LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

What is the single most important change you'd like to see in the 2015 49ers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is the single most important change you'd like to see in the 2015 49ers?

Cheaper beer (price wise, not quality wise)
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on May 14, 2015 at 12:03 PM ]
Originally posted by English:
I want to see better playcalling, but I voted for more playing time for young players. And I think we will get both.

This-but since it is not on the list, I chose more short passes to the RB and TE, but add more seam routes for the TE too.
  • thl408
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Improved pass protection. Without that, the other stuff doesn't matter as much.

Except for the more short/ball control passing one,which is another path to solving the same problem.

TBH I think it's kind of more realistic than the "improved pass protection" or "better red zone efficiency" ones, as both of those, to some degree are fancy ways to say "I want the players to play better." All of the other ones, including shorter ball control passing, are actually things that CAN be changed instantly simply through an adjustment in strategy.

I agree that an emphasis in incorporating RBs into the passing game is a 'simple' coaching point, and that 'better pass pro' involves coaching and talent. There is a difference between playcalling and coaching. Playcalling will get RBs into the passing game. Coaching, in addition to better talent, will improve pass protection. We simply don't know if the new left guard is better than Iupati in pass pro, although he better be.

Blitz pickup was one area that the 49ers never seemed to get right last season. This can be attributed to Boone taking the year off, starting a rookie at center for most of the season, and Iupati's shortcomings. I don't know how much of the poor blitz pickup was attributed to coaching, incorrect protection audibles, or talent, but an improvement in this area will allow Kap to make better decisions in the passing game.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

Except for the more short/ball control passing one,which is another path to solving the same problem.

TBH I think it's kind of more realistic than the "improved pass protection" or "better red zone efficiency" ones, as both of those, to some degree are fancy ways to say "I want the players to play better." All of the other ones, including shorter ball control passing, are actually things that CAN be changed instantly simply through an adjustment in strategy.

Even though the short, ball control passing is another way to help, ultimately better pass protection improves your ability to successfully implement both facets of the passing game -- short and long.

Our vertical threats are rendered almost useless if the line can't hold long enough for the deep stuff to develop. Without that, the defense realizes all they have to do is rush us and clamp down on the backs and TEs in the flat while crushing any receivers crossing over the middle on shorter or intermediate routes.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 14, 2015 at 12:12 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:

For me it's close between 'ball control passing' and 'better pass pro', but I'll also go with better pass protection. The 'ball control, passes to the RBs/TEs' aspect was an adjustment that had to be made when it was obvious the 2014 Oline couldn't provide a consistent pocket. If the pass protection holds up 2015, it will allow for a lot of things to fall in line. The importance of including RBs in the passing game can be reduced if Kap is given time in the pocket to scan downfield for his WRs.

A wider variety of plays can be called, more complex, longer developing route combinations can be dialed up. The deep portion of the middle of the field can be targeted. If pass pro doesn't hold up, then Torrey Smith is relegated to running shorter routes which isn't why he is being paid the big bucks. As much as we say Kap can throw the short pass, we know he can throw to the intermediate/deep routes. All this leads to faster QB/WR/TE development in the passing game.
Kap faces a lot of cover3 and all zone coverages break down if pass protection holds up and the passing concepts are allowed to play out. This can help a lot in beating the coverages that Kap is seeing.

Bingo.
  • thl408
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
To see Kap evolve his efficiency as a pocket passer, having correct footwork, going through his progressions, evading the rush with subtle movements instead of breaking into a sprint to run away from it, and finding the open man.

The only Kap specific option was his mobility, but I think what you want to vote is 'better pass protection'. All those items you listed can start with better pass pro. If he's given adequate time, he can make his reads/progressions, have proper mechanics, make accurate throws. Develop.
I'd like to see a screen pass before I die in 60 years.....
To see Kap evolve his efficiency as a pocket passer, having correct footwork, going through his progressions, evading the rush with subtle movements instead of breaking into a sprint to run away from it, and finding the open man.

The only Kap specific option was his mobility, but I think what you want to vote is 'better pass protection'. All those items you listed can start with better pass pro. If he's given adequate time, he can make his reads/progressions, have proper mechanics, make accurate throws. Develop.
Pass protection shouldn't really be a choice as the change is a must...the whole world saw how bad our OL was
They're all good and important.

I picked Red Zone efficiency.

Just totally exasperating watching the pathetic JH/Roman offensive scheme that relied completely on FG's.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Pass protection shouldn't really be a choice as the change is a must...the whole world saw how bad our OL was

The wars are still won in the trenches.

Thl, despite your protestations, I didn't vote, because I think wide open D, wide open O are equally important. So I would like to see substantially more blitz paks on D, and an O that consists of a lot more RB passes in the flats or backfield. WCO if you wish. Not to give short shrift to the running game, but a passing game that makes sense also.

Ok, now I will go back and rethink the ONE thing, altho these are both equally important to me.

Ok, I re-thot it and voted more passes to RBs, TEs. As NCommand noted, your list hit virtually all the weaknesses we had last several yrs.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 14, 2015 at 12:29 PM ]
I would love to see a team that consistently converted 3rd and short due to our O line becoming a healthy/dominant force
I got a few here not mentioned i have been thinking about..

1. How about just running the football? The eagles game last year was so frustrating we were getting 5+ every run and harbaugh wanted to keep going 5 wide. I know statistically we ran the ball a lot last year but it was so predictable, Romans play calling was horrendous until the final few games of the year. I would be willing to bet we lead the NFL in rushing attempts this year.

2. Health (knock on wood) the injuries piled up last year and with the long playoff runs the prior three years. Hopefully this year the oline can stay healthy cause Martin on the field was awful.

3. Carlos Hyde. I love frank but at this point in his career he's not making many explosive plays. I think Hyde can give us a few big runs in each game that change the game.

4. Passrush. In my mind I think we could have a top 5 passrush this year. Aldon smith hopefully plays 16 games, with lynch brooks and Harold. Along with bowman back, I think our passrush should be much improved.
Play to win, not to not lose.
Originally posted by KaeptinKrunch:
I got a few here not mentioned i have been thinking about..

1. How about just running the football? The eagles game last year was so frustrating we were getting 5+ every run and harbaugh wanted to keep going 5 wide. I know statistically we ran the ball a lot last year but it was so predictable, Romans play calling was horrendous until the final few games of the year. I would be willing to bet we lead the NFL in rushing attempts this year.

2. Health (knock on wood) the injuries piled up last year and with the long playoff runs the prior three years. Hopefully this year the oline can stay healthy cause Martin on the field was awful.

3. Carlos Hyde. I love frank but at this point in his career he's not making many explosive plays. I think Hyde can give us a few big runs in each game that change the game.

4. Passrush. In my mind I think we could have a top 5 passrush this year. Aldon smith hopefully plays 16 games, with lynch brooks and Harold. Along with bowman back, I think our passrush should be much improved.

Seriously, how snake-bitten can one team be not just with the quantity but the quality of the injuries and WHEN they occurred. Good one!

And you touched on a good one...situational awareness on offense and defense (i.e offense, if something is working, stay with it, use one play to set up another, dictate vs. being dictated, using the right personnel and when to take shots (cough, Crabtree, cough, fade-route to the corner of the EZ)...on defense, if Ward is getting torched in 1on1's, consider a personnel change, play more jam press vs. off coverage if the clean releases are killing us, etc.).
Share 49ersWebzone