LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Way Too Early 53-man Roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
couple things which probably have already been talked about.

1: Bush is making more money than Hunter who's coming off two serious injuries...I think with the drafting Davis the writing is on the wall for Hunter.
2: Carrier just got a extension, I don't see Bell contributing much (maybe in the red-zone) this year...don't think he will be active game days though.
3. To think that Patton will get cut in favor of a UDFA is kinda silly...Patton is cheap, young, and has experience on the team..I think they have 5-6 WRs active and the UDFA better love ST if they want to be on the team.
4. I think you need to move Pears up the list, he is has over a million in salary this year, he will be active on game days.
5. Agreed Harold needs to pack on some LBs, but Skuta was rolling around at 250 last year
6.Wilhoite is our starting strong-side LBer..period. Hicks was a reach in the 3rd IMO,Kendricks went before us in the 2nd and is pretty small to be a 3-down LB. Tartt is almost the same size as him.
7. Ward is our nickle CB, DJ IMO should be a starting outside CB, wright was down right awful but Baalke has been able to take lemons and turn them into lemonade ...also don't count out Reaser kid has some ability when healthy.

training camp should be crazy...a lot of new faces and young players trying to finally get some snaps

yeah Reaser has some serious skills and his bloodline is of Sean Taylor...Yes I agree pretty much with your points, think Wright better pan out in training camp,don`t want him taking up a roster spot for someone who can be useful to us.

let's hope he can be our next Rogers or Cox

1: Bush is making more money than Hunter who's coming off two serious injuries...I think with the drafting Davis the writing is on the wall for Hunter.
2: Carrier just got a extension, I don't see Bell contributing much (maybe in the red-zone) this year...don't think he will be active game days though.
3. To think that Patton will get cut in favor of a UDFA is kinda silly...Patton is cheap, young, and has experience on the team..I think they have 5-6 WRs active and the UDFA better love ST if they want to be on the team.
4. I think you need to move Pears up the list, he is has over a million in salary this year, he will be active on game days.
5. Agreed Harold needs to pack on some LBs, but Skuta was rolling around at 250 last year
6.Wilhoite is our starting strong-side LBer..period. Hicks was a reach in the 3rd IMO,Kendricks went before us in the 2nd and is pretty small to be a 3-down LB. Tartt is almost the same size as him.
7. Ward is our nickle CB, DJ IMO should be a starting outside CB, wright was down right awful but Baalke has been able to take lemons and turn them into lemonade ...also don't count out Reaser kid has some ability when healthy.

training camp should be crazy...a lot of new faces and young players trying to finally get some snaps
1. I cannot disagree with that.
2. Fair enough.
3. I have no problem with keeping Patton. But you do know that we brought in 5 rookie FA, and drafted at that position too, right? Call me silly but somebody is looking for an upgrade. At the very least Patton is on serious notice. And I'd love to keep 6 WR's, but how do we make that number fit?
4. So put Pears over Kilgore and Thomas?
5. Good point. But guy in from of him too.
6. Wilhoite is a backup who started by default. And with Borland off the field there was a clear difference in how teams attacked our defense with Wilhoite on the field. Granted on Kendricks, but we could have had Perryman in the 2nd.
7. Totally agree. But Baalke turns no lemons into anything. The coaching staff does. In any event, I'm pulling for D. Johnson. I hope the coaching staff don't feel pressured to start him simply because he's a Baalke FA pick-up.

Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
A couple issues, they just gave Carrier a 2yr extension, and a $400K bonus.

I doubt Bush, who got a 1yr $2.5M deal, is inactive over Hunter or even Davis.

Bellore, who was signed for ST purposes, makes this team, as he has $305K in LTBE incentives, which is always an indication that that player makes the roster.

Dahl I think, and fear makes the roster, as he has a high guarantee in his base salary, had they intended to let him go, theyb would have been better off cutting him before they redid his deal, and saved $1.7M, now it;s only $650K saved.

I would personally drop Celek for Carrier, drop a OL for Bellore, I think Wheeler has a better shot at making the roster at ILB due to a $1M cap hit.
Yeah, I know. But looking at the roster we have now that would mean we go with only 8 OL (I CANNOT see us only carrying 8 OL), cut people like Reaser and go with maybe 5 CB's. I admit I forgot about Bellore. And that would mean that Moody, and perhaps Skov, have slim chances of making it. I disagree about Celek for Carrier, but they both haven't really wowed me though. I see you about Dahl. But with Tartt, a much better talent, I just cannot see how he stays.

Well we've gone with 8 healthy OL before, and 8 Total, we went 9 last year only due to Marcus Martin's injury, as he was the 9th OL on the roster. So it's possible.

When I compare Carrier vs Celek, Carrie has $400K gtd, where Celek has $25K gtd, so it shows that they see more in Carrier than Celek.

I can see Dahl cut, but he has gtd money so it may make it more difficult.
Money being the only reason Dahl might occupy a roster spot for yet another season? (But then, this is a strong roster overall.) I mean, if they see more in Carrier over Celek I can't where, the money be damned. But like I said, neither has really wowed me. I'd look to replace both. But from my eye Celek is better than Carrier.
We tend to have about 2-3 Special teams picks on the roster so....

Dahl will probably stay at the expense of McCray because of money and special teams, I see Bellore over Moody and I think Skov might bring more special teams value as well.

Beyond that..definitely Carrier over Celek and not just because of money...I really don't know what anyone sees in Celek...they certainly were not seeing it on the field though.
Fixed a few things. I was reminded about Bellore yesterday so I fixed that. But it really don't change my opinion about our ILB situation. And how do we make Skov fit on the 53, or even 46? You think we go with 5 CB's? 3 ILB? 7 OL? Doubtful! And conceded the Celek vs. Carrier. However, as I stated in my fix neither has wowed me. And apparently they haven't really impressed the coaching staff or FO. We just drafted two at that position, and I refuse to think that was just "BPA". Somebody somewhere wasn't thrilled at the what we have.

Skov is my bubble guy/ dark horse...if we do go thin somewhere I could see him sneaking onto the roster. For example we could surprise and keep only 3 TE's...then I could see Skov making it for the special teams value and backup ILB utility.
The ONLY way I see Skov making it is if he clearly beats out Wheeler (doubtful), we keep only 5 CB's (more doubtful), or we keep only 3 TE's (least likely). All other scenarios are unthinkable.

yeah Reaser has some serious skills and his bloodline is of Sean Taylor...Yes I agree pretty much with your points, think Wright better pan out in training camp,don`t want him taking up a roster spot for someone who can be useful to us.
Agreed. And I feel the same way about C. Dahl.

Wright is no where near Rogers or Cox.
Gabbert is one of those QBs with skills who got drafted by a crappy team and got killed. Once he gets over it and if properly coached (big ????), he could be a perfectly fine #2.

2. Fair enough.
3. I have no problem with keeping Patton. But you do know that we brought in 5 rookie FA, and drafted at that position too, right? Call me silly but somebody is looking for an upgrade. At the very least Patton is on serious notice. And I'd love to keep 6 WR's, but how do we make that number fit?
6. Wilhoite is a backup who started by default. And with Borland off the field there was a clear difference in how teams attacked our defense with Wilhoite on the field. Granted on Kendricks, but we could have had Perryman in the 2nd.
7. Totally agree. But Baalke turns no lemons into anything. The coaching staff does. In any event, I'm pulling for D. Johnson. I hope the coaching staff don't feel pressured to start him simply because he's a Baalke FA pick-up.

Thomas,Pears,Martin will be fighting for LG duties...and if Kilgore is 100% he will remain center, if not Martin will take over( Martin looks like he's in great shape judging from videos over the off-season).

Yes I know how many UDFA were brought in...there's reason they weren't drafted and Patton was though (Baalke said Patton had a great off-season) and there's also a reason Baalke didn't draft a WR (that will actually play this year). Smelter will red shirt and that pick had more to do with the future of Boldin than anything else. Like I said 5 or 6 WRs should be on the squad, I think Patton has played ST not sure Simpson does....also those UDFA need to learn ST to make the team regardless...I like Anderson to make the team out of all the other UDFAs.

Wilhoite started 16 games and played well. He will be the JACK LB I believe (Bo will be the MIKE)...he's job is to keep Bowman clean and take on guards, it's a underrated job but doesn't really require a top 5 LB IMO. Here's a good article on what he had to do last year...

http://alendumonjic.com/2015/03/20/the-friday-profile-49ers-lb-michael-wilhoite/

Baalke finds those "lemons" based on the scheme that the DC (mangini) wants to run... pretty sure that's how it works (group effort) I'm rooting for DJ to get the start as well!

Rogers was awful in Washington and Cox basically got cut by three teams before he did anything last year....you'll be amazing what a good pass rush and the right scheme can do for a CB
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 13, 2015 at 12:50 PM ]

Rogers was awful in Washington and Cox basically got cut by three teams before he did anything last year....you'll be amazing what a good pass rush and the right scheme can do for a CB
Kind of tells you what I think of Wright, don't it.

2. Fair enough.

Thomas,Pears,Martin will be fighting for LG duties...and if Kilgore is 100% he will remain center, if not Martin will take over( Martin looks like he's in great shape judging from videos over the off-season).

Yes I know how many UDFA were brought in...there's reason they weren't drafted and Patton was though (Baalke said Patton had a great off-season) and there's also a reason Baalke didn't draft a WR (that will actually play this year). Smelter will red shirt and that pick had more to do with the future of Boldin than anything else. Like I said 5 or 6 WRs should be on the squad, I think Patton has played ST not sure Simpson does....also those UDFA need to learn ST to make the team regardless...I like Anderson to make the team out of all the other UDFAs.

Wilhoite started 16 games and played well. He will be the JACK LB I believe (Bo will be the MIKE)...he's job is to keep Bowman clean and take on guards, it's a underrated job but doesn't really require a top 5 LB IMO. Here's a good article on what he had to do last year...

http://alendumonjic.com/2015/03/20/the-friday-profile-49ers-lb-michael-wilhoite/

Baalke finds those "lemons" based on the scheme that the DC (mangini) wants to run... pretty sure that's how it works (group effort) I'm rooting for DJ to get the start as well!
I think Martin will win the job if both are healthy.

Your right, there's a reason those guys weren't drafted. And Smelter will be yet another redshirt But I seriously doubt Ballke would bring that many guys in from one position just to play ST. He's definiately trying to upgrade 3rd - 5th on the depth chart. I think Baalke has resorted to throwing numbers at the long-standing WR problem, because he's clearly had troubles drafting guys that fit and stick at that position. (Maybe it's his philosophy of a prototypical WR that's failing him)

Wilhoite will play the TED in a 3-4, and indeed with the same responsibilities. But we are relying on Bowman to return to form after a serious knee injury and surgery. Not every is Adrian Peterson. Most players don't come back exactly the same after those kind of injuries and surgery. And for Baalke to rely on that, and a backup (albeit a solid backup, but a backup nonetheless) is a terrible gamble! And for me that's the bigger issue than Wilhoite. Now, we cannot relive the draft. But that don't mean imma ignore the fact that behind Bowman we are thin and vulnerable, and that assuming Bowman returns to form. Behind Bowman all we have are bodies.

Now, I hope Wilhoite proves me a total fool on this and I'll be chief among them to admit that if he do.

Bellore, who was signed for ST purposes, makes this team, as he has $305K in LTBE incentives, which is always an indication that that player makes the roster.

Dahl I think, and fear makes the roster, as he has a high guarantee in his base salary, had they intended to let him go, theyb would have been better off cutting him before they redid his deal, and saved $1.7M, now it;s only $650K saved.

I would personally drop Celek for Carrier, drop a OL for Bellore, I think Wheeler has a better shot at making the roster at ILB due to a $1M cap hit.
Yeah, I know. But looking at the roster we have now that would mean we go with only 8 OL (I CANNOT see us only carrying 8 OL), cut people like Reaser and go with maybe 5 CB's. I admit I forgot about Bellore. And that would mean that Moody, and perhaps Skov, have slim chances of making it. I disagree about Celek for Carrier, but they both haven't really wowed me though. I see you about Dahl. But with Tartt, a much better talent, I just cannot see how he stays.

Well we've gone with 8 healthy OL before, and 8 Total, we went 9 last year only due to Marcus Martin's injury, as he was the 9th OL on the roster. So it's possible.

When I compare Carrier vs Celek, Carrie has $400K gtd, where Celek has $25K gtd, so it shows that they see more in Carrier than Celek.

Money being the only reason Dahl might occupy a roster spot for yet another season? (But then, this is a strong roster overall.) I mean, if they see more in Carrier over Celek I can't where, the money be damned. But like I said, neither has really wowed me. I'd look to replace both. But from my eye Celek is better than Carrier.

Dahl will probably stay at the expense of McCray because of money and special teams, I see Bellore over Moody and I think Skov might bring more special teams value as well.

Beyond that..definitely Carrier over Celek and not just because of money...I really don't know what anyone sees in Celek...they certainly were not seeing it on the field though.
Fixed a few things. I was reminded about Bellore yesterday so I fixed that. But it really don't change my opinion about our ILB situation. And how do we make Skov fit on the 53, or even 46? You think we go with 5 CB's? 3 ILB? 7 OL? Doubtful! And conceded the Celek vs. Carrier. However, as I stated in my fix neither has wowed me. And apparently they haven't really impressed the coaching staff or FO. We just drafted two at that position, and I refuse to think that was just "BPA". Somebody somewhere wasn't thrilled at the what we have.

