LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Karma's 53 plus 10

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Good stuff!

We already have a thread devoted to this (not to be THAT guy): http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182289-post-draft-man-depth-chart/page8/

My post is #116.

Sorry! I didn't look around much before I posted. If the mods want to merge, I am cool with that.

No worries. Good stuff!
One thing that I'm kind of over is the comparisons between Jarryd Hayne and Lawrence Okeye, something I've been wanting to point out for a while.

In football terms, it's like comparing chalk and cheese. Sure, coming in to the NFL they both are/were starting from scratch with zero experience. The big difference is, Hayne was/is an absolute superstar on the rugby field, where Okeye by comparison was a nobody. He didn't win any awards, let alone player of the year awards for his ability in rugby as far as I'm aware. Hayne has two awards as the best player in the game. Okeye wasn't an elite rugby player, Hayne was. There are certain innate qualities that Hayne brings to the table that Okeye doesn't, because he just isn't at the same standard as a footballer as Hayne.

In saying that, I'm sure Hayne doesn't make the roster as a RB, but I'm convinced he has a red hot chance at making the roster for his punt and kickoff return capabilities.
[ Edited by Zealot on May 23, 2015 at 6:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Zealot:
One thing that I'm kind of over is the comparisons between Jarryd Hayne and Lawrence Okeye, something I've been wanting to point out for a while.

In football terms, it's like comparing chalk and cheese. Sure, coming in to the NFL they both are/were starting from scratch with zero experience. The big difference is, Hayne was/is an absolute superstar on the rugby field, where Okeye by comparison was a nobody. He didn't win any awards, let alone player of the year awards for his ability in rugby as far as I'm aware. Hayne has two awards as the best player in the game. Okeye wasn't an elite rugby player, Hayne was. There are certain innate qualities that Hayne brings to the table that Okeye doesn't, because he just isn't at the same standard as a footballer as Hayne.

In saying that, I'm sure Hayne doesn't make the roster as a RB, but I'm convinced he has a red hot chance at making the roster for his punt and kickoff return capabilities.

And DL is much harder to transition to as well. Hayne can actually contribute right away at returner and 3rd down pass catching back or develop on the PS squad for a year without us having to worry too much about him being picked up. Or go the Okoye-route and go on the PUP list with a late pre season injury.
  • cools
  • Veteran
yep,were going to have alot of late august injuries

Hayne, Both Anderson's, Pinion, maybe a couple of the CB's
Originally posted by Zealot:

I agree that Hayne is a better athlete, and has better accolades, but I don't feel comfortable with a Rugby player turned NFL player, who's never played football returning Kicks and Punts, I rather Ellington, Bush or someone with real experience handling those situations. And not Hayne. I just can't see Hayne making the team, not at RB, as Bush, Davis, Hunter, and Hyde are all above him, and better than him. And at KR/PR, he has no experience doing it. I rather have someone like Bush doing it, as I'm less afraid of seeing bush back there then seeing Hayne back there, would feel like Kyle Williams all over again, where at least Williams played college football, where Hayne has never played a down. At best Hayne is a ST player, on kick uni, or coverage unit, he shouldn't see action as a RB or Returner, he should IMO be on the practice squad in 2015, because if you keep Hayne at the expense of someone who can help more, than that is a bad move, and looks like a PR stunt to get more people talking because we have Hayne, a rugby all star on the team.
I was going to ask who would be our KR. Guys that will make the team...Ellington, Bush? Didn't they guarantee Hayne something?
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Not bad Karma.

Couple thing I would do differently.

Drop Looney, I don't see value in him anymore, keep Brown or Farrrell(He is a better Center than Looney is).

Drop Simpson, keep Dres Anderson or DeAndrew White(We gave a lot of guaranteed money to the 5 UDFA WRs, one of them should make it over Simpson).

Also who do u project, Lee or Pinion, who stays? Who is cut?

As for the PS, I think White is more likely due to the guaranteed money we gave him, $32K, compared to just $3K for Davis. Also I expect Whitehead to make the PS, he got $15K gtd. Also Marcus Rush, who got $10K gtd.

Another thing is DL, if we cut Okoye, which may be likely, we lose out on $68K we guaranteed to him as a reserve/future signing. I think he needs to make it over Jerod-Eddie, who I have no faith in, and if he ends up winning a starting DE spot, then we are screwed, as this shows Tank isn't developing, and Armstead isn't ready yet(Which he probably isnt anyway).

