LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Why did the 49ers struggle so much against GB in the 90's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm a huge student of the game and really became a fan of the 90's 49ers, and of course, Steve Young.

I was just a small child in the 90's, so I don't remember a lot from that period and didn't have a great knowledge of the game.

Why do you guys think the 49ers struggled with the Packers so much in the mid-90's?
Was it:

A. Lack of a running game
B. Poor calls by the referees (JJ Stokes being forced out, Don Beebe play, etc.)
C. Favre shredding our defense

And a side note, which 1990's -- outside of the Super Bowl winning team -- do you think was the best 49ers team?
because the packers used under-inflated balls.
They were a very good team. Well balanced, well coached and with a huge home field advantage. With Watters we could have stayed with them but when he took the money and ran we couldn't replace him until Garrison. Look at the line of backs we tried. It wasn't for want of trying.

Then the salary cap started biting deeper, we got unlucky (Young) and then you get into a downwards spiral.
On paper, it was the 1997 team.

That defense was insane. Chris Doleman, Bryant Young, Dana Stubblefield, Roy Barker, Ken Norton Jr., Gary Plummer, Lee Woodall, with Kevin Greene rotating in, Rod Woodson, Tim McDonald, Merton Hanks, Darnell Walker.

I swear, GB and Dallas have stolen like 5 SB's from us.
[ Edited by Niners99 on May 23, 2015 at 1:53 AM ]
I'm probably not the best to comment, but I would say Favre, he seemed to have our number, even when he went to Minnesota, he beat us on a last second pass in the endzone. Plus man Lambeau field was such a hard place to win IMO.
'90s*
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I'm probably not the best to comment, but I would say Favre, he seemed to have our number, even when he went to Minnesota, he beat us on a last second pass in the endzone. Plus man Lambeau field was such a hard place to win IMO.

It was all Favre. Its like he knew our defensive play calls.
Originally posted by Niners99:
On paper, it was the 1997 team.

That defense was insane. Chris Doleman, Bryant Young, Dana Stubblefield, Roy Barker, Ken Norton Jr., Gary Plummer, Lee Woodall, with Kevin Greene rotating in, Rod Woodson, Tim McDonald, Merton Hanks, Darnell Walker.

I swear, GB and Dallas have stolen like 5 SB's from us.

You can throw the Giants into the mix, especially, "there will be no 3peat".
I don't think it was Favre as much as it was their D beating our offenses ass. In part as mentioned above Watters would have been huge boost. Our D picked Favre frequently. Our O was ineffective.

White, Jones, Brown, Dotson were a ridiculous force

I acknowledge Favre did make huge plays but I believe other factors played bigger role.
The Main Reason GB rolled us in the 90s was because Holmgren Knew the 49ers Playbook/schemes Inside and Out. 49ers were just as talented NO DOUBT but Holmgren/Farve/Fritz Shermur DC knew how to attack the 49ers and for some UNGODLY reason, the 49ers could not cover Antonio Freeman. I feel the 49ers approached GB different like run at them the way the Cowgirls used to run on GB each time. All GB would do is play nickel and dime with Leroy Butler lined up in the box with no threat of running so Rice/Owens/Stokes each had to beat almost double coverage each play.

Lack of a running game mostly. The Packers played the pass, dared the 49ers to run it, played timely defense...just a more well balanced unit on both sides of the ball.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Lack of a running game mostly. The Packers played the pass, dared the 49ers to run it, played timely defense...just a more well balanced unit on both sides of the ball.

This....and Mike Holmgren knowing our WCO inside and out and reigning in Favre. I think had Jerry stayed heathy for all of 1997 we would have rolled the league. It would have been the closest to one of my dream niner super teams ('98 offense combined with '97 defense).

In the series though 1995 & 1996 where primarily on lack of a run game. 1997, IMO was losing Jerry and therefore an explosive offense and by that time it was in our heads much like Dallas in '92 & '93.

As for best non SB 90s team, it's either '90 or '92 for me.

I'd rank our 90's squads like this:
1.) 1994
2.) 1990
3.) 1992
4.) 1991
5.) 1993
6.) 1995
7.) 1998
8.) 1997
9.) 1996
10.) 1999
[ Edited by Niners816 on May 23, 2015 at 7:08 AM ]
Reggie White doling out his paycheck to fellow defensive players in his "Smash for Cash" bounty. Would not have gone over well in this era.
Plus "Adam Walker"
Because even if Fabre
Holmgren knew our plays and how to attack our offense. We also didn't have Ricky Watters, who was one of my favorite Niners, running the ball. Derek Loville was 2 or 3 yds and a cloud of dust.
Share 49ersWebzone