LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 320 users in the forums

The inevitable D+ poll: Do you agree?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The inevitable D+ poll: Do you agree?

ESPN gave us a D- in 2011 too. They said we lost too many players on defense and would probably "Suck for Luck".

That ended up being a damn near flawless off-season. The defense was awesome. Baalke won executive of the year. Just sayin'....
[ Edited by SofaKing on May 22, 2015 at 9:20 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
ESPN gave us a D- in 2011 too. That ended up being a damn near flawless off-season. Baalke won executive of the year. Just sayin'....

Drops the mic...

If health stays on our side (knock on wood), this team will surprise people. Still so early but all the news has been pretty positive about OTAs.

One thing that stands out is that after 3 years of clock management issues, having Staley say the thing about by game 6 or 7 of year 4 they were too far in to fix it last year was like WTF… glad to see these issues are finally being addressed.
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Drops the mic...

If health stays on our side (knock on wood), this team will surprise people. Still so early but all the news has been pretty positive about OTAs.

One thing that stands out is that after 3 years of clock management issues, having Staley say the thing about by game 6 or 7 of year 4 they were too far in to fix it last year was like WTF… glad to see these issues are finally being addressed.

Agree. People are expecting us to be a disaster. They're underestimating the talent still on the roster and the pieces we've added.

I really like what I'm hearing about the offense. Increased tempo, zone-blocking scheme, added speed at WR, incorporating the RBs in the passing game. It's like we're solving issues that have plagued us for years in one off-season.

We'll see if it translates to success on the field, but this coaching staff gets it.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Drops the mic...

Agree. People are expecting us to be a disaster. They're underestimating the talent still on the roster and the pieces we've added.

I really like what I'm hearing about the offense. Increased tempo, zone-blocking scheme, added speed at WR, incorporating the RBs in the passing game. It's like we're solving issues that have plagued us for years in one off-season.

We'll see if it translates to success on the field, but this coaching staff gets it.

Those last two paragraphs are spot on. I can picture in the interview with Tomsula Baalke asked what his plan was. JT provided a list identical to what thl408 noted in his poll. "Mr. Tomsula. You're hired!"
[ Edited by NCommand on May 22, 2015 at 9:53 PM ]
I agree that the media is dwelling on the negative impact of the departures. Sando is a hater, Guttierez as a reporter is horrible plain and simple. When you are reporting on a team, you need to know who the actual starters are and who filled in due to injury. Guttierez didn't even know that. I'm also happy to hear that Tomsula is preaching a more up tempo offense. I think we'll see a huge improvement in regards to delay penalties. I also like the zone blocking scheme and think this fits Hyde's running style perfectly. I'm excited to see Patton on the field making plays too. I liked him coming out and think he will surprise some people this year. Health, as with any team is going to be the issue. I have a feeling the offense will be vastly improved and I just hope the defense can still be in the top 10 with the departures there.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Love the hate.
When you lose a staff (at least on defense) that was considered one of the best in the game, then lose heart & soul players on both sides of the ball, then have a mundane (on paper) draft, a D+ might seem like a gift.

That said, it doesn't need to be a D+ season. We still have a lot of talent. Now it's all about Tomsula & Co working their ass off to confound the "experts" and "haters".

I'm looking forward to the season.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on May 23, 2015 at 7:48 AM ]
I think a D+ is very accurate. 49ers Lost A LOT of leadership and poduction. Gone Gore,Willis,Justin,Harbaugh,Cully and Fangio. That is atleast 3 to 4 wins right there. Now to make up those 4 wins just to stay 8-8, 49ers are gonna need these 2013,2014 and 2015 picks/FAs to step up but most of all the coaching staff BETTER be an upgrade or its House Cleaning time come December 2015 new GM new HC.
Who cares about TMZPN anyway? Bunch of trolls down there that only seek ratings...... by any means necessary
[ Edited by Jesu80ncleats on May 23, 2015 at 8:37 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I think a D+ is very accurate. 49ers Lost A LOT of leadership and poduction. Gone Gore,Willis,Justin,Harbaugh,Cully and Fangio. That is atleast 3 to 4 wins right there. Now to make up those 4 wins just to stay 8-8, 49ers are gonna need these 2013,2014 and 2015 picks/FAs to step up but most of all the coaching staff BETTER be an upgrade or its House Cleaning time come December 2015 new GM new HC.

Lost : Harbs stale and ancient "you get to call a play and you get to call a play and you get to call a play everybody gets to call a play" offense.

Gained : An offense that is not Harbs.

That is at least 3-4 wins right there.
[ Edited by KRS-1 on May 23, 2015 at 9:01 AM ]

Share 49ersWebzone