of action this season IMO.

I hope Acker and Reaser are both on the active roster because no way they make it on PS....BOTH have some great potential.

I will miss cully more than cox but as long as we have a stable at pass rush I feel confident in the secondary
Hopeful, but depressing thread.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
i do not feel that way at all,,, got brock back, lot of young kids who were drafted for this type of situation, we have a really good secondary coach, got guys back like ward who were hurt and should be a year smarter . cook was very good before he got hurt, possible change of scenery for wright. how can you not be excited about this area of our team?
  • mr_P
Dontae Johnson will be a starter. No way in hell Wright beats him out.

Explain? We lost a career backup and a cb with off field issues...
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:

Will the CBs coming back p going to make an impact?

[ Edited by InsertNameHere on May 25, 2015 at 10:56 AM ]
This is the same tone that we had last year with all of these "questions" if you don't know by now that the media reports are rooted in story, popularity and not facts then you'll rest easier at night.

with a secondary that was banged up and no real pass rush we led the league in interceptions.

we have a healthy reid and antoine that's a top 5 safety duo in the NFL period.

I believe Johnson will show enough to win the starting job on the other side of Brock.
Wright and Ward as Nickel Tartt as Dime/Ilb cover role.

Cook looked good before he got injured and the other guys will contribute and especially on special teams.

and then add in the fact that the pass rush might actually crush teams this year i think our defense is already underrated. we will be one of the best in the league.

Mangini has always had a great defensive mind just not great defensive talent to go with it. Now he does.
I'm very hopeful as Brock and Johnson can start and do well but they have four or five other guys who can step in and play adequately. With the number of injuries the 9ers have had in the defensive backfield it would be good for Cook, Wright, Reaser and Acker to all be up to speed by the start of the season. Cromartie may be competing as well.

My guess is that Brock and Johnson will start with Wright and Cook being next up. If Reaser and/or Acker can beat any of these guys out...all the better!
Originally posted by mr_P:
Dontae Johnson will be a starter. No way in hell Wright beats him out.

That's what I was thinking too, but a lot of people think Wright will start because of his contract.

I'm pretty confident that if DJ plays better than Wright, he'll be the starter, along with Brock.

We will see...
That's what I was thinking too, but a lot of people think Wright will start because of his contract.

I'm pretty confident that if DJ plays better than Wright, he'll be the starter, along with Brock.

I agree...really don't think contracts mean much this year, or maybe ever, when it comes to starters. The coaches have a clean slate and can start the guys they see as fitting into their scheme best.
How many CBs did we carry last year?

Brock
DJ
Reid
Beatha
Wright
Ward
Tarrt
Cook
Acker
Reaser

Who else will make the team?
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Explain? We lost a career backup and a cb with off field issues...

Originally posted by cciowa:
i do not feel that way at all,,, got brock back, lot of young kids who were drafted for this type of situation, we have a really good secondary coach, got guys back like ward who were hurt and should be a year smarter . cook was very good before he got hurt, possible change of scenery for wright. how can you not be excited about this area of our team?

Lack of experience at CB. Brock has the most but only a handful of games as starter before he got injured. Wright has some experience with the Chargers but we don't really know if he's going to be any good with us. There seemed to be some talent within this group but we don't know how consistent they are. So hopeful that they will be consistent but depressing that we don't have 1 CB that we can say with confident that is stable and consistent going into the season.

I might be alone on this but I strongly believe Chris Cook has a legitimate shot at being a starter. He was above average last season before his injury.
Share 49ersWebzone