Good job but I agree with AB81 on these things.
  • kaynj
  • Veteran
Really good post. I agree with 92% of your roster.

I think Millard and Carrier are battling for a spot. Only one of them make the squad I believe.

Looney will lose his spot to Brown or Silberman

Kenneth Acker makes the team as the sixth cb.
Originally posted by kaynj:

I think Millard and Carrier are battling for a spot. Only one of them make the squad I believe.

I will be surprised if they cut Carrier, he received a 2yr extension, with a $400K bonus.

I think both make it Millard is valuable, and no one knows if Miller sticks long term, who knows Millard may end being the better FB.
  • kaynj
  • Veteran

I will be surprised if they cut Carrier, he received a 2yr extension, with a $400K bonus.

I think both make it Millard is valuable, and no one knows if Miller sticks long term, who knows Millard may end being the better FB.

If both stay then that probably means the niners keep only 5 cornerbacks which I could easily see but I believe Acker has more potential then Carrier. I believe Millard makes the 53.
As for the money issue and the same can be said for Dial. I think when making the best 53 you don't compensate the strength of the roster based upon how much money and individual makes. In some cases yes but I don't think they will in this case. Acker probable makes the 53 without that injury last season and Carrier doesn't even see the field or the top 53 without the injuries last season.

Nice roster breakdown, Karma. Not much to argue with, most of the roster is set. Only need to figure out the end of the roster.

I think McDonald and Looney are VERY close to the chopping block, especially considering how many players the 49ers brought in to compete at their spots. If they faceplant in TC and pre-season a la A.J. Jenkins, they'll be gone.

5 ILBs would be too many for me. We want depth, but I'm not excited about any of the players outside of the starters. I think we could drop one player here, and keep a better one at another position.

Hopefully one of Silberman or Brown makes the team, as well as one UDFA WR.

I know we'll all cringe, but I think Dahl will stick for one last year.
If both stay then that probably means the niners keep only 5 cornerbacks which I could easily see but I believe Acker has more potential then Carrier. I believe Millard makes the 53.
As for the money issue and the same can be said for Dial. I think when making the best 53 you don't compensate the strength of the roster based upon how much money and individual makes. In some cases yes but I don't think they will in this case. Acker probable makes the 53 without that injury last season and Carrier doesn't even see the field or the top 53 without the injuries last season.

I realize that you shouldn't make decisions soley on money, it happens a lot in the NFL. I don't think they gave Carrier a 2yr extension and a $400k signing bonus to just release him a few months later, makes no sense, when they have minimal dead money with someone else released.
I agree that Hayne is a better athlete, and has better accolades, but I don't feel comfortable with a Rugby player turned NFL player, who's never played football returning Kicks and Punts, I rather Ellington, Bush or someone with real experience handling those situations. And not Hayne. I just can't see Hayne making the team, not at RB, as Bush, Davis, Hunter, and Hyde are all above him, and better than him. And at KR/PR, he has no experience doing it. I rather have someone like Bush doing it, as I'm less afraid of seeing bush back there then seeing Hayne back there, would feel like Kyle Williams all over again, where at least Williams played college football, where Hayne has never played a down. At best Hayne is a ST player, on kick uni, or coverage unit, he shouldn't see action as a RB or Returner, he should IMO be on the practice squad in 2015, because if you keep Hayne at the expense of someone who can help more, than that is a bad move, and looks like a PR stunt to get more people talking because we have Hayne, a rugby all star on the team.

That's fair enough and I agree for the most part. I was never thinking Hayne would be ahead of any of the teams RB's. He would be looking for tips and advice from even Davis when talking RB.

I was thinking that since the KR/PR role is one of the most comparable (whilst not identical) aspects of the two games, and Jarryd Hayne just so happens to be both highly experienced and talented in that area, it may translate into a roster spot, provided he shows he can handle it in training and pre-season.

The main point of my post was to say that there is Hayne, then a lot of daylight, then Okoye, when talking about rugby converts to NFL and their track record and talent.

I doubt the 9ers put Hayne in as a PR stunt. The organisation seems to be about winning and Coach Tomsula, whilst very affable, seems also to be very no nonsense when it comes down to team performance. He doesn't want to settle for second best. I'm not sure who has final say on the roster for an NFL team, but if it's Tomsula, I think Hayne will need to fight for and win a spot entirely on merit.
[ Edited by Zealot on May 23, 2015 at 5:35 PM ]
  • kaynj
  • Veteran
I realize that you shouldn't make decisions soley on money, it happens a lot in the NFL. I don't think they gave Carrier a 2yr extension and a $400k signing bonus to just release him a few months later, makes no sense, when they have minimal dead money with someone else released.

