LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Will the FO (have the audacity to) ask for Justin Smith's signing bonus back?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will the FO (have the audacity to) ask for Justin Smith's signing bonus back?

This decision will provide an interesting perspective into the thinking and priorities of our FO. Feel free to lock this poll after our FO makes a public statement regarding this issue, which hopefully will be about five minutes after they get in the office this morning.
Wait a minute, so them potentially taking back 3/4ths of Borland's bonus was ok, but Smith, who leaves $2.186M in dead money, far more than Borland, and if they do that it's having the audacity? I just don't get it. It would be like why shouldn't the 49ers then ask Willis for his bonus money back, about $850K that is left in dead money since he left with 2 yrs left on his deal?

I just hate this topic, I'm sick of it, let the kids/guys keep their bonus money, they earned it IMO, Justin did, Willis did, and yes Borland did, he had a hell of a rookie year, and yes he retired way too early, but it's less than $466K, no big deal, we let Lattimore, and Coffee keep their bonuses, and Lattimiore never played a down, and Coffee retired after 1 yr, and got a much higher bonus, in the $800K range back in 2009.
Borland gives it back because he played 7 games then quit. Justin is a little different. Do you agree? The dollars don't mean anything, its what you did to earn the dollars. I'm not sure what you are saying. You are parading facts. Do you think the fo will be classless enough to ask for smith's bonus back?
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Wait a minute, so them potentially taking back 3/4ths of Borland's bonus was ok, but Smith, who leaves $2.186M in dead money, far more than Borland, and if they do that it's having the audacity? I just don't get it. It would be like why shouldn't the 49ers then ask Willis for his bonus money back, about $850K that is left in dead money since he left with 2 yrs left on his deal?

I just hate this topic, I'm sick of it, let the kids/guys keep their bonus money, they earned it IMO, Justin did, Willis did, and yes Borland did, he had a hell of a rookie year, and yes he retired way too early, but it's less than $466K, no big deal, we let Lattimore, and Coffee keep their bonuses, and Lattimiore never played a down, and Coffee retired after 1 yr, and got a much higher bonus, in the $800K range back in 2009.

Must say, I agree with this.
Comparing Just Smiths career to Borland's, Coffee's and Lattimore is a complete joke. None of them deserve the same treatment as Justin does sorry
[ Edited by Jesu80ncleats on May 19, 2015 at 5:56 AM ]
Has he officially retired?
Yes, we just must get this 2 million back!!!! Let's treat this guy like he is nothing.. has done nothing for us.. and doesn't deserve the money! Maybe we could take this further and sue him for not informing us of his retirement decision soon enough?!? This should make us the darlings of the League all over again! Whooooooo!!!!!!! Get that 2 money! Show the world what we do when this team gets rejected!

He didn't finish what he agreed to. I vote yes get the money back.

It's clear to me. Justin and Pat retired after multiple AllPro seasons with us due to injury. Lattimore retired to injury. Borland and Coffee quit the game unrelated to injury after we invested premium picks on them. We owe them contractually nothing but the way CB and Coffee quit the game no one would bat an eye if we took back the cash. Justin and Pat will be wearing red coats someday so they've earned the money in the hearts of fans. I agree the money paid to CB Coffee and Lattimore is minimal but retirement due to injury is much different than quitting the game unrelated to it
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
He didn't finish what he agreed to. I vote yes get the money back.

He couldn't be the guy he wanted due to injury. Kinda like me marrying my wife then she promised to be my companion and give me a family then she can't due to physical inability. Quite different than if we got married then she told me to go f*** myself about the baby because she didn't choose to do or go through with it despite being physically capable

It's Business.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Jed York doesn't care about white people.
Has the 49ers ask for anything back so far ?

Didn't Borland do it on his own ?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I hope not.
  • keveh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
He couldn't be the guy he wanted due to injury. Kinda like me marrying my wife then she promised to be my companion and give me a family then she can't due to physical inability. Quite different than if we got married then she told me to go f*** myself about the baby because she didn't choose to do or go through with it despite being physically capable

This analogy is amazing!
Share 49ersWebzone