LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Terrell Owens Thread: Hall of Fame?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Terrell Owens Thread: Hall of Fame?

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1129429-10-biggest-locker-room-cancers-in-nfl-history

http://www.thesportster.com/football/top-15-locker-room-cancers-in-nfl-history/?view=all

http://www.therichest.com/sports/top-20-locker-room-cancers-in-sports/?view=all

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/rosenblog/2009/03/terrell-owens-is-the-wrost-teammate-you-can-imagine-and-better-than-any-bears-receiver.html

Why are you linking me to fan-written articles regurgitating the exact BS I just disproved?
Originally posted by crake49:
No way. Nobody had Jerry Rice's work ethic. And I'm not sure why you think he was a whiner or a diva. I never saw him complain about anything and I saw every single game he ever played as a Niner. He was always among the first to celebrate with JT when Taylor caught a TD pass.

Jerry Rice had a reputation as a whiner. Walsh even commented on it during the '91 49ers/Chiefs game when he was doing color for NBC.

Here's another article from 1998, detailing how Rice was known for complaining to coaches about not getting the ball, while Owens was the opposite.

http://www.si.com/vault/1998/12/14/253237/tip-top-tandem-move-over-jerry-rice-wideouts-terrell-owens-left-and-jj-stokes-of-the-49ers-have-gotten-their-games-in-gear-no-wonder-san-franciscos-offense-remains-on-a-roll
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I think you're crazy if you post an essay trying to prove that TO never had a negative impact on a team.

Do you actually have an argument or are you just dedicated to your delusion?
Originally posted by Handlesit:
Look, I like TO (and he should be in the HOF, but he's going to have to wait), but to blame Mooch and say that everything TO did wrong is normal because other people did it too, is just dumb. All you have to do, is look at the fact that none of the teams that TO played with wanted him back. That is the most telling TO fact.

This just isn't true.

The 49ers re-signed Owens to a then-record signing bonus in 1999.

The Cowboys had an option after the 2006 season to bring him back. The whole media said they wouldn't after trying their damndest to create controversy the entire year. But the Cowboys brought him back anyway.
Originally posted by Jimbutsu:
Originally posted by cciowa:
oh but it does to the voting people. they ask themselves if they would ever want owens on their team and the answer is no. he created a divided house everywhere he went. it was always the fault of someone else. to me, classy wide outs like gene washington and john taylor put him to shame. he is a disgrace

Do you have any proof of him creating a "divided house?" Or is this just you regurgitating what Skip Bayless and other media idiots say?

Regardless, where is the evidence that he ever had any negative impact on the team results?

In 2000, the first year anyone had a bad word to say about him (because of the star celebrations), the 49ers were coming off a 4-12 record from the year before after Young went down for the count. They went 6-10. They had a piss-poor defense. Owens, on the other hand, had 97 catches for 1451 yards and 13 touchdowns in 14 games. I fail to see how he hurt the team here.

In 2001, the 49ers went 12-4 and lost to the Packers in the playoffs. The 49ers were not even expected to make the playoffs this soon after they had started rebuilding. Owens had 93 catches for 1412 yards and 16 touchdowns. Again, how was he making the team worse here?

In 2002, the 49ers went 10-6, won the division, Owens caught 100 passes for 1300 yards and 13 touchdowns, they beat the Giants in the playoffs, 39-38, with Owens catching 9 passes for 177 yards and 2 touchdowns (and even throwing a pass for 25 yards). Were the 49ers supposed to go further that year than losing to the Super Bowl champion Bucs in the divisional round of the playoffs? Why? Because they drafted Mike Rumph?

In 2003, the 49ers went 7-9. Was this Owens's fault? Did he make Cedrick Wilson not go down and call time out against the Rams in week 2? Did he allow the Bengals to kill the defense in edging them in a shootout? Was he missing field goals?

In 2004, the Eagles went 13-1 before Owens broke his leg. He returned in the Super Bowl and caught 9 passes for 122 yards. Was he the reason they didn't win the Super Bowl? How many rings did the Eagles win before Owens got there? How many after? How many in their franchise history.

In 2005, the Eagles were 4-3 before they deactivated Owens. They deactivated Owens and went 6-10. Looks like they were better with him than without him.

In 2006, the Cowboys were coming off a 9-7 season. They went 9-7 again, but made the playoffs this time and lost to the Seahawks on a botched hold by Tony Romo for what would've been a field goal to take the lead late in the game. Let's pretend Owens wasn't signed. Were the Cowboys going to get tons of hype heading into 2006 with Drew Bledsoe at QB throwing to Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn, coming off a 9-7 season? Why? Because they added Akin Ayodele and Bobby Carpenter?

In 2007, the Cowboys went 13-2 before Owens sprained his ankle. He caught 81 passes for 1355 yards and 15 touchdowns. He returned in the postseason and caught a touchdown, and they narrowly lost to the eventual Super Bowl winning Giants. Romo threw a game ending interception...intended for.....Patrick Crayton. Owens's fault?

In 2008, the Cowboys were getting hyped by the media, but why? Because they added Pacman Jones and Tank Johnson? If Owens had gone down for the year in preseason, would anyone have thought they were still Super Bowl favorites? And when Romo went down with the broken finger? They went 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

That's the thing about this intangible BS. You can just make up anything you want and never have to support it with any facts. "This team was divided/distracted because of Terrell Owens. He hurt the team. They should've won more." And this is based on absolutely nothing. There is absolutely no way to tie anything Owens supposedly said or did to what happened on the football field, beyond the plays he made or didn't make in games.

And people act like the media asking the team a bunch of questions in post-game press conferences means that's what they're doing on the practice field and during games or something. "White 90...white 90...set...we win as a team, we lose as a team, it is what it is.....hut"

The Panthers just went 15-1 and lost the Super Bowl. I'll just say that it's because Luke Kuechly divided the locker room. They should've won the Super Bowl, but they didn't. You can't prove me wrong.

Very well said and written, you made some good points. There will always be Owens haters, its just dissapointing how many of them are 49ers fans. He's done so much for the organization in a positive way but all they see is the negative.
Originally posted by Jimbutsu:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1129429-10-biggest-locker-room-cancers-in-nfl-history

http://www.thesportster.com/football/top-15-locker-room-cancers-in-nfl-history/?view=all

http://www.therichest.com/sports/top-20-locker-room-cancers-in-sports/?view=all

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/rosenblog/2009/03/terrell-owens-is-the-wrost-teammate-you-can-imagine-and-better-than-any-bears-receiver.html

Why are you linking me to fan-written articles regurgitating the exact BS I just disproved?
and you are ?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
I just fully believe that had TO been with the team during the Rice's era, and Dallas ended up drafting Jerry in 1985, it will be TO'S records that everyone will be chasing..

no doubt that the leadership of the team all around, woulda kept the guy's mind more focus on the game..

No way. Nobody had Jerry Rice's work ethic. And I'm not sure why you think he was a whiner or a diva. I never saw him complain about anything and I saw every single game he ever played as a Niner. He was always among the first to celebrate with JT when Taylor caught a TD pass.

YOU NEVER SAW JERRY COMPLAINED???? ARE YOU SERIOUS BRO??

ANYONE HERE NEVER SAW JERRY COMPLAINED????

3 games come quickly to my mind.

1) Rams at Anaheim: The game was way over, but since Steve Young couldn't get the ball to Jerry, the team ended up putting the 1st team back only throw a long TD to Jerry Rice on a simple Go pattern.

2) After losing to the Bears on a close (10-9) MNF game back in 87 I believe, Jerry went to the media stating that " I guess I'm now a blocking receiver cause that's all I was used this evening" ..

3) with Oakland, with Tim Brown having more reception on a game where they were losing, Jerry Rice went berzerk in the sideline and cursed out their OC to get him the "f**ckin ball"...

.... and JERRY RICE would have never gone close to his records now if he was drafted by Dallas in 1985.. He woulda dealt with Danny White, Gary Hogeboon, and Steve Pelleur!!
[ Edited by 9moon on Feb 8, 2016 at 4:45 PM ]
I just fully believe that had TO been with the team during the Rice's era, and Dallas ended up drafting Jerry in 1985, it will be TO'S records that everyone will be chasing..

no doubt that the leadership of the team all around, woulda kept the guy's mind more focus on the game..

1) Rams at Anaheim: The game was way over, but since Steve Young couldn't get the ball to Jerry, the team ended up putting the 1st team back only throw a long TD to Jerry Rice on a simple Go pattern.

2) After losing to the Bears on a close (10-9) MNF game back in 87 I believe, Jerry went to the media stating that " I guess I'm now a blocking receiver cause that's all I was used this evening" ..

3) with Oakland, with Tim Brown having more reception on a game where they were losing, Jerry Rice went berzerk in the sideline and cursed out their OC to get him the "f**ckin ball"...

.... and JERRY RICE would have never gone close to his records now if he was drafted by Dallas in 1985.. He woulda dealt with Danny White, Gary Hogeboon, and Steve Pelleur!!
if that is JR complaining...TO should never get in the HOF

Anyone ever complain about Rice and his antics in the locker room, saying he was bad enough to get cut? Multiple times? Don't even put TO in the sane sentence as Rice.
Originally posted by Handlesit:
Look, I like TO (and he should be in the HOF, but he's going to have to wait), but to blame Mooch and say that everything TO did wrong is normal because other people did it too, is just dumb. All you have to do, is look at the fact that none of the teams that TO played with wanted him back. That is the most telling TO fact.

And yet every single team that TO played for that didnt ask him back were MUCH worse without him. Yet, he divides teams and is a cancer.

Sorry Crake....you are flat out wrong here. The most telling was there was a story about Rice SCREAMING at Mariucci on the sidelines when the Niners were WINNING by THIRTY FIVE points. You have never and will never see Terrell Owens doing that.

Just an example of how the media treats Rice versus Owens for doing the exact same thing:

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Sorry Crake....you are flat out wrong here. The most telling was there was a story about Rice SCREAMING at Mariucci on the sidelines when the Niners were WINNING by THIRTY FIVE points. You have never and will never see Terrell Owens doing that.

Just an example of how the media treats Rice versus Owens for doing the exact same thing:

lol, not even close
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Should have gotten in but being a prick they gonna make his ass wait.

lol, not even close

Not even close what? Not even close to the same situation? Or not even close to being viewed as the same thing by the announcers. If the latter, I agree with you. Rice did the same thing as Owens, yet is called a frustrated competitor. Owens does it and he is a cancer, terrible teammate, and it has no place in the NFL.

lol, not even close

Not even close what? Not even close to the same situation? Or not even close to being viewed as the same thing by the announcers. If the latter, I agree with you. Rice did the same thing as Owens, yet is called a frustrated competitor. Owens does it and he is a cancer, terrible teammate, and it has no place in the NFL.
ones at the end of his career, one is starting it

Jerry Rice wasn't doing that the majority of his whole career, Unlike TO
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Feb 8, 2016 at 5:34 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone