LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 423 users in the forums

What is the single most important change you'd like to see in the 2015 49ers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is the single most important change you'd like to see in the 2015 49ers?

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I hope fans are picking up on these things and taking notice (these are significant IMHO)!

• The up-tempo practiced ended 30 minutes early due to the team's ability to run scripted plays in frequent succession; welcome back WCO!
  • Up-tempo to run plays around 20-25 seconds
  • Major RZ focus (TE's, RB's and WR's involved)
  • Installing a ZBS
  • Installing more blitzes to confuse QB's
  • Tons of passes to the RB's already
  • CK passing to "check-downs" including T.Smith
  • Big-time focus on WR-specific drills to develop young WR's such as Patton (great day from all 3 WR positions) and Jacobs and got several contributions from the UDFA class
  • Several deep shots taken as well (VD, T.Smith, UDFA's, etc.)
  • Most ACL-guys back and looking great like Hunter, Jacobs, Thomas, Reaser, etc.
  • For the first time in ages, the media was allowed to roam around the practice fields and take copious notes all day long (subsequent interviews were also very good with positive exchanges)

[email protected]

Reporters were able to watch all of Thursday's OTA session and were -- heart be still -- also able to walk around each of the fields instead of being restricted to one spot. Which is to say, there was a lot more close observation than in previous years.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article21634542.html#storylink=cpy
Positives:
-Hunter looks to be back to form
-Hayne looking good
-Martin getting valuable reps at C as starter
-Smelter working out with trainers
-Brooks looks in good shape
-Reaser still has that blazing speed
-McDonald looks to have no issues with the back

Negatives:
-Kilgore still rehabbing
-Concerning that Dorsey is still rehabbing from his bicep tear. This was an injury that McDonald played through and was back starting the next season after he tore his.
-A little concerned that Brock and Ward were not playing (not sure if Brock just took the day off). Foot injuries with your key DB's is very worrisome.

Excellent piggie-back.

Also concerns about Boone and Davis' asses not showing up to learn the ZBS.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 22, 2015 at 12:15 PM ]
I hope fans are picking up on these things and taking notice (these are significant IMHO)!

• The up-tempo practiced ended 30 minutes early due to the team's ability to run scripted plays in frequent succession; welcome back WCO!
  • Up-tempo to run plays around 20-25 seconds
  • Major RZ focus (TE's, RB's and WR's involved)
  • Installing a ZBS
  • Installing more blitzes to confuse QB's
  • Tons of passes to the RB's already
  • CK passing to "check-downs" including T.Smith
  • Big-time focus on WR-specific drills to develop young WR's such as Patton (great day from all 3 WR positions) and Jacobs and got several contributions from the UDFA class
  • Several deep shots taken as well (VD, T.Smith, UDFA's, etc.)
  • Most ACL-guys back and looking great like Hunter, Jacobs, Thomas, Reaser, etc.
  • For the first time in ages, the media was allowed to roam around the practice fields and take copious notes all day long (subsequent interviews were also very good with positive exchanges)

[email protected]

Reporters were able to watch all of Thursday's OTA session and were -- heart be still -- also able to walk around each of the fields instead of being restricted to one spot. Which is to say, there was a lot more close observation than in previous years.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article21634542.html#storylink=cpy
Positives:
-Hunter looks to be back to form
-Hayne looking good
-Martin getting valuable reps at C as starter
-Smelter working out with trainers
-Brooks looks in good shape
-Reaser still has that blazing speed
-McDonald looks to have no issues with the back

Negatives:
-Kilgore still rehabbing
-Concerning that Dorsey is still rehabbing from his bicep tear. This was an injury that McDonald played through and was back starting the next season after he tore his.
-A little concerned that Brock and Ward were not playing (not sure if Brock just took the day off). Foot injuries with your key DB's is very worrisome.

Excellent piggie-back.

Also concerns about Boone and Davis' asses not showing up to learn the ZBS.

oh yeah, that too. Are you concerned at all that Dorsey's rehab is still going on for a bicep tear? he is going to be needed big time this year.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I say bring back the old Walsh Philosophy especiall on offerense regarding "Lets Come out Swingging!!"
Originally posted by 9moon:
I say bring back the old Walsh Philosophy especiall on offerense regarding "Lets Come out Swingging!!"

you ARE a genius.
oh yeah, that too. Are you concerned at all that Dorsey's rehab is still going on for a bicep tear? he is going to be needed big time this year.

