LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Was watching some old games to get feel for the new coaching staff

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I watched some Jets games from when Eric Mangini was the head coach.

2 things:

1) He tends to blitz a lot defensively.
2) He has lost a tremendous amount of weight from when he was a HC.

I watched the 2001 AFC Champ game between NE & PIT to get a feel for how Tim Lewis coaches the secondary.

1) NE's secondary, coached by Mangini was outstanding in this game, and they blitzed a lot, confusing the **** out of an athletic, running QB (Stewart).

2) Couldn't remember if they played man or zone.

If you remember the 49ers/Cardinals games from Nolan/Singletary error (era), they played the 49ers aggressively (Pendergast).

Next, I will look at some old Cowboys/Dolphins games to get a feel for Tony Sparano's blocking scheme and some late 90s Chargers/Cardinals games to get a feel for Chryst.

• thl408
Nice. How are you watching Mangini's Jets? I'd like to see as well. I'm surprised that you say he blitzes a lot.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by FL9er:

2 things:

I watched the 2001 AFC Champ game between NE & PIT to get a feel for how Tim Lewis coaches the secondary.

1) NE's secondary, coached by Mangini was outstanding in this game, and they blitzed a lot, confusing the **** out of an athletic, running QB (Stewart).

If you remember the 49ers/Cardinals games from Nolan/Singletary error (era), they played the 49ers aggressively (Pendergast).

Next, I will look at some old Cowboys/Dolphins games to get a feel for Tony Sparano's blocking scheme and some late 90s Chargers/Cardinals games to get a feel for Chryst.

lol Im sure that wasn't hard to do.
Originally posted by FL9er:

2 things:

Absolutely terrific! I've been waiting for someone to do this since the promotions. Geep would be another (uses RB's in the passing game a lot, short passing game, crossing routes, more vertical, etc.?). Great stuff...give as many details as you can and pass along the info/links to thl408 so he and others can help break it down (possibly) to help set up more realistic expectations on offense and defense for the start of this new era.
I'm sure you can find some Tomsula coached games on youtube for NFL Europe games.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I'm sure you can find some Tomsula coached games on youtube for NFL Europe games.

I hope/think he will do fine!
Originally posted by jeepzilla:

I hope/think he will do fine!

Actually, yeah that's a great idea too b/c Logan was the OC/QB coach, right? I wonder if the NFC West coaches (staff) are hunting and scrambling to get a beat on what to expect too.
is NFL ok ?
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011010214/2010/REG17/cardinals@49ers#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A09000d5d81d69085&tab=videos
Watching old games could give a little bit of insight, but a lot of that has to do with the personnel they had at the time. Great coaches adjust things to fit the talent they have. They also grow in their experience each year,
Here is some footage of Rhein Fire when Tomsula coached them in 2006.

[ Edited by Since07 on May 20, 2015 at 11:27 PM ]

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Rebuttal:

Watched a few Giants games from pre Super Bowl Eli (when he was regarded as a Kaep/Alex Smith level QB) back when Tim Lewis was DC.

1) Their defense wasn't very good despite having a very strong DL (Strahan, Joseph, Coefield, Osi, Tuck).

2) The secondary was atrocious, but to be fair, RW McQuarters was getting significant run.

3) Because of the bad secondary their coverage schemes were limited.

RE: Mangini

1) Statistically the Patriots defense wasn't very good, but they were very good their last 7-8 games (including playoffs).

2) How much of that was Mangini vs Belichick?
[ Edited by FL9er on May 21, 2015 at 12:46 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone