LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 140 users in the forums

Aldon w/Out Justin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I still haven't given up hope of Justin returning. I wonder if his decision is based on how JT does and whether he thinks we have enough to make a legit run this yr.

I think this is closer to the truth.

And if I was Justin I'd just hang it up. I mean, why risk your health when you know the team is in rebuilding mode with a patchwork coaching staff.

I'll be shocked if he plays this year.
Prepare to be shocked
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I still haven't given up hope of Justin returning. I wonder if his decision is based on how JT does and whether he thinks we have enough to make a legit run this yr.

And if I was Justin I'd just hang it up. I mean, why risk your health when you know the team is in rebuilding mode with a patchwork coaching staff.

Prepare to be shocked

Says the guy who said that "Justin Smith is officially retired".
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Prepare to be shocked
hope you are right allthetime,, but if he goes our depth is still good. i think most of the good mature posters know that his decision to play football has nothing to do with the changes that have been made or the coaches who are coaching. if that were the case he would have gotten out when nolan was here let alone when sing was here
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by cciowa:
part of me thinks he will retire
part of me thinks he may come back for the start of the year
part of me thinks the decision has actually already been made and the team is aware of it
I need to stop saying "part of me"
if he retires at least , unlike lott and other stars, he goes out on his own terms with no hard feelings. i also think his decision will have nothing to do with who the head coach is or how good we will be or will not be. country is all about football and team, regardless of the records. if it were anything else he would have tried to get out in the dark years . I just get sad when i think of all those wasted years of high quality play people like he , willis and gire put forth for us on some really bad teams. then i get really proud of them for staying

Basically your saying you don't know what to think lol
That or he has multiple personality disorder.
well that has already been established on multiple occasions oakland
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I'm w/you there.

respectfully disagree with my good friends here. i could be wrong and thats ok but i do not think that has anything to do with how he approaches the game. . if he does retire i would break my cardinal rule of good players not making good coaches and would love to see him still with the team is some capacity.
Part of me wants Smith to retire just so we can see what we have in Aldon solo. I know Aldon is a great pass rusher regardless, but is he HOF material?

Prepare to be shocked
hope you are right allthetime,, but if he goes our depth is still good. i think most of the good mature posters know that his decision to play football has nothing to do with the changes that have been made or the coaches who are coaching. if that were the case he would have gotten out when nolan was here let alone when sing was here

Oh....as if Justin would even contemplate retirement during the Nolan/Sing years.

C'mon man, do you really believe that the new coaching staff does not factor at all in Justin Smith's decision to return for another year?

Prepare to be shocked

Oh....as if Justin would even contemplate retirement during the Nolan/Sing years.

C'mon man, do you really believe that the new coaching staff does not factor at all in Justin Smith's decision to return for another year?
JS has been contemplating this decision for years now
Justin's wife wants him to play, he's playing. Happy wife, happy life....
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Part of me wants Smith to retire just so we can see what we have in Aldon solo. I know Aldon is a great pass rusher regardless, but is he HOF material?
it is a interesting thing to ponder. sooner or later we need to see our team without justin. its just sad that time is very very close which is why alot of us would like to delay it.. however if justin take a willis approach and feels he can no longer play at a high level then yes he should retire. i would hate for him to be a lesser player than what we are used to. always sad when players stay to long. i hold out hopes they will work something out and he can join the team late in pre season. now that would suck in a very small way cuz some guy who has busted it for weeks may get cut, but with country, its ok!

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Justin's wife wants him to play, he's playing. Happy wife, happy life....

hahah,, this should not be underestimated!

Patchwork coaching staff? WOW shaking my head.

do you think He would not be deciding whether to come back if Fraudbaugh was still here? do you miss Fraudbaugh? it`s a know fact that Tomsula is really liked by the Defensive Linemen of the 9ers......so I think it is actually a decision Cowboy will make not based on who coaching the team.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

Patchwork coaching staff? WOW shaking my head.

If you don't think $6.5 million dollar paycheck isn't playing a big part if he want's to come back, I don't know what else to say lol...that's not chump change and he would be a rotational player that doesn't even have to practice lol.

I won't be surprised if he comes back because of the contract, SF bending over backwards for him, and that fact that he loves football.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
If you don't think $6.5 million dollar paycheck isn't playing a big part if he want's to come back, I don't know what else to say lol...that's not chump change and he would be a rotational player that doesn't even have to practice lol.

I won't be surprised if he comes back because of the contract, SF bending over backwards for him, and that fact that he loves football.

Agree
Share 49ersWebzone