Skov is my bubble guy/ dark horse...if we do go thin somewhere I could see him sneaking onto the roster. For example we could surprise and keep only 3 TE's...then I could see Skov making it for the special teams value and backup ILB utility.
The ONLY way I see Skov making it is if he clearly beats out Wheeler (doubtful), we keep only 5 CB's (more doubtful), or we keep only 3 TE's (least likely). All other scenarios are unthinkable.

I love it when people make threads about way to early to predict and then defend their predictions until their burger....lol
Originally posted by rapid4:
Gabbert is one of those QBs with skills who got drafted by a crappy team and got killed. Once he gets over it and if properly coached (big ????), he could be a perfectly fine #2.

exactly, and people forget Baalke and Co. scouted him heavily b/c he was 1 of the tops QBs in the draft along with Kap

I love it when people make threads about way to early to predict and then defend their predictions until their burger....lol
Tell me about. I mean, the nerve of fans making predictions. Hell, just what the hell are fans for anyway?

2. Fair enough.

I think Martin will win the job if both are healthy.

Your right, there's a reason those guys weren't drafted. And Smelter will be yet another redshirt But I seriously doubt Ballke would bring that many guys in from one position just to play ST. He's definiately trying to upgrade 3rd - 5th on the depth chart. I think Baalke has resorted to throwing numbers at the long-standing WR problem, because he's clearly had troubles drafting guys that fit and stick at that position. (Maybe it's his philosophy of a prototypical WR that's failing him)

Wilhoite will play the TED in a 3-4, and indeed with the same responsibilities. But we are relying on Bowman to return to form after a serious knee injury and surgery. Not every is Adrian Peterson. Most players don't come back exactly the same after those kind of injuries and surgery. And for Baalke to rely on that, and a backup (albeit a solid backup, but a backup nonetheless) is a terrible gamble! And for me that's the bigger issue than Wilhoite. Now, we cannot relive the draft. But that don't mean imma ignore the fact that behind Bowman we are thin and vulnerable, and that assuming Bowman returns to form. Behind Bowman all we have are bodies.

Now, I hope Wilhoite proves me a total fool on this and I'll be chief among them to admit that if he do.

I think Thomas will win that roll if healthy...he was a stud at Clemson and I think he could be a more balanced LG than Iupati was. I think you missed my point on UDFAs being just ST players....Smith/Boldin/Ellington/Patton are our 4 top WRs unless someone get's hurt or blows up training camp. The remaining WRs will HAVE to have some sort of ST ability if they want to be on the team and active for game days. We've lost some good ST players this off-season.

If he wasn't confident in the top 4 spots at WR you'd think he would have spent one of those 10 picks on a WR that can play this year? UDFA are just that, they aren't expected to take a spot on the active roster...and if they do it tells you how bad the position really is. (FYI I wanted to move up for Cooper lol)

I wouldn't say he has a problem with drafting WRs because he hasn't really put a priority on it (drafted ONE WR in the 1st 3 rounds since being the GM). He has taking the route of FA the past couple seasons (which worked with Boldin). I think WR will be something to focus on in the 2016 draft.

Yeah we don't know how Bo will come back, but I'm guessing Trent and the medical staff have a better idea than us ...I've seen plenty of videos and read articles that show he doing all sorts of weight related stuff on his knee, it's also reported that he will be a full go at training camp. Bo isn't a everyday player, you know this man!

I didn't see much of anything for ILB in this draft, I trust Baalke at LB and CB over any other position as far as evaluation goes, has he steered us wrong at those spots yet? He brought in vets like Bishop and Wheeler both who have had seasons with over 100 tackles.

Keep your eye on Shayne Skov too...if he's healthy he could be a solid player.... He Was a Butkus Award finalist and the Cardinal's leading tackler for 3 years..
when he started all 14 games he registered 109-13-5.5 with four pass breakups and three forced fumbles

Wilhoite plays the TED LB fine and did a good job with Bo in the past...we will see how it plays out this season.

Tell me about. I mean, the nerve of fans making predictions. Hell, just what the hell are fans for anyway?

Then why not simply name it the my opinion is more valid on the future roster than everyone else's thread?
Share 49ersWebzone