The inevitable D+ poll: Do you agree?

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by boast:
The first major salvo criticizing our off field moves since end of season. Is it justified?

where's the WHO THE F*CK CARES ABOUT OFFSEASON GRADES? WHEN HAVE THEY EVER WON A TEAM A SUPERBOWL? option?

Defensive much?

dwell on a irrelevant opinion much?

Opinion critical of fo = irrelevant
Opinion effusive of fo = relevant

Do I have that right?

no. making a poll about an ESPN grade. a grade that's irrelevant.

and then to make a poll about the poll you already posted is redundant. it's a discussion that can take place within that original thread.

i'm eagerly awaiting your next poll about this poll tho.
D plus seems kind. Docket, Reggie Bush, Torrey smith and a decent draft might put us over the f- mark and get us into f+ territory. We lost hof caliber players and a wildly successful coaching staff, even with Roman being a dip s**t. That being said, still excited for the season and seeing what these young guys can do. Remain pessimistic and everything good is a nice surprise :-) I blame kyle Williams for all of this nonsense.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Dude ESPN has turned into Fox News of sports. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in anything they say or print. Don't expect the SEC network to show the west coast a whole lot of even handed reporting.

and then to make a poll about the poll you already posted is redundant. it's a discussion that can take place within that original thread.

If ESPN gave us A+++ the zone would be all over that.

But they didn't.

So, there isn't one thing you would have the FO do differently this offseason.

Not a single thing.

Everything is absolutely the best it could possibly be. Can't be improved. Not one thing.
The first major salvo criticizing our off field moves since end of season. Is it justified?

where's the WHO THE F*CK CARES ABOUT OFFSEASON GRADES? WHEN HAVE THEY EVER WON A TEAM A SUPERBOWL? option?

Defensive much?

dwell on a irrelevant opinion much?

Opinion critical of fo = irrelevant
Opinion effusive of fo = relevant

Do I have that right?

Originally posted by Geeked:
Dude ESPN has turned into MSNBC of sports. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in anything they say or print. Don't expect the SEC network to show the west coast a whole lot of even handed reporting.
Fixed
  • REB4

Well if it were an isolated case, then you can claim bias. Sando is a homer, and Gutierrez may be a former Raiders fan, but at least he tries hard to be an unbiased realist. But when you also look at PFFs depth chart rankings & draft grades, and it's ALL about the numbers there, you also see that they don't think much of this supposed abundance of talent the fanboys seem to think we have. You start combining the EMPIRICAL DATA of PFF and you combine it with the "eyeball" subjective analysis of the Sando's of ESPN, NFL Network, Sports Illustrated etc. then it's got to be YOU that is biased in your opinion of how great this team supposedly is.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by REB4:

Well if it were an isolated case, then you can claim bias. Sando is a homer, and Gutierrez may be a former Raiders fan, but at least he tries hard to be an unbiased realist. But when you also look at PFFs depth chart rankings & draft grades, and it's ALL about the numbers there, you also see that they don't think much of this supposed abundance of talent the fanboys seem to think we have. You start combining the EMPIRICAL DATA of PFF and you combine it with the "eyeball" subjective analysis of the Sando's of ESPN, NFL Network, Sports Illustrated etc. then it's got to be YOU that is biased in your opinion of how great this team supposedly is.

link me to where i said how great this team is?

and while you're at it, show me the offseason grades of the past decade of Super Bowl champs. (empirical data, yo!)

it's like the Detroit Lions going 4-0 in a preseason and then 0-16 in the regular season. empirical eyeball data yo!
  • REB4

and while you're at it, show me the offseason grades of the past decade of Super Bowl champs. (empirical data, yo!)

it's like the Detroit Lions going 4-0 in a preseason and then 0-16 in the regular season. empirical eyeball data yo!

PFF, is all about empirical data. Just join and scan at your leisure and u will find every angle of information you could ever possibly dream of. It's amath lover's paradise. The information you are asking for is ALL there. Don't be lazy now. But the point was that now you can combine empirical data with the traditional anecdotal data that analysts/experts/journalists/scouts throw out there and you can plainly see that it's not just about Sando "hating".
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Didn't Gutierrez / Sando write that? Sando is a known Niner hater so anything he write comes with a grain of salt. What I find interesting is they keep talking about the players that left and how they didn't like our draft, all the while failing to realize that we addressed those issues 1-2 years ago. I get the casual fan that doesn't know this but these people are paid to know this s**t. There wasn't anyone in the draft, outside of maybe Kevin White, that would start on our team this season. I'm of the opinion that if your drafting for multiple immediate needs you're FO is not doing a good job.

That's true. But sometimes immediate needs arise. And they should be addressed?

Yup. Like Eric Reid!

• REB4
BTW, wasn't originally directed at you Boast, was just the general comments of people here saying it's just Sando hating, which he normally is.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yup. Like Eric Reid!

Yes! Why couldn't we do that last year (beef on DL and CB -- a real CB) and this year (ILB + CB).
Originally posted by REB4:

It's not just mediocre or bad grades. Talkin the worst.

We were the only team to get a (possibly irrelevant, but nonetheless ostentatious) D+.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yup. Like Eric Reid!

Yes! Why couldn't we do that last year (beef on DL and CB -- a real CB) and this year (ILB + CB).

Did we have any glaring needs like this after Goldson and Whitner and Rogers left? Baalke also brought in Antoine Bethea. Genius move.

Last year: Our CB's-by-committee (Culliver-ACL, Cox-Formally cut, Ward-Hurt, Acker/Reaser-Hurt, Johnson-Raw 4th-rounder, McFadden-Street, Cromartie-Street, etc.) ended the year top 5 and #1 in TO's so one could reasonably conclude that our DL was actually pretty darn good? And who played NT? Not Dorsey...down...Not Williams...down...but a rookie named, Dial, who had to play and did terrific even at 6'6"! And who filled in very well for Justin Smith at the end of the year? Carradine. So it looked like, in hindsight, CB and DL was addressed just fine last year.

This year: You wanted ILB and CB. We'll have to wait to see how it plays out and hopefully (for us fans) that it turns out like it did last year!
[ Edited by NCommand on May 22, 2015 at 12:36 PM ]
ESPN is right. We've had a terrible offseason on paper. We've lost HOF talent on both sides of the field and our draft was mediocre. I still have hope that this team will pull together under Tomsula and that Kaep will have a surprisingly big season to lead us into a wild card spot but objectively we had a bad offseason.
Share 49ersWebzone