There are 421 users in the forums

Trade Andy Lee?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Interesting article.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/performance-of-young-punters-altering-nfl-teams-approach-to-position-b99255494z1-258381151.html

Maybe this is why Trent drafted Pinnion.

If we did trade Lee - what do you guys think we could get??
Pinnion = Lee

ohhhhhh NT

Save us Andy Lee. This time not from play calling or untimely penalties.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
if he does just as well as lee if not better in pre season and if he can kick the ball into and beyond the end zone,, yes take a chance, save a bunch of money, cut or trade lee. we have just as good a punter who is younger and cheaper, we make teams start out from the 20 or less and then all dawson has to do with his older leg is do field goals. sure it is not the biggest situation we are dealing with in regards to positions but it would be a good plan to me
We shouldn't trade him to the Packers though.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Do I live in some magical parallel universe where Andy Lee had a good year last year? Dude wasn't close to as good as he was a couple years ago. Not sure if it's age or not-give-a-f**kness, but he's being paid way too much money to be a middle of the pack punter. This rookie only needs to be slightly above average to be better than Lee was last year. I would get the pick more if his college success was better, but I'm no expert so I assume he must be pretty impressive in his workouts.

of course this is the truth, i love dawson but when was the last time he kicked the ball out of the end zone?
Originally posted by verb1der:
Pinnion = Lee

ohhhhhh NT
Do I live in some magical parallel universe where Andy Lee had a good year last year? Dude wasn't close to as good as he was a couple years ago. Not sure if it's age or not-give-a-f**kness, but he's being paid way too much money to be a middle of the pack punter. This rookie only needs to be slightly above average to be better than Lee was last year. I would get the pick more if his college success was better, but I'm no expert so I assume he must be pretty impressive in his workouts.

You can't give up on Andy Lee after one bad year, he deserves more than that.
Pinnion = Lee

ohhhhhh NT

How about after 1 bad year, 1 bad set of OTA's, and a bad pre-season?

He'd better improve before the first regular season game, or he's going to be an ex-49'er.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socal9er42:

He'd better improve before the first regular season game, or he's going to be an ex-49'er.

agree, this is the nfl and if we can make ourselves better in any area, you do it,, if you can save some money that is a extra plus. everyone needs competition, even lee. not sure if you needed it in a fifth round pick but we are beyond that now. jesus, look at how many chances we gave roman only to get screwed time and time again.
We can trade him for NE first round pick next year....

Originally posted by socal9er42:
Pinnion = Lee

ohhhhhh NT

While it doesn't hurt to draft a back up for depth, we can't just give up on a pro bowl punter and look to trade him after one bad year, geez that's harsh.

Andy Lee will be fine.
While it doesn't hurt to draft a back up for depth, we can't just give up on a pro bowl punter and look to trade him after one bad year, geez that's harsh.

Andy Lee will be fine.
the year before he wasnt so hot...his play is the reason we drafted a punter
Pinnion = Lee

ohhhhhh NT

I'm not advocating that. But that doesn't mean we should ignore the position and hope that last year was an aberration. The staff obviously knows what's up with these guys far more than us. Even if this pick kicks a fire under Lee's ass to step his game back up, then it's a positive. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
drafting a punter means a lot in my book..we always brought in FA Kickers and punters
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
You just don't trade an Andy muthaf**king Lee.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
if he gets out punted in practice fair and square then yes you do make a change. good lord, lee is starting to achieve nate davis stature on the web zone in some quarters. if it is best for the team you do it, sentimentality be damned.. and i trust some you people would also be happy with a guy who could actually make teams start out from the 20 in our games. we could save some money to apply to someone like aldon, if he deserves a pay day at the end of the year. its called forward thinking and taking care of your financial house,, i know that is an illegal concept in many quarters here in the web zone but that is how you are the upper tier of the nfl
Share 49ersWebzone