LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Coaching Styles: Harbaugh vs. Tomsula

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Tomsula has indicated that the discussion and disagreements between players and management over their contracts was between the players and the management.

Harbaugh would talk about which players should get paid and seemingly took sides in these disputes.

That is one difference that has surfaced.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
From the ESPN Off-Season Grade Thread:

Honestly I'm glad people are expecting us to suck. Let teams underprepare for us, let them not expect what is coming. No one is expecting us to be good, but I don't mind that at all. I see the team surprising a lot of people this year. Looking at the thread about ESPN's off-season grade for us, aside from the fact that off-season grades are meaningless and so often have zero success predicting anywhere near an accurate forecast of the upcoming season, the thought came to mind about what type of coaching styles Harbaugh and Tomsula employ.

Exhibit A: The Tomsula Brand of Football
If you read up on the style he likes to employ for his teams, is a blend of NASTY, SAVAGE, domination at the LOS on both sides of the ball, mixed with smart, logical game management. He believes his job is to recognize the opponents attack strategy, and counter. Tomsula's idea is simple: come up with a game plan, keep doing what is working on the field, and then shift when the opponent does. Keep doing what we're doing well, and adjust to compensate for the things we're not.

Exhibit B: The Harbaugh Brand of Football
For the most part, wanted us to simply "better execute" the plan already in place. That was my absolute biggest criticism. Too often running into brick walls when there was an obvious adjustment available that even us fans could see that would've helped us. Even when we won, I felt like the team played so far below its potential, it was very, very frustrating. On offense, I felt like we either got too conservative, or too cute. It seemed to so often be one extreme or the other. On defense, when we couldn't get pressure, we continued to only rush four and hope we could hang on. That "bend but don't break" tactic works some of the time, but it wore our team out late in the year. Our defense needed to put in more positions to make plays.

What are some specific -- I mean like play-call style, formation, strategic, etc. -- types of differences you expect in year one?

Fangio was the one who was conservative on defense. Not really Harbaugh.

Either way, I have always loved being the underdog
The team is completely different everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE. From the players to the coaches to the schemes. There won't be any game film on a Tomsula-style offense. There is no book out on Tomsula's gameday tactics. This gives us a slight advantage in itself. But back to the point of everything being different -- despite all the changes, I personally feel these have been mostly GOOD changes. The main bad ones being the retirements, but the depth and players we have in the rotation should help make up for that. Deep teams are championship teams. To me, the only question I have is the OL -- if that improves, then I fully expect this team to make the playoffs.

Snap Shot of The Off-Season Transactions So Far...

Key Losses:
LB Willis
LB Borland
LB Skuta
DL Justin Smith
WR Crabtree
WR Johnson
CB Culliver
CB Cox
RB Gore
OL Iupati
OL Jonathan Martin

Key Additions:
LB Harold
DL Armstead
DL Dockett
WR Torrey Smith
WR Smelter
CB Wright
RB Bush
OL Pears
TE Blake Bell

Wait is B.Lloyd still on the team? lol
This is not a detail item, but I think Harbaugh expected the players to adapt to his system much more than the system would adapt to the players. I think JT will be much more inclined to adapt the system to the players.

A little bit more specific difference I expect to see is that JT will substitute more than Harbaugh did. On the defensive line, I think there will be a lot of moving players around and bringing in fresh bodies - and then "bludgeon them!".
I give Harbaugh a lot of credit for helping us be winners again. That, we can't take away from him. But he didn't operate like Bill Walsh at all. We pretty much didn't see any of the things that we really hoped for. The mannerisms? The efforts to give players chances and PT? No. The WCO? Non-existent. We didn't have much of an identity other than being a power-scheme, I-formation team that eventually mutated into a confused power/shotgun/pistol-half-of-the-time/simplistic offense.

In a nutshell, we were a simple, power running offense who tried to use formation shifts to create confusion in order to give us more opportunities to make plays. Our primitive strategy like trying to spread the defense out when they stacked the box had so little depth to it, that it was easily exposed and became painfully predictable.

After 2 years, teams are going to recognize shifts. After 2 years, teams have already learned how to "adjust to your adjustment". We never kept teams off balance. Most of the time, it seemed our successful or "barely successful" games were when our players individually could outperform our opponents despite ineffective schemes and playcalls (hence a lot of close games). In the NFL, the best coached teams can often beat the ones with superior talent when they can attack your weaknesses properly. The Niners were barely beating bottom feeder teams. With a team that talented, it's hard not to say there had to be some coaching aspect holding them back.

