LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Why did the 49ers struggle so much against GB in the 90's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Running game.

When we had Watters in the early 90s we had a balanced attack. Defenses could not play just the passing game cuz Watters would torch them in the running game AND ESPECIALLY catching passes out of the backfield.

When Garrison Hearst was 100% we had a similar attack. I believe 100% that the 49ers would have won a 6th ring in 1998 if Hearst did not break his ankle against the Falcons in the playoffs.

Yup. This too!
Jim Mora Jr. Dude couldn't coordinate a D to save his life. WCO is predicated on timing. Fritz Shurmer knew this, jamming our WR's off the line and disrupting that timing. Favre faced zone D all day, the timing with his WR's was never disrupted as his receivers were never knocked around the LOS with solid press man to man, jam you at the line coverage. I hate GB. Not as much as I can't stand Mora Jr.

Dan
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Lack of a running game mostly. The Packers played the pass, dared the 49ers to run it, played timely defense...just a more well balanced unit on both sides of the ball.

This....and Mike Holmgren knowing our WCO inside and out and reigning in Favre. I think had Jerry stayed heathy for all of 1997 we would have rolled the league. It would have been the closest to one of my dream niner super teams ('98 offense combined with '97 defense).

In the series though 1995 & 1996 where primarily on lack of a run game. 1997, IMO was losing Jerry and therefore an explosive offense and by that time it was in our heads much like Dallas in '92 & '93.

As for best non SB 90s team, it's either '90 or '92 for me.

I'd rank our 90's squads like this:
1.) 1994
2.) 1990
3.) 1992
4.) 1991
5.) 1993
6.) 1995
7.) 1998
8.) 1997
9.) 1996
10.) 1999

How is our 97 team ranked 8th? Theres also no way our 1991 team was the 4th best. They went 10-6, and only had 3 pro bowl selections.
GB Defence in the 90`S... AND one big reason a few coaches came from SF
Originally posted by DASeiler49:
Jim Mora Jr. Dude couldn't coordinate a D to save his life. WCO is predicated on timing. Fritz Shurmer knew this, jamming our WR's off the line and disrupting that timing. Favre faced zone D all day, the timing with his WR's was never disrupted as his receivers were never knocked around the LOS with solid press man to man, jam you at the line coverage. I hate GB. Not as much as I can't stand Mora Jr.

Dan

mora was only the db coach during the late 90's. by the time he was our DC in 99 we werent threats in the nfc as we re-tooled for a couple of seasons. the DC's in those playoff games were pete carroll and john marshall.
[ Edited by crabman82 on May 23, 2015 at 12:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
How is our 97 team ranked 8th? Theres also no way our 1991 team was the 4th best. They went 10-6, and only had 3 pro bowl selections.

1991 gave up only 239 pts (only behind 1992 for the decade low). It's six loses were by 2,3,6,5,7 & 3. Finished the season 6-0 after a 4-6 start and was the hottest team in the league including eventual champ Washington. It's only sin was injury (Steve young missed 5 games) & and two bad losses to ATL. Had the 1991 team got in that would've been number 5. Basically, the down the stretch 1991 team was the precursor to the 92-94 run. When watters was added the offense went nuclear and we were pretty dominate (with the exception of the 1993 defense).

1997 strength of schedule was way down and the offense wasn't as good as the 1991 squad. 1991 scored more and gave up less with a tougher schedule.
[ Edited by Niners816 on May 23, 2015 at 1:26 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erFan816:
also Young wasn't as good from 95-97 as he was in 98 and 92-94. Led the league in completion % from 95-97 but just didn't throw a lot of TD's.

In fairness to Steve, he missed 5 games in 1995, 4 full and 2 partial parts of games in 1996. 1997 stats were a product of missing Jerry and trying to keep Steve healthy--he didn't even have 400 pass attempts in 1997.
because brett favre is a motherf**ker
Favre and Holmgren at the height of their powers.
Remember this bog Mo'Fo!?

We did not change our audible verbiage, and Holmgren knew it! This greatly helped the Green Bay defense, coupled with a lack of running game, and the fact that Farve was pretty damned good, it made for some tough losses.

Oh and the f**king Don Bebbe call, still pissed about that!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on May 23, 2015 at 4:29 PM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
We did not change our audible verbiage, and Holmgren knew it! This greatly helped the Green Bay defense, coupled with a lack of running game, and the fact that Farve was pretty damned good, it made for some tough losses.

Yeah...I still want to know how a guy trips over someone and doesn't touch them. If that call is correct we go 13-3 in '96, win the west, have homefield and Steve doesn't break his rib vs philly because we wouldnt have had to play a WC game.
[ Edited by Niners816 on May 23, 2015 at 4:44 PM ]
It woulda helped Immensely if the 49ers woulda DRAFTED well from 96-99 like Flop Israel Ifyani, Jim Drukenmiller, RW McNugget. Only T.O. to me stands out from the mid 90's draft picks that can atleast compete with the Pack. 49ers shoulda drafted 1st rounders along the OLINE, I remember I was POUTING for Flozell Adams in 98' and the 49ers selected RW McNugget. 49ers OLINE Got Beat by GBs DLINE and GBs WRS Destroyed SFs CBs. Not to mention their coaching absolutely Owned our coaching. It was SR vs Jr.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Yeah...I still want to know how a guy trips over someone and doesn't touch them. If that call is correct we go 13-3 in '96, win the west, have homefield and Steve doesn't break his rib vs philly because we wouldnt have had to play a WC game.

I attended that game and the stadium laughed at the replay knowing they stole that TD. More importantly had we deservedly won that game it would have possibly proven the playoff loss was a fluke and GB wouldn't have got into the 49ers head.
This....and Mike Holmgren knowing our WCO inside and out and reigning in Favre. I think had Jerry stayed heathy for all of 1997 we would have rolled the league. It would have been the closest to one of my dream niner super teams ('98 offense combined with '97 defense).

In the series though 1995 & 1996 where primarily on lack of a run game. 1997, IMO was losing Jerry and therefore an explosive offense and by that time it was in our heads much like Dallas in '92 & '93.

As for best non SB 90s team, it's either '90 or '92 for me.

I'd rank our 90's squads like this:
1.) 1994
2.) 1990
3.) 1992
4.) 1991
5.) 1993
6.) 1995
7.) 1998
8.) 1997
9.) 1996
10.) 1999

Even though the 94 team won the SB. I will still rank the 90 and 92 teams ahead of them because of how talented they were compared to the 92 squad. Especially defensively.
Share 49ersWebzone