Hmmm. I was actually more concerned about Ian TBH. But to a smaller degree, Dorsey. Tomsula sounded encouraged by his rehab and where he's at so well see.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Patton interview:

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/1-on-1-49ers-WR-Quinton-Patton-Shines-at-OTAs/260cb04a-d87f-42c9-9037-8b2519a3e2b2

Interesting to hear him say the focus is now on technique and being a technician rather than going out and relying on athletic ability, which I take to be a comment on the previous coaching regime.
I want to see more tempo and faster pace...This helps to keep the defense from easily setting up and keeps the pass rush tired. In the past, the the pass rush knew they had to full clock to catch their breathe, dissect our plays, and go all out on every pass rush. Not only that we usually wait to the last possible second to snap the ball which lets the edge rushers fire off the line knowing that the ball has to be snapped. I would love to see some no-huddle drives with all the athleticism we have handling the ball.
Originally posted by Buchy:
Patton interview:

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/1-on-1-49ers-WR-Quinton-Patton-Shines-at-OTAs/260cb04a-d87f-42c9-9037-8b2519a3e2b2

Interesting to hear him say the focus is now on technique and being a technician rather than going out and relying on athletic ability, which I take to be a comment on the previous coaching regime.

I was literally just watching that too and thinking the same...not relying on just physical ability. We had some crappy former coaches!

Even more importantly I love the repeated theme that Bowman started..."...all about business!"
[ Edited by NCommand on May 26, 2015 at 9:58 AM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
Scoring
Buchy, that made me sick. No fundamentals, just rely on athleticism. No coaching either. No work on moves . No work on reading the D sets. No WR coaching, no O coaching , no Head coaching. And some of you wonder why so many others are/were glad to see harbaw move on? Relying on athleticism. yeah, right on. What a bunch of coaching losers....and welcome to the JT show.

Just to recap what we've been hearing from the media and note that these reports seems to be remarkably similar and consistent as the media is now allowed to thoroughly view practices for as long as they want now and have full access.

These were the NT big concerns during the HaRomVic era and has this new regime attacked any of these issues during these OTA's?:

Get plays promptly into the huddle; less pre-snap motion - CHECK
More ball control passing; short passes to RBs/TEs - CHECK
Highlight Kap's mobility (scrambles, read-option, rollouts) - CHECK
Shift to predominantly zone blocking run scheme - CHECK
Improved blitz pickup/pass protection (Offensive line) - Pending
More defensive blitz packages/blitz frequency - CHECK
More press, bump, and run; less off coverage alignment (CBs) - CHECK
More playing time for young players, to aid development - Pending
Red Zone efficiency - CHECK/Pending

Naturally, we won't know until game days of how many young guys will be seen as developed and ready to start but the overall impression is that young guys are hungry, seem to be developing and they'll be given their chances for sure to earn more playing time even over more accomplished veterans. While there seems to be a heavy focus on improving the red zone play (and scoring TD's vs. FG's), this too is pending given we won't know until live action, how effective we'll be. Finally, the only big concern we have is the OL, in particular, the right side of the OL with Boone and Davis out. While reports are encouraging about Pears (RG) and Brown (RT) and the developmental reps are always great, with the move to a ZBS, this line needs to play in unison and get set in stone quickly. Much of the season hinges on these guys. As to the rest of the CHECK's, we've seen countless reports of us working on these issues.

All in all, the new coaching staff is off to a great start and there are plenty of videos to demonstrate some of the things they are working on re: player development and new scheme/philosophy. No major injuries. And right now, there is some FIERCE competition at CB...it's just a matter of time before the DL and OL are the same.
get back to a less predictable power running attack , it seemed we lost some creativity last season and didn't see too many exotic blocking schemes with extra lineman like we did the previous seasons ....all I know is we need to bust some people in the mouth early and be that big bad bully again
Time to revisit. Have this coaching staff addressed anymore of these issues?
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Time to revisit. Have this coaching staff addressed anymore of these issues?

They appear to be getting the plays in. Not that it would be difficult to out preform HaRomen in that department.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buchy:
Patton interview:

Henry and Curry, our new wide receiver coaches, are doing the work that they are supposed to be doing.

That is good news.
Share 49ersWebzone