LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 307 users in the forums

Why did the 49ers struggle so much against GB in the 90's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
Because they had Brett Favre and we had Jeff Garcia.

90s ?
[ Edited by cook80 on May 25, 2015 at 10:35 PM ]
Holmgren molded those teams to counter us. Go watch the "Catch II" GAME ON NFLN. Before TO catches the final TD, the Packers scored on a go ahead TD from Favre to Freeman. Favre says that he called a dummy audible bc he knew the Niners knew their plays so he made up a fake play to Freeman.

Holmgren designed that team to specifically match up and beat us...and we couldn't counter for some odd reason.
Because Kaepernick wasn't our QB...
Originally posted by cook80:
Holmgren molded those teams to counter us. Go watch the "Catch II" GAME ON NFLN. Before TO catches the final TD, the Packers scored on a go ahead TD from Favre to Freeman. Favre says that he called a dummy audible bc he knew the Niners knew their plays so he made up a fake play to Freeman.

Holmgren designed that team to specifically match up and beat us...and we couldn't counter for some odd reason.

Yea. Those guys were nobodies and Holmgren single handedly brought them to relevance using our system and I was pissed! Especially when they kept beating us with our ish! This is why I absolutely love beating their a$$es 4 games straight since Harbaugh arrived. I take every opportunity to rub each loss in their faces. Punks still running our ish and McCarthy fat a$$ is probably still in possession of copies of Walsh's 49er training videos. I got no love for GB at all!
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Because Kaepernick wasn't our QB...

I am so glad that we got one of their own as our QB and that he keep kicking their a$$es just to rub it in just like they did to us the last 2 decades prior to Jim getting here
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Yea. Those guys were nobodies and Holmgren single handedly brought them to relevance using our system and I was pissed! Especially when they kept beating us with our ish! This is why I absolutely love beating their a$$es 4 games straight since Harbaugh arrived. I take every opportunity to rub each loss in their faces. Punks still running our ish and McCarthy fat a$$ is probably still in possession of copies of Walsh's 49er training videos. I got no love for GB at all!

Yep. I respect the 90s Cowboys more bc they were just more physical and better equipped. The Packers were a mirror image. Their advantage was having a younger more unpredictable Favre as opposed to us having an orthodox west coast offense QB like Young. Oh and a lack of running game didn't help either.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Yep. I respect the 90s Cowboys more bc they were just more physical and better equipped. The Packers were a mirror image. Their advantage was having a younger more unpredictable Favre as opposed to us having an orthodox west coast offense QB like Young. Oh and a lack of running game didn't help either.

It's kinda crazy we played GB in 1990 and then didn't have a scheduled non playoff game with them until 1996. Would've been nice to play them early in holmgrens tenure to install a little doubt. Any of our 92-94 teams would've hammered those GB teams. We didn't get GB until the offense was fully installed and they had zero fear of us because of Holmgrens knowledge of our system. Granted they kicked out ass in the 1995 divisional game, but I think we were already thinking about the return trip to Dallas and the fourth straight conference title game.

In hindsight, I think we lost the 1995 title by blowing a 21-10 lead in Atlanta on Christmas Eve of 1995. We win that game we go 12-4, have homefield and do not have to play a really hot GB, that essentially has our playbook. 1995 was such an interesting team, at its peak it kicked the s**t out of Dallas in Dallas with a backup QB...at its worst it lost to an expansion team at the stick.
[ Edited by Niners816 on May 26, 2015 at 8:06 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
cuz we had adam walker at running back,, plus our defense had issues
Originally posted by jbeale49:
Dorsey f**kin Levins and Ahman F**king Green with a side of Antonio F**kin Freeman

Don't forget the Pedophile Mark Chumura TE.
Specifically, it was Fritz Shurmur's defense. His DBs made a living MUGGING receivers (like another team we all know and love) and the league just couldn't justify blowing a whistle every time.

Look at the 1995 playoff meltdown. Jerry Rice got abused. Hard. Our receivers got popped, and we just couldn't adjust. They played us like that every time...and it worked. Until 1998.

Gilbert Brown
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Specifically, it was Fritz Shurmur's defense. His DBs made a living MUGGING receivers (like another team we all know and love) and the league just couldn't justify blowing a whistle every time.

Look at the 1995 playoff meltdown. Jerry Rice got abused. Hard. Our receivers got popped, and we just couldn't adjust. They played us like that every time...and it worked. Until 1998.

They always got the lead early and always won the T/O battle.

1995: 21-0
1996: 6-0
1996: 21-0
1997: 10-0
1998: 16-0

Hell if memory serves me, the only time in this stretch that we held the lead until the '98 WC game was the Monday night game in 1996. I think we had a 17-6 lead at half.
[ Edited by Niners816 on May 26, 2015 at 10:22 AM ]
Awful officiating. I remember watching and hearing the calls and non-calls. Made the ravens/49ers Superbowl look well officiated. When they interviewed Steve Young mentioning the 49ers got away with the Jerry Rice fumble,,,,,his reply was "So what???!!" For years they got away with awful calls.
[ Edited by JimA49ers on May 26, 2015 at 11:45 AM ]
I think the main thing was was Holmgren and his knowledge on Young. He coached at BYU and from 87-91 with the niners.
Originally posted by Niners816:
They always got the lead early and always won the T/O battle.

1995: 21-0
1996: 6-0
1996: 21-0
1997: 10-0
1998: 16-0

Hell if memory serves me, the only time in this stretch that we held the lead until the '98 WC game was the Monday night game in 1996. I think we had a 17-6 lead at half.

You're right. We briefly tied the 1998 regular season game at 22-22 before a long TD to Freeman put the Packers up for good I think 36-22 was the final. I'll never forget Freeman scoring on the FIRST play of the game in that regular season match up on an 80 yard TD
Share 49ersWebzone