Could not agree more. Just look at the checklist of issues they addressed in week 1 of camp already. They are literally, "checking off the boxes."

I can't express enough how significant that is. Not only to recognize your major flaws but address perfecting them right out of the gate and setting foundation.

Every fan in here including the SuicidePosters have and cab recognize the glaring and predictable issues we had under the HaRomanVic era.

These should be exciting times if you're a real fan of this team.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Could not agree more. Just look at the checklist of issues they addressed in week 1 of camp already. They are literally, "checking off the boxes."

I can't express enough how significant that is. Not only to recognize your major flaws but address perfecting them right out of the gate and setting foundation.

Every fan in here including the SuicidePosters have and cab recognize the glaring and predictable issues we had under the HaRomanVic era.

That's what I don't understand when it comes to the suicide posters. They, and all of us for that matter, had genuine complaints. And for the most part, all of them have been answered

Deep threat with speed------T.Smith
Using RB Screens------we signed probably the best RB for those, and the coaching staff has said they will use them.
Clock Management-----reports of JT yelling Tempo, Tempo and having the team break huddle with atleast 20 seconds.

Those were the three main issues and by all accounts they've been addressed.

Sure, we've lost some great players, but we've added some great ones too, plus having Aldon play all year and getting Bow back. I'm pretty hyped up for the season to start, we're gonna be fine.

I see a 10-6 team fighting for a playoff spot and the division title....
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:

That's what I don't understand when it comes to the suicide posters. They, and all of us for that matter, had genuine complaints. And for the most part, all of them have been answered

Using RB Screens------we signed probably the best RB for those, and the coaching staff has said they will use them.
Clock Management-----reports of JT yelling Tempo, Tempo and having the team break huddle with atleast 20 seconds.

Sure, we've lost some great players, but we've added some great ones too, plus having Aldon play all year and getting Bow back. I'm pretty hyped up for the season to start, we're gonna be fine.

Totally. And here is that checklist.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182394-what-single-important-change-youd-like-2015-49ers/page9/
The up-tempo practiced ended 30 minutes early due to the team's ability to run scripted plays in frequent succession; welcome back WCO!Up-tempo to run plays around 20-25 secondsMajor RZ focus (TE's, RB's and WR's involved)
Installing a ZBS
Installing more blitzes to confuse QB's
Tons of passes to the RB's alreadyCK passing to "check-downs" including T.Smith
Big-time focus on WR-specific drills to develop young WR's such as Patton (great day from all 3 WR positions) and Jacobs and got several contributions from the UDFA class
Several deep shots taken as well (VD, T.Smith, UDFA's, etc.)
Most ACL-guys back and looking great like Hunter, Jacobs, Thomas, Reaser, etc.
For the first time in ages, the media was allowed to roam around the practice fields and take copious notes all day long (subsequent interviews were also very good with positive exchanges

From NCommand

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182394-what-single-important-change-youd-like-2015-49ers/page9/
[ Edited by InsertNameHere on May 24, 2015 at 8:09 AM ]
The up-tempo practiced ended 30 minutes early due to the team's ability to run scripted plays in frequent succession; welcome back WCO!Up-tempo to run plays around 20-25 secondsMajor RZ focus (TE's, RB's and WR's involved)
Installing a ZBS
Big-time focus on WR-specific drills to develop young WR's such as Patton (great day from all 3 WR positions) and Jacobs and got several contributions from the UDFA class
For the first time in ages, the media was allowed to roam around the practice fields and take copious notes all day long (subsequent interviews were also very good with positive exchanges

From NCommand

Thank you for posting INH!
Installing a ZBS

From NCommand

Thank you for posting INH!
No problem buddy. After reading it, I felt that this was the perfect place for that post.

I don't necessarily agree having the press able to roam around being a positive.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
I don't necessarily agree having the press able to roam around being a positive.

for the fans it is.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jeepzilla:

Letting the press roam around may be positive or it may negative, but without a doubt letting the press roam around is different.

No problem buddy. After reading it, I felt that this was the perfect place for that post.

I agree! Thanks again.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Tomsula does not treat the press like enemy spies.
Share 49ersWebzone