There are 185 users in the forums

Special Teams and Jumbo Packages

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Now that the draft has passed and we await training camps, I like everyone else wonder about the possibilities of our new players, in particular the draft picks. I am thinking on special teams such as PAT and Jumbo Packages if the niners would use both Arik Armstead and Trenton Brown along with someone like Bell with Vernon Davis etc.

As we all know, Arik also played OL in high school and the niners who have taken DL personnel and turned them into FB, so I would like to see him lined up also as a tackle eligible wr since he also played basketball and possibly has good hands not to mention being 6-7 1/8 inch tall with 33" arms. Brown same thing, the guy is 6-8 with 36" arms. Couple them with Vernon and Bell who is 6-6 that would be a very big targets, especially in the red zone where speed comes a little less into play.

The zone is always talking about us needing big targets, and even against the seachickens they would dwarf them and even more so against those who don't have big DBs. The good thing is that people won't bring in extra DB's cause they gear up for the run which we could still do, but with this package it just makes it more efficient I would think. Not to mention, I would like to see Richard Sherman trying to bump and run Arik or Trenton when they are going down hill like it is a run but instead knocking him on his butt and kicking open because of it (or would that be a penalty?).

Then there is Bell who can not only catch, but run as an H-Back or even throw. Makes the D have to think a lot. Even if we run several times a game you can keep doing it because of the variations with Kaep still being able to do a read option.

Or do you guys don't this would work or is flawed?

What do you guys think?
  • thl408
I can see putting AA in a position to block FGs as a DT on the FG coverage unit. Trenton can work in jumbo sets for short yardage where it's just fire straight ahead kind of blocking. The other ideas you presented are very outside the box.

Bell throwing the ball? I know he's a QB, but how much practice time should they dedicate to this? AA as a WR? Sounds mad scientist-ish. Then again, there's JJ Watt catching TD passes.
Originally posted by thl408:
I can see putting AA in a position to block FGs as a DT on the FG coverage unit. Trenton can work in jumbo sets for short yardage where it's just fire straight ahead kind of blocking. The other ideas you presented are very outside the box.

Bell throwing the ball? I know he's a QB, but how much practice time should they dedicate to this? AA as a WR? Sounds mad scientist-ish. Then again, there's JJ Watt catching TD passes.

Well we had a few DL catching passes for us in the Jim Harbaugh era.

LOL-mad scientist, I guess I am just hoping that the niners consider it and the other teams go nah- they wouldn't, would they? Then pow, they go WTH happened?

Like punching them in the mouth and all of sudden you give them a kiss on the lips-haha.
  • thl408
Originally posted by WildBill:

Well we had a few DL catching passes for us in the Jim Harbaugh era.

LOL-mad scientist, I guess I am just hoping that the niners consider it and the other teams go nah- they wouldn't, would they? Then pow, they go WTH happened?

Like punching them in the mouth and all of sudden you give them a kiss on the lips-haha.

Will be interesting to see how frequently Tomsula dials up the trick plays. Some coaches never go to them, some always go to them if the opportunity presents itself. If AA can catch the ball, and Bell can throw the ball, I'm all for whatever moves the chains and scores TDs.
Will be interesting to see how frequently Tomsula dials up the trick plays. Some coaches never go to them, some always go to them if the opportunity presents itself. If AA can catch the ball, and Bell can throw the ball, I'm all for whatever moves the chains and scores TDs.
I like the thought of letting Bell function as a read-option QB in short yardage and 2 point situations, it takes Kap out of harms way in those tight field situations and depending on what the rule changes are regarding extra points he could turn out to be a real weapon.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
I like the thought of letting Bell function as a read-option QB in short yardage and 2 point situations, it takes Kap out of harms way in those tight field situations and depending on what the rule changes are regarding extra points he could turn out to be a real weapon.

Yup. I wonder if Bell will be our snap catcher too so we can run tricks,plays n e time as well?
I just want to see Trenton in there, his shadow covering up the 2 hole and 4 hole. Then as you say, fire straight ahead. Surely he can do that. I would like to see if he can level 2 guys. If the sun is at his back and his shadow covers two holes...now that would be intimidating.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Now that the draft has passed and we await training camps, I like everyone else wonder about the possibilities of our new players, in particular the draft picks. I am thinking on special teams such as PAT and Jumbo Packages if the niners would use both Arik Armstead and Trenton Brown along with someone like Bell with Vernon Davis etc.

As we all know, Arik also played OL in high school and the niners who have taken DL personnel and turned them into FB, so I would like to see him lined up also as a tackle eligible wr since he also played basketball and possibly has good hands not to mention being 6-7 1/8 inch tall with 33" arms. Brown same thing, the guy is 6-8 with 36" arms. Couple them with Vernon and Bell who is 6-6 that would be a very big targets, especially in the red zone where speed comes a little less into play.

The zone is always talking about us needing big targets, and even against the seachickens they would dwarf them and even more so against those who don't have big DBs. The good thing is that people won't bring in extra DB's cause they gear up for the run which we could still do, but with this package it just makes it more efficient I would think. Not to mention, I would like to see Richard Sherman trying to bump and run Arik or Trenton when they are going down hill like it is a run but instead knocking him on his butt and kicking open because of it (or would that be a penalty?).

Then there is Bell who can not only catch, but run as an H-Back or even throw. Makes the D have to think a lot. Even if we run several times a game you can keep doing it because of the variations with Kaep still being able to do a read option.

Or do you guys don't this would work or is flawed?

What do you guys think?

As long as Sherman gets clowned... V. Davis goes 40 yards for a TD... Bolden out reaches for a TD and Beast mode doest enter the Beast mode
Share 49ersWebzone