I do like Carrier and feels he has a lot of potential and would love for the niners to keep him but if it comes down to top 53 he needs not to make it unless injury plays a factor. If the niners were so confident in his ability why have 8 te's in training camp. Clearly they are looking for the top three and if it isn't Carrier they won't hesitate to cut him and just pay him what he's owed. If Carrier gets a ton of reps in pre season games he may be on the chopping block.
Mods can combine later!

So, for now...

Starters - Rookie - (Injured Reserve/Backup)

Offensive Personnel: (25) (23 last year)
(2) QB: Colin Kaepernick; Blaine Gabbert (Blake Bell)
(2) Notes: -1 – Last year we kept 3 QB's in Kaepernick, Gabbert & Johnson

(2) RB1: Carlos Hyde; Mike Davis
(2) RB2: Reggie Bush/Kendall Hunter
(4) Notes: +1 – Last year we kept 3 RB's in Gore, Hyde & James

(1) H-Back: Derek Carrier
(3) TE: Vernon Davis/Vance McDonald; Blake Bell
(4) Notes: +1 – Last year we kept 3 TE's in Davis, McDonald & Carrier

(2) FB: Bruce Miller; Trey Millard
(2) Notes: +1 – Last year we kept 1 FB in Miller

(1) X WR: Anquan Boldin; (DeAndre Smelter)
(2) Y WR (SLOT): Bruce Ellington; Darius Davis
(3) Z WR: Torrey Smith; Jerome Simpson & Quinton Patton
(6) Notes: Even – Last year we kept 6 WR's in Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd, Patton & Ellington

(2) LOT: Joe Staley; Erik Pears
(1) ROT: Anthony Davis
(2) LG: Brandon Thomas; Joe Looney
(2) RG: Alex Boone; Trenton Brown
(2) C: Marcus Martin; Daniel Kilgore
(9) Notes: Even – Last year we kept 9 OL's in Staley, Iupati, Kilgore, Boone, Looney, J.Martin, Davis, Farrell & M.Martin

Defensive Personnel: (25) (27 last year)
(3) RDE: Tank Carradine/Arik Armstead; Lawrence Okoye
(2) NT: Glenn Dorsey/Ian Williams
(2) LDE: Quinton Dial/Darnell Dockett
(7) Notes: -1 – Last year we kept 8 DL's in Smith, McDonald, Carradine, Jerod-Eddie, Dial, Dobbs & Dorsey

(2) WILL: Aldon Smith/Eli Harold
(2) SAM: Ahmad Brooks/Aaron Lynch
(2) TED: Michael Wilhoite; Philip Wheeler
(2) MIKE: Navarro Bowman; Nick Bellore
(8) Notes: -1 – Last year we kept 9 LB's in Smith, Brooks, Willis, Wilhoite, Skuta, Lemonier, Borland, Moody & Lynch

(3) RCB: Dontae Johnson; Chris Cook & Kenneth Acker
(2) LCB: Tramaine Brock; Shareece Wright
(2) SLOT: Jimmie Ward; Keith Reaser
(7) Notes: +1 – Last year we kept 6 CB's in Culliver, Brock, Ward, Cook, Cox & Johnson

(1) FS: Eric Reid
(1) SS: Antoine Bethea
(1) NICKLE/DIME (SS/ILB): Jaquiski Tartt
(3) Notes: -1 – Last year we kept 4 S's in Bethea, Reid, McCray & Dahl

Special Teams: (3)
(1) LS: Kyle Nelson
(1) PK: Phil Dawson; (Bradley Pinion)
(1) P: Bradley Pinion
(3) Notes: Even – Last year we kept 3 ST's in Dawson, Lee & Nelson

PR/KOR: Bruce Ellington/Reggie Bush; Kendall Hunter & Darius Davis

Injured Reserved:
X WR DeAndre Smelter

Tough cuts: (Offense) Dillon Farrell & Jarryd Haynes (Defense) Tony Jerod-Eddie, Nick Moody, LJ McCray & Shane Skov and (Special Teams) Andy Lee
[ Edited by NCommand on May 25, 2015 at 8